Unpopular Opinions

Here's my $0.02...

1.) Teams with sports equipment in their logo. I work under an assumption that we fans have a vague understanding of the sport in which our teams play in.

2.) The amount of NBA teams with similar colors in their schemes. Also hate the shirt jerseys.

3.) Saints all-black unis. They look like a low-budget high school team.

4.) Mismatched colors on uniforms. Cowboys, I'm talking to you. Stop honoring bad fabric choices and pick a silver and blue.

5.) Non-unique MLB number fonts. I get that one company makes jerseys but stop looking like Joe's Jersey Shack in Altoona designs and makes your numbers. Be unique but match your scheme.

That is all.

• Like 1

willieMcGee_2.jpg

If you inherit Randy Johnson's facial genes, he owes you $97,000 at the very least.

51 minutes ago, tulanebc said:

Here's my $0.02...

1.) Teams with sports equipment in their logo. I work under an assumption that we fans have a vague understanding of the sport in which our teams play in.

2.) The amount of NBA teams with similar colors in their schemes. Also hate the shirt jerseys.

3.) Saints all-black unis. They look like a low-budget high school team.

4.) Mismatched colors on uniforms. Cowboys, I'm talking to you. Stop honoring bad fabric choices and pick a silver and blue.

5.) Non-unique MLB number fonts. I get that one company makes jerseys but stop looking like Joe's Jersey Shack in Altoona designs and makes your numbers. Be unique but match your scheme.

That is all.

It could be argued that the cowboys need to pick 2 blues.. Or a blue and a green.. Their helmet color is "texas blue" and their pants are metallic silver-green.. If they settled on helmet colors only, they would be navy blue and Texas blue (and white if you wanna count that too)

• Like 1

On 3/18/2017 at 5:19 AM, zigbazah said:

*Nervously whispers* The New Orleans Baby Cakes brand is good. 

To me, it isn't the branding that's the problem (I actually like most of the logos and the color scheme)...it's that stupid, stupid nickname.

• Like 2

gYH2mW9.png

2 hours ago, GeauxColonels said:

To me, it isn't the branding that's the problem (I actually like most of the logos and the color scheme)...it's that stupid, stupid nickname.

G*ddamn Baby Cakes. Just....kill the franchise and start over with a local owner that won't name the team after what they think a KING CAKE BABY is called. Beignets, okay. WT-HOLY-F IS A BABY CAKE???

Angry local just whining here...

• Like 1

willieMcGee_2.jpg

If you inherit Randy Johnson's facial genes, he owes you $97,000 at the very least.

On 3/26/2017 at 5:29 AM, Ben in LA said:

In relation to the Cubs, I like it when World Series winners wear gold-trimmed uniforms when they raise their pennants.  Having a jersey that's worn less than three times a season (and often once) is cool with me.  I honestly wouldn't mind seeing something similar in the other leagues.

Even as a Dodgers fan I have to admit those Giants jerseys were nice, especially this one.

IMG_3294.JPG

I like the Giants but the problem with these uniforms is that so much gold looks really bad against the cream base. 

the oilers are going to look really cool as a primarily orange team, with blue.

it's about time they do something colorful and unique without just aping the gretzky era continuously.

14 hours ago, tulanebc said:

G*ddamn Baby Cakes. Just....kill the franchise and start over with a local owner that won't name the team after what they think a KING CAKE BABY is called. Beignets, okay. WT-HOLY-F IS A BABY CAKE???

Angry local just whining here...

I'm right there with ya. Po' Boys would have been so much better (even if it is equally as cheesy).

• Like 3

gYH2mW9.png

42 minutes ago, GeauxColonels said:

I'm right there with ya. Po' Boys would have been so much better (even if it is equally as cheesy).

I can think of a bunch of names that are more appropriate than something that doesn't exist yet is shoehorned into the local lexicon. Krewe? Bucs? Tarpons? Fightin' Al Scramuzzas? ANYTHING is better than some made up name for a king cake baby. 

willieMcGee_2.jpg

I want the Vegas Golden Knights to succeed.  I'm not from Las Vegas but I spend a lot of time there.  Folks I've talked to are tired of being crapped on with the assertion they can't support a major league team.

• Like 4

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

On 3/29/2017 at 10:40 PM, ColeJ said:

the oilers are going to look really cool as a primarily orange team, with blue.

it's about time they do something colorful and unique without just aping the gretzky era continuously.

Well,, now they're aping the Al Hamilton era instead. Why dress like anyone but the greatest hockey player who ever lived?

4 hours ago, Ark said:

I like New Comiskey. I think it's a lot better than what they would have got if they built a "retro" ballpark.

It reminds me of Old Yankee Stadium. 

I don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be. Symmetry in ballparks is a lost art, one even lost by the White Sox as they added the kiddie area and moved the fences around. Some of the renovations were necessary and good, others I wouldn't have gone about quite the same way.

It was even more like Yankee Stadium when it still had blue seats.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

Well,, now they're aping the Al Hamilton era instead. Why dress like anyone but the greatest hockey player who ever lived?

i was under the impression that they were just going to wear the orange alternates in the playoffs, and have something orange but different next season...

if that's not the case, i retract my statement.

I'm not advocating for the Lone Stars name or against the North Stars name.... But why does the suggestion of being the Dallas Lone Stars get met with such derision when North Stars is beloved?

The argument is that you can't be plural and singular at the same time, so any Stars couldn't be Lone, only a Star can... but if we change star to wolf, and say that crazed gunman #1, crazed gunman #2, and crazed gunman #3 were all lone wolves, acting in different unrelated attacks, no one would complain. "Most lone wolves are white male hermits" would be acceptable, so why wouldn't Lone Stars be acceptable (other than the negative connotations about team work.)

Contrast this to North Stars. North doesn't describe a type of star, of which there can be more than one... It's a proper noun speaking of one specific star. THE North Star.

There are more than one lone stars in existence. There is only one North Star, so it itself can not be plural, can it?

Random thought... From a lover of the name North Stars, and a hater of the suggested name Lone Stars. Lol.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

I'm not advocating for the Lone Stars name or against the North Stars name.... But why does the suggestion of being the Dallas Lone Stars get met with such derision when North Stars is beloved?

The argument is that you can't be plural and singular at the same time, so any Stars couldn't be Lone, only a Star can... but if we change star to wolf, and say that crazed gunman #1, crazed gunman #2, and crazed gunman #3 were all lone wolves, acting in different unrelated attacks, no one would complain. "Most lone wolves are white male hermits" would be acceptable, so why wouldn't Lone Stars be acceptable (other than the negative connotations about team work.)

Contrast this to North Stars. North doesn't describe a type of star, of which there can be more than one... It's a proper noun speaking of one specific star. THE North Star.

There are more than one lone stars in existence. There is only one North Star, so it itself can not be plural, can it?

Random thought... From a lover of the name North Stars, and a hater of the suggested name Lone Stars. Lol.

I am kinda with you...I don't have the immediate negative reaction to "Lone Stars" either.  I understand why people balk at it.  This is difficult to articulate, but if you are Texan, I might say "you are a Lone Star."  So if you and your family are all Texans I might way "they are Lone Stars."  

The North Stars thing might be a little further from egregious, though.  According to this, the sate nickname, "the North Star State," is from a motto appearing on the state's flag implying that the state is "the star of the north" and therefore not directly after a specific star.

In any case, I think the name would have been OK...yeah, you could argue both should be singular, but I think you could argue the other way, too.  I guess the optics are a bit harder to digest for Dallas?  I dunno.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I have no rooting interest in tonight's NCAA basketball game as I did not go to Gonzaga or N.C. I was raised not being allowed to root for college teams and I do the same for my kids. None of them have any UW gear, as they did not go there. Someone brought me a Boston College hockey hat a couple years ago that sits in my closet, I have no affiliation with B.C. won't wear it.

I think that college and professional sports rooting are two different things. I've never been to Pittsburgh, but have no problem rooting for the Penguins. It wasn't until I started at UW that I became a fan of theirs.