Unpopular Opinions

49 minutes ago, the admiral said:

What if -- and this is completely simply for the sake of argument here -- someone dropped a bad local football team in favor of an even worse football team because it seemed funny at the time?

Then I'd admire their fatalism.

21 hours ago, Quillz said:

This has got me thinking about what methods would produce the truly best format for determining the champion. I figure it would have to involve some kind of round robin, requiring every playoff team to play one another at least twice, home and away. Because only then would every possible match-up be tested.

I recall reading an NBA almanac years ago, and one year, they tried a round robin.  Just checked Wikipedia and it was 1954, the first round was a double round robin.

I think something like what the Filipino basketball league does would be workable.  Granted, their seasons are split in three, each with it's own playoffs, but anyway, the top two seeds, in a best of 3, get a free win for all intents and purposes.  Meaning they only have to win one game to advance, while their opponent needs to win twice.

People would moan about there being less basketball, but the NBA be playoffs drag on seemingly forever.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I actually am a big fan of the Nationals uniforms. No idea how unpopular that might be.

Specifically, the front jersey numbers. I think the placement is good. I used to think the Reds had it right, putting the number directly opposite of the logo, but the more I look at the Nats, the more I don't feel like the numbers are too low anymore. They seem right. But I think it has to do with the Nats using a very blocky number font (which I also quite like), so it aesthetically seems to work well lower down the jersey.

I think the amout of dark blue in baseball is fine, as long as the teams play up their secondary color. The Indians, Red Sox and Astros are good because they emphasize red and orange (or at least they do at home) but teams like the Rays and Brewers, who don't, and the Padres, who don't even have a secondary color, are giving everyone else a bad name. Even all the dark blue hats are fine and mostly because an orange hat doesn't really go with anything in real life. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

I think the amout of dark blue in baseball is fine, as long as the teams play up their secondary color. The Indians, Red Sox and Astros are good because they emphasize red and orange (or at least they do at home) but teams like the Rays and Brewers, who don't, and the Padres, who don't even have a secondary color, are giving everyone else a bad name. Even all the dark blue hats are fine and mostly because an orange hat doesn't really go with anything in real life. 

I think it's OK, too.  Baseball is a sport built on tradition been around a long time for a lot of teams.  I don't expect teams that have had the colors since before 1960s expansion to change.  Specifically blue and red, which teams like Cleveland, Minnesota, Boston, etc. have had for a long time.

Actually, dark blue with other colors still adds variety in my opinions.  The Rays and Astros (and even the Brewers and Padres*) don't create a lack of variety in my opinion.  Blue and red is the only scheme really flirting with that problem, but like I said, those teams have had those colors forever.  Now, if a new team went blue and red, that would bother me...or that rumored (a few years ago) Padres change to blue and red to match the Ted Williams minor league Padres.  That would be a travesty.

*The Brewers and Padres bug me in vacuums...not so much because they detract from variety (they don't) but because the Brewers went so drab (and who would really want them to highlight that gold more?) and the Padres because they were unique and had a very "Padres" brand and chose, as the fifth most recognized team in their own state, to totally blend in.

I don't think that blue needed to be off limits for the Rays just because they are new (blue and red? that would have been another story) and their light blue trim is different and nice.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 10/4/2017 at 10:38 PM, DeFrank said:

It's time. The Redskins should drop the gold pants, just like they did in the 1970s.

image.thumb.png.2459a72e7d5ada6cc9c0ed155dc914d1.png

On 10/4/2017 at 11:52 PM, SFGiants58 said:

This look would go from a nine to a solid ten if the players all wore their socks the correct way up (matching the sleeve stripes).

How have I never noticed this before?  Now I'm going to spend every Redskins game when they wear those socks looking at the stripes.

• Like 2

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

I prefer this Panthers set as a primary rather than an alternate uniform.  In a division with so much black (Saints, Falcons, Panthers) the electric blue really breaks it up.

Carolina-Panthers-2012-2013-Blue-Alterna

I like them too. Count me in as somebody who thinks the Panthers have some of the best uniforms in the NFL. However, they should drop the redundant white pants.

eewyAEH.jpg

Silver looked good with the white jerseys the one time they did it.

• Like 5

On 10/11/2017 at 4:02 PM, BJ Sands said:

I totally get this, but in the same vein I think it's weird when somebody from Philly ends up a Tigers fan and misses out on one of the fundamental parts of fandom. For better or worse, sports teams unite cities, states and even regions. When the Cubs won, it felt like the whole city won something and it came together to celebrate and bask.

I'd look less askew at somebody if they said they were from Philly but dropped the Phils because they stink, rather than somebody from Philly becoming a Tigers fan because they were good.

Jeez, I thought I was more cynical.

I am from the Philadelphia area and I have never really felt a connection with the Eagles. I can watch their games in a objective manner, and not care one bit if they win or lose. I agree to a certain degree about your Cubs example and how that unites a city. However, if the Eagles win a Superbowl, I just won't feel any kind of excitement. So, I think that most people would feel a sense of unity, I cannot say that I would feel the same. 

26 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

I am from the Philadelphia area and I have never really felt a connection with the Eagles. I can watch their games in a objective manner, and not care one bit if they win or lose. I agree to a certain degree about your Cubs example and how that unites a city. However, if the Eagles win a Superbowl, I just won't feel any kind of excitement. So, I think that most people would feel a sense of unity, I cannot say that I would feel the same. 

The Cubs example is kind of funny though since that town has 2 baseball teams.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:03 AM, AstroBull21 said:

I prefer this Panthers set as a primary rather than an alternate uniform.  In a division with so much black (Saints, Falcons, Panthers) the electric blue really breaks it up.

Carolina-Panthers-2012-2013-Blue-Alterna

I think the Panthers might look better with dark gray instead of silver.

ff_2360338alt2_full.jpg&w=600

ff_2176802_xl.jpg&w=600

This look from the Cardinals ain't half bad the more I see it:

knxv%20adrian%20peterson%20cardinals_150

Image result for cardinals black

• Like 1

On 10/16/2017 at 12:05 PM, -Akronite- said:

The Cubs example is kind of funny though since that town has 2 baseball teams.

This made me wonder, I wonder how many fans there are of both the Cubs and White Sox and if any are truly die hard fans of both. I know being a die hard fan pretty much excludes having a 2nd die hard team but there are plenty of fans that can and do root for two teams of the same sport in different cities... such as a transplanted fan who picks up a genuine fandom in their new local team while still maintaining their fandom for their original team... so I figure there has to be "someone" who roots for both the Cubs and White Sox right? Or is that not a thing? Curious if anyone can chime in on this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This made me wonder, I wonder how many fans there are of both the Cubs and White Sox and if any are truly die hard fans of both. I know being a die hard fan pretty much excludes having a 2nd die hard team but there are plenty of fans that can and do root for two teams of the same sport in different cities... such as a transplanted fan who picks up a genuine fandom in their new local team while still maintaining their fandom for their original team... so I figure there has to be "someone" who roots for both the Cubs and White Sox right? Or is that not a thing? Curious if anyone can chime in on this.

Generally speaking, you're either a Cubs fan or a White Sox fan. There really aren't too many people who are serious fans of both teams. Lots of diehard fans may follow both teams, but they don't typically root for both. It seems most Sox fans hate the Cubs, and Cubs fans either hate the Sox or are indifferent towards them. Sox fans tend to have stronger feeling against the Cubs due to the disparity in media coverage between the two teams as well as the overall dynamic between the South Side and North Side. 

• Like 1

Take it from someone who lived in Chicago for a sizable portion of their life:

There's no such thing as a fan of the Cubs and White Sox. Much like the old Yankees/Dodgers/Giants rivalry, the teams don't just represent their city, they represent their specific neighborhoods (Cubs=North Side and White Sox=South Side) and in a city as historically segregated as Chicago there's really no middle ground to take.

• Like 3

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

3 hours ago, Stu-BallsOmnicorp said:

Generally speaking, you're either a Cubs fan or a White Sox fan. There really aren't too many people who are serious fans of both teams. Lots of diehard fans may follow both teams, but they don't typically root for both. It seems most Sox fans hate the Cubs, and Cubs fans either hate the Sox or are indifferent towards them. Sox fans tend to have stronger feeling against the Cubs due to the disparity in media coverage between the two teams as well as the overall dynamic between the South Side and North Side. 

This is the EXACT case with me when it comes to the Dodgers and Angels. I follow both teams ( and want success with both; a Dodgers/Angels WS would be a dream)...but I’m a Dodgers fan more.

38F74B74-B9D6-4012-A0B4-0005A3E9028A.jpeg

• Like 3

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

4 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

This is the EXACT case with me when it comes to the Dodgers and Angels. I follow both teams ( and want success with both; a Dodgers/Angels WS would be a dream)...but I’m a Dodgers fan more.

38F74B74-B9D6-4012-A0B4-0005A3E9028A.jpeg

And... I'm exactly the same. I've never been a truly die hard fan of any given team, I'm more of a "regional" fan, if that makes sense. I love the Dodgers, but I was happy when the Angels won in 2002, because they're my AL team. I love the Lakers, but I would be okay with the Clippers winning (LOL!). I was happy when the Ducks won the Cup, but I cared much more when the Kings won.

And yes... I don't even hate the Giants. I have this weird thing where I usually end up supporting the team that wins the division or is from the same state of my actually loved teams. I figure, if my team can't do it, at least someone else from the same division/state can.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2017 at 8:39 PM, daveindc said:

I think the Panthers might look better with dark gray instead of silver.

ff_2360338alt2_full.jpg&w=600

ff_2176802_xl.jpg&w=600

This look from the Cardinals ain't half bad the more I see it:

knxv%20adrian%20peterson%20cardinals_150

Image result for cardinals black

I love this Cardinals look even if it is BFBS. That crappy rebook template is passable here.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, VikWings said:

I love this Cardinals look even if it is BFBS. That crappy rebook template is passable here.

Yeah, I guess technically it's not even BFBS since black is a part of their scheme. Either way it's a nice, unique look. You would think white helmets with black jerseys will look odd. With white pants completing the look, and splashes of red throughout, they're really pulling it off. 

• Like 2