Unpopular Opinions

7 hours ago, mike2sana said:

I think the Miami Marlins have a fun clean aesthetic 

please don't shoot me down.

I like it too. It feels right for Miami.

My struggle is just that the Marlins ARE 90s teal in my brain.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RichO said:

I like it too. It feels right for Miami.

My struggle is just that the Marlins ARE 90s teal in my brain.

I love the old Marlins look but it's no longer the 90s and they now actually play in Miami so I'd say they WERE 90s teal but no longer are. The current look fits them for right now and for the ballpark and the name change. If they were a brand new team and not connected to the Florida Marlins their look would be more liked. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I love the old Marlins look but it's no longer the 90s and they now actually play in Miami so I'd say they WERE 90s teal but no longer are. The current look fits them for right now and for the ballpark and the name change. If they were a brand new team and not connected to the Florida Marlins their look would be more liked. 

Definitely with you on the bold part.

The thing with the teal for me is that some teams are tied to certain windows of time. Some if it is because that's what they were when they won, sure. Some it is because the Marlins really steered hard into the 90s-ness by going teal and stuck with some version of it for so long. I have similar feelings about the Expos. I really liked those 90s uniforms they had, but the longevity of the old look made it who they were in my brain.

The Blue Jays could look good (if an imitation of the Dodgers and Royals) in a classic baseball script, but they only look right in a version of that 70s split font because they started in the late 70s, went for a truly 70s look, and rode it for a long time. And similar to the Marlins got a little boost from winning in a version of it.

The boundary between being "dated" and being identified with a time is a funky, and almost certainly very subjective thing.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, RichO said:

The boundary between being "dated" and being identified with a time is a funky, and almost certainly very subjective thing.

Good line. And you bring up a good point with the Blue Jays because I love their look but never really think about how the wordmark and numbers are absolutely a 70s font yet no one complains about it. 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2017 at 6:51 PM, Rj0498 said:

I think the Miami heat's unis are kind of boring

I personally think they're a modern classic. If they end it changing them, you know it's gonna be something complete bland... or over-the-top.

• Like 1

Ads on soccer jerseys are not bad(if done right)... let me explain.

The game is 90 minutes long with only a 15 minute break in the middle. Do to the fact that there are no ads during the game, such as the NFL or MLB, the sponsor logo can be OK. 

But only if it is done right. A simple word mark that is changed to the team's colors looks fine. Example: Arsenal

Image result for soccer kits epl

But if the sponsor is large and non team colors it looks bad. Example: Man United

Image result for soccer kits epl

IxkieML.png

On 3/24/2017 at 10:01 AM, kroywen said:

Not sure high top cleats and high socks would really go together well, though. Not sure any player has ever really combined the two - I think almost every player who wore high cuff cleats also worse relatively low cut pants.

Nelson Cruz wore LeBron cleats and high socks a few weeks ago in Detroit

s42nD3m.png

bLDaaDl.png

• Like 1

Twitter: @peteeee

E-Mail: peteschwadel@gmail.com

Dribbble!

3 hours ago, DawgPacPBH said:

Nelson Cruz wore LeBron cleats and high socks a few weeks ago in Detroit

s42nD3m.png

bLDaaDl.png

Interesting. I hate how that looks. Granted, that's a hideous shoe, but the high tops do not mesh well with high socks.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2017 at 0:58 PM, DNAsports said:

The Cleveland Browns uniforms are great. I'd say they're in the Top 4 of Nike redesigned uniforms.

Wait... there has only been seven teams redesigned since the Nike takeover...

Seattle

Minnesota

Jacksonville

Miami

Tampa Bay

Cleveland

Detroit

So if you've got them at four, that's exactly in the middle, with three teams better and three teams worse.  But they're still "great"?  How does that math work?  Or are all the Nike redesigns great to you?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Wait... there has only been seven teams redesigned since the Nike takeover...

Seattle

Minnesota

Jacksonville

Miami

Tampa Bay

Cleveland

Detroit

So if you've got them at four, that's exactly in the middle, with three teams better and three teams worse.  But they're still "great"?  How does that math work?  Or are all the Nike redesigns great to you?

I never said I ranked them at 4. I simply said they were in the Top 4. Personally, I place them at 2 behind Minnesota and in front of Miami, Detroit, Jacksonville, Seattle, and Tampa Bay in that order.

It's no secret that all redesigns have at least one flaw.

Minnesota- number serif only showing up on the first number of double digits

Cleveland- "BROWNS" woodmark on the pants

Miami- Minimal use of orange (excluding color rush)

Detroit- "LIONS" on one sleeve "WCF" on the other

Jacksonville- the helmet

Seattle- overusing the "feather" pattern

Tampa Bay- "BUCS" on one sleeve the ship on the other, the "alarm clock" numbers

Things that don't bother me about the redesigns:

Minnesota- black facemask

Cleveland- Outstretched sleeve stripes

Miami- the logo

Detroit- the color rush uniform

Jacksonville- oddly enough, the helmet

Seattle- "SEAHAWKS" inside the left outstretched sleeve stripe

Tampa Bay- the oversized logo on helmet

Things I wish was accomplished with each redesign:

Minnesota- made the top sleeve stripes flat and both stripes wider

Cleveland- smaller "CLEVELAND" woodmark

Miami- block number font

Detroit- "LIONS" on both sleeves

Jacksonville- full black helmet, all teal color rush, use gold pants in normal uniform rotation

Seattle- no unnecessary feather pattern helmet "stripe"

Tampa Bay- no pewter jersey yokes

Not sure whether it actually is unpopular or not, but when the Nashville Predators switched to the yellow helmets full time, I hated it.  Now, perhaps its just something I've become use to, but after just seeing a short clip of them in the blue lids, I'm starting to think they made the right decision with the switch.

• Like 1

I have to admit, I actually really liked this look:

IMG_6395.JPG.315ace3a30c8c4c7a6705ab6447bda29.JPG

Now granted, the Blue Jays look the best they've ever looked right now (I dare say it's the best look in the whole league), so I'm not at all screaming "bring it back!". BUT I did like the color scheme, appreciated them going out on a limb a little, and they were in my mind just a few touch-ups and tweaks (namely a little more light blue, toning down the beveling a little) from being a really excellent look.

If the Blue Jays were a 2004 expansion team and ran out of the dugout in this, I think with those tweaks it definitely could've survived and survived well. As it was, though, its days were numbered from the get-go due to the history they'd had before.

• Like 9

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png