Unpopular Opinions

On 7/3/2017 at 2:25 PM, dont care said:

Not true. I would take vegas' logo over that any day.

Agreed. That's basically a crotch level view.

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

As long as North American leagues don't get as crazy as European hockey leagues for example, I'm totally okay with jersey sponsors. The NBA's approach looks fine and fairly unimposing so far. Yes, some sponsor logos could work better with the teams' looks, but they still look better than the WNBA. Same goes for the NHL if they eventually add jersey sponsors. If they stay roughly the same size as a commemorative or captain's patch, I'm fine with it. Just don't slap a billboard below the crest or under the back number.

Same goes for the New Era logo on MLB hats. It doesn't offend me. Let the manufacturer get their due.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bradbury said:

As long as North American leagues don't get as crazy as European hockey leagues for example, I'm totally okay with jersey sponsors. The NBA's approach looks fine and fairly unimposing so far. Yes, some sponsor logos could work better with the teams' looks, but they still look better than the WNBA. Same goes for the NHL if they eventually add jersey sponsors. If they stay roughly the same size as a commemorative or captain's patch, I'm fine with it. Just don't slap a billboard below the crest or under the back number.

Same goes for the New Era logo on MLB hats. It doesn't offend me. Let the manufacturer get their due.

No no no no no no no.

• Like 6

On 7/6/2017 at 3:51 PM, raysox said:

Unpopular Opinion: The 90s Lightning logo sucked and the jerseys were meh and there's nothing redeeming or better compared to the current set. I've never seen an "add black and silver" Lightning concept that I've liked since the rebrand. it's forcing a square peg into a round hole since the logo wasn't designed to have outlines or fill.

I couldn't agree more. In general, I hate black and blue as a color scheme. The two colors are too dark to work together, and wind up competing with one another. When right next to each other, they blend in together, sometimes to the point of creating a hazy purple effect where they meet. It's utterly pointless to have two dark colors that don't play well off one another in your color scheme. The black-and-blue trend (mainly by blue teams that added BFBS) seems to have mercifully died out, and I don't want to see it revived by the Lightning.

The Lightning's current set is by far the best in their history. It's a low bar (I strongly dislike all of their previous jerseys), but better to rip off the Maple Leafs and Red Wings rather than continue the "are we a black team, a blue team, or both?" identity crisis they had before. At least now they're taking their cues from the right places, rather than from the BFBS trend.

My preferred Lightning identity would probably add in a dash of silver on their jerseys, keeping the logo as-is. Some silver striping and detailing would help set them apart from the Wings and Leafs design-wise. But no need to return to what were honestly ugly jerseys and a hideous logo.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sleuthpanther said:

Speaking of Black and Blue, I thought West Virgina using black on football uniforms was a good idea. The execution was poor just putting it on the shoulder caps, but if done right it's unique in the FBS and makes sense in the coal miner, mountaineer identity.

It makes sense in terms of their nickname but it's hideous. If they want to emphasize coal-mining they should make black an official school color and phase out navy blue.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

It makes sense in terms of their nickname but it's hideous. If they want to emphasize coal-mining they should make black an official school color and phase out navy blue.

I agree that it does not look good as they use it, but thy would never take navy blue out as the primary color. Old gold and blue are the state colors, so that would probably not happen. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_colors

I would not be opposed to a black and old gold(yellow) uniform worn once a year in a night game, though. Such as these:

Image result for wvu pro combat

IxkieML.png

8 minutes ago, JosiahWVU said:

I agree that it does not look good as they use it, but thy would never take navy blue out as the primary color. Old gold and blue are the state colors, so that would probably not happen. 

I would not be opposed to a black and old gold(yellow) uniform worn once a year in a night game, though. Such as these:

Yellow is not old gold. Old gold is metallic, like what the Saints wore till the league started moving toward pale, dull gold for some reason.

Also, those helmets are grey. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2017 at 0:06 PM, JosiahWVU said:

I agree that this is a good "one-off" type of starting point for WV.. The color used here is "anthracite"... Anthracite is a dark silvery form of coal.. The coal mining industry is what WV is known for, so it all ties together pretty well, and this shade of grey is much better with the navy and yellow than black.. Make the facemask, shoulder stripes, collar, cuffs, and numbers navy instead of black, and this is actually a good look for WV..

• Like 2

10 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I agree that this is a good "one-off" type of starting point for WV.. The color used here is "anthracite"... Anthracite is a dark silvery form of coal.. The coal mining industry is what WV is known for, so it all ties together pretty well, and this shade of grey is much better with the navy and yellow than black.. Make the facemask, shoulder stripes, collar, cuffs, and numbers navy instead of black, and this is actually a good look for WV..

I agree. I know that was not black, but it was the closest to it we have had.

IxkieML.png

8 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I think this is what people are referring to with WV and black.. 

Black sleeves

Black underarm panel

Black collar

Black facemask

Black chinstrap 

Black socks

Black cleats

Black gloves

WAY more black than a navy blue team should be using..

IMG_0633.JPG

Black added to the uniform just makes West Virginia look ugly!

• Like 4

On 7/6/2017 at 2:51 PM, raysox said:

Unpopular Opinion: The 90s Lightning logo sucked and the jerseys were meh and there's nothing redeeming or better compared to the current set. I've never seen an "add black and silver" Lightning concept that I've liked since the rebrand. it's forcing a square peg into a round hole since the logo wasn't designed to have outlines or fill.

Yup. The current "Maple Wings" identity is the best that the team has looked, and even then it's only because they're not messy and don't use fonts of a "particular vintage" (i.e. Word 97-04 Brush Script). 

Speaking of blue, the Royals looked terrible in powder road uniforms:

7e9db4068d8bed344054b210e7bfb26e--royals-baseball-pro-baseball.jpg b39205834849e66b992d459d0e5d9302.jpg

The lack of royal blue on the scripts really hurt it, along with the bulky stripes, lack of a cursive script "Kansas City" logo, and the absence of powder blue from the logos. The current home alternate is slightly better due to the minor tweaks of smaller stripes and incorporation of royal onto the scripts and numbers. No powder blue pants also makes the look easier on the eyes.

Duffy_2_7aabf761-48f5-43cf-8052-26290ad8

The only teams that ever looked "good" in powder blue were the Blue Jays and Phillies, and even they looked better with gray road uniforms.

• Like 3