Unpopular Opinions

#3. This is dumb, IMO. I hate the Blackhawks, but :censored: it their last Reebok set was gorgeous. I think only the Habs were better. I can hope the Preds can look that good someday.

• Like 2

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Since the realignment within the NHL, I think I'm coming to prefer the idea of fewer, larger divisions. While it's too late now, I liked the idea of MLB having just two divisions per league instead of three. I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I see now why many people bemoan 1993 as the year of the "last pure playoffs."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Since the realignment within the NHL, I think I'm coming to prefer the idea of fewer, larger divisions. While it's too late now, I liked the idea of MLB having just two divisions per league instead of three. I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I see now why many people bemoan 1993 as the year of the "last pure playoffs."

I also like larger divisions. Make's it harder and worth it a little more. As for..

2. I lived Houston during our hiatus between the old team and Texans. Most I know just didn't care about the NFL during the quiet years. (Except for Super Bowl in 2000. Thank you very much Rams denying Bud a Lombardi. I will never hate you ever.) I didn't even have the heart to switch to Cowboys during those years. My dad however stayed faithful to the now-Titans and we will still give him a hard time over it. If I ever move from Houston, I still be a 'Stros, Texans, Dynamo and Rockets fan. However, if wherever I moved to did not contain a current or even historical rival (so no Cards if I find myself in St. Louis) and moreso in the NL, NFC or any eastern conference then I wouldn't mind that taking on a second team.

3. This depends on whether or not you can separate fandom from design appreciation. Loathe the Titans, but their uni's not too bad of a design. OK with the Rams but their uniform dilemma is pretty much an eyesore. Colts are a thorn in our side, man they have a beautiful look. I hate what those uniforms represent but they are a good-looking representation. Our previous loss vs. the Chiefs was hard to look at, but it was easy on the eyes from a uniform standpoint.

15 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

People who switch to their local team because it's local are disloyal to their original team, and I don't like that.

Unpopular opinion alert: sports teams aren't deserving of my "loyalty" any more than my gas station or grocery store. Just do whatever makes you feel good. Life is too short to be bound by a nebulous, one-way loyalty agreement with a business.

• Like 5

It depends on why you like your original team?

If it's a team you picked when you were a kid because you liked a particular player or their jerseys, those aren't reasons to stay loyal. If it was an older family member's team and they raised you to like them because they like them, that's different but really, odds are that you're dumping a big market team for a small(er) market team and that is generally OK. The big market team will survive.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Quillz said:

This has got me thinking about what methods would produce the truly best format for determining the champion. I figure it would have to involve some kind of round robin, requiring every playoff team to play one another at least twice, home and away. Because only then would every possible match-up be tested.

Honestly, the best way to determine the "best team" is just to play out a balanced schedule in the regular season, in which each team plays every other team in the league x times, and the team with the best record wins the championship. Just as they do it in soccer, or used to do for league pennants in baseball pre-1969.

But that obviously sacrifices the money and excitement that comes with playoffs. If you wanted a playoff format along those lines, I would say a round robin with the top two teams advancing to a final championship game/series. You'd probably lose a lot of the excitement of two teams facing off with one necessarily being eliminated in each round, though.

• Like 2

I value geographic loyalty over having spent some time arbitrarily rooting for some other team. If you rooted for a team because you had no local choice, it's fair for you to switch you primary fanhood to a new, local team.

If you feel you really invested in a franchise and feel a part of that fanhood, feel free to stick with the team you already had, but that kinda thing doesn't work for me.

I'm not a big hockey guy but if Cleveland got a team (again heh) I'd swap from Columbus immediately. But I'm not really invested in any sports that don't have teams in Cleveland so it's hard to really match up the situation.

I will admit that it took me a long time to start valuing identities even if I hated the team/city. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

I value geographic loyalty over having spent some time arbitrarily rooting for some other team. If you rooted for a team because you had no local choice, it's fair for you to switch you primary fanhood to a new, local team.

If you feel you really invested in a franchise and feel a part of that fanhood, feel free to stick with the team you already had, but that kinda thing doesn't work for me.

I'm not a big hockey guy but if Cleveland got a team (again heh) I'd swap from Columbus immediately. But I'm not really invested in any sports that don't have teams in Cleveland so it's hard to really match up the situation.

I agree. If for no other reason, you're able to go to the games.  I know that if you want to, you can watch 100% of the Flyers games from Vegas, but having a team to talk about with friends and co-workers and 41 home dates in town is valuable.  There's no right or wrong.  If you are a hard-core Flyers (random team I picked for sake of discussion) in Vegas and want to stick with them, that's cool.  But it makes total sense to cheer for the new home team.

I was 15 when the Timberwolves started.  I'd considered the Celtics my favorite team (though "fan" would be a strong word) because they were good and I liked green.  I was a T-Wolves fan from day 1.  And I don't see that as a problem.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

54 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I agree. If for no other reason, you're able to go to the games.  I know that if you want to, you can watch 100% of the Flyers games from Vegas, but having a team to talk about with friends and co-workers and 41 home dates in town is valuable.  There's no right or wrong.  If you are a hard-core Flyers (random team I picked for sake of discussion) in Vegas and want to stick with them, that's cool.  But it makes total sense to cheer for the new home team.

I was 15 when the Timberwolves started.  I'd considered the Celtics my favorite team (though "fan" would be a strong word) because they were good and I liked green.  I was a T-Wolves fan from day 1.  And I don't see that as a problem.

You see this a lot with newer franchises, and Vegas is sure to experience it. People who support the home team except when their original team comes to town. With the large number of Detroit transplants Nashville had, there were enough of them that the "Predwing" coun was termed. You'd see them rocking Nashville swag, and would never have doubted they were Preds fans. Until Detroit came to town, that is.

Most of their kids are full Preds fans, it takes a generation to build a true fanbase.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

2 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

You see this a lot with newer franchises, and Vegas is sure to experience it. People who support the home team except when their original team comes to town. With the large number of Detroit transplants Nashville had, there were enough of them that the "Predwing" coun was termed. You'd see them rocking Nashville swag, and would never have doubted they were Preds fans. Until Detroit came to town, that is.

Most of their kids are full Preds fans, it takes a generation to build a true fanbase.

Interesting.  I'm trying to recall whether that was going on with either the Timberwolves or the Wild.  I was not back in the Twin Cities until 2008, so my I don't have a ton of insight on the Wild. The Wild were probably a bit different, anyway, since we were seven years removed from having the NHL...probably less likely for hard-core fanships to be built.

I don't really recall a lot of people sticking with any old teams when the Wolves started.  That first year, I went to a handful of games (including Bulls, Lakers, Celtics) and it seemed like a partisan Wolves crowd.  I mean, yeah, go to any arena and you'll see opposing Jordan, Kobe, LeBron, Bird, etc. (depending on year, of course) jerseys but my sense, and I can't prove it...it's all anecdotal, is that the Wolves were pretty much "the" team from Day 1.  Another small twist is that we had a Big Ten team in town...I come from a family of college hoops fans and this may have limited the interest in following an out-of-town NBA team.  And, of course, the access to out-of-town teams was minimal in the 1980s and perhaps this is a key variable in comparing the Wolves and the "Predwings."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

24 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Interesting.  I'm trying to recall whether that was going on with either the Timberwolves or the Wild.  I was not back in the Twin Cities until 2008, so my I don't have a ton of insight on the Wild. The Wild were probably a bit different, anyway, since we were seven years removed from having the NHL...probably less likely for hard-core fanships to be built.

I don't really recall a lot of people sticking with any old teams when the Wolves started.  That first year, I went to a handful of games (including Bulls, Lakers, Celtics) and it seemed like a partisan Wolves crowd.  I mean, yeah, go to any arena and you'll see opposing Jordan, Kobe, LeBron, Bird, etc. (depending on year, of course) jerseys but my sense, and I can't prove it...it's all anecdotal is that the Wolves were pretty much "the" team from Day 1.  Another small twist is that we had a Big Ten team in town...I come from a family of college hoops fans and this may have limited the interest in following an out-of-town NBA team.  And, of course, the access to them was minimal in the 1980s and perhaps this is a key variable in comparing the Wolves and the "Predwings."

I can't really speak to the T-Wolves, but the Wild would be the one exception. Their version was probably just a ton of North Stars stuff in the stands, for the first couple of seasons. They already had a built in hometown fanbase.

I really think that the new Avs jerseys look cheap and are a down grade. Never been an Avs fan as i am from Detroit and huge Wings fan, but id much rather see any jersey from before this one. Looks cheap, easy and the grey edging is way too thick. needs a black or navy to break it up like on the originals. 

9 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Unpopular opinion alert: sports teams aren't deserving of my "loyalty" any more than my gas station or grocery store. Just do whatever makes you feel good. Life is too short to be bound by a nebulous, one-way loyalty agreement with a business.

I feel a loyalty towards ARCO because they sponsored my soccer team in 5th grade. I don't go out of my way for one, but if I have a choice between ARCO and another gas station and the price isn't that big a difference, I'll hit the ARCO every time.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

I feel a loyalty towards ARCO because they sponsored my soccer team in 5th grade. I don't go out of my way for one, but if I have a choice between ARCO and another gas station and the price isn't that big a difference, I'll hit the ARCO every time.

I would go across the street from my own grandmother's gas station to save a penny per gallon.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I totally get this, but in the same vein I think it's weird when somebody from Philly ends up a Tigers fan and misses out on one of the fundamental parts of fandom. For better or worse, sports teams unite cities, states and even regions. When the Cubs won, it felt like the whole city won something and it came together to celebrate and bask.

I'd look less askew at somebody if they said they were from Philly but dropped the Phils because they stink, rather than somebody from Philly becoming a Tigers fan because they were good.

Jeez, I thought I was more cynical.

2 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I totally get this, but in the same vein I think it's weird when somebody from Philly ends up a Tigers fan and misses out on one of the fundamental parts of fandom. For better or worse, sports teams unite cities, states and even regions. When the Cubs won, it felt like the whole city won something and it came together to celebrate and bask.

I'd look less askew at somebody if they said they were from Philly but dropped the Phils because they stink, rather than somebody from Philly becoming a Tigers fan because they were good.

Jeez, I thought I was more cynical.

Yeah, you're getting into the cheesy, but it's true.  In 1987 and 1991, there was just a "buzz" around the Twin Cities. That has happened around some other playoff runs out of our teams as well.  When the Twins went back to the playoffs in 2002, I was living in Illinois and as glad as I was they were back in, I lost out on the camaraderie.  

POTD (Shared)

5 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I'd look less askew at somebody if they said they were from Philly but dropped the Phils because they stink

What if -- and this is completely simply for the sake of argument here -- someone dropped a bad local football team in favor of an even worse football team because it seemed funny at the time?

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫