Unpopular Opinions

On 11/14/2017 at 6:46 AM, Bob5151 said:

This is something that a couple teams did in the late 90's/early 2000's. The Flyers' black jerseys were awesome as once-in-a-while alternates, but then eventually they replaced the orange jerseys as the playoff roads, and then the oranges were phased out entirely.

The Stars, Senators, Flames, Panthers, and Sharks all did likewise, promoting alternates to full-time road status. Not all were bad looks, but some seemed cooler as alternate looks that you saw occasionally.

Strange times. I remember all of that and I just couldn't believe the Flyers iconic orange was just...out of the rotation? People like the black jerseys but I mean who was asking for them to be the permanents? For them the orange phase out only lasted a year as by 2002-2003 they got an orange alternate. But then again with the first RBK rollout they ditched orange for good in 2007-2008 and went with a black home jersey. Finally in 08-09 when alternates were reintroduced the Flyers went with a mid 70's inspired jersey, white nameplate. It was so well received you just knew from day 1 that would be the permanent home uni soon. 

That black horse head jersey for Calgary was terrible and again, who was clamoring for that to be the permanent homes?

To me the Flames still look like a mess. They don't belong in black in any way. I don't like any of the piping. They need conventional, horizontal hem stripes. They bring back the classic look as an alternate and it is beloved. Extremely well received. People are begging for you to go back to the classic Flames look.

Do they? No

• Like 1

This isn't so unpopular on this board (I don't think?) but apparently the Stampeders' 2-colour helmet they use with their black alternate jersey is really popular amongst CFL fans, and I just don't understand it at all:
sports-football-calgary-stampeders-calga
It's bad enough that it's just a recolour of the Jaguars' awful helmet, but the front's flat and the back's shiny - its not consistent at all, and that just really irritates me.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

This isn't so unpopular on this board (I don't think?) but apparently the Stampeders' 2-colour helmet they use with their black alternate jersey is really popular amongst CFL fans, and I just don't understand it at all:
It's bad enough that it's just a recolour of the Jaguars' awful helmet, but the front's flat and the back's shiny - its not consistent at all, and that just really irritates me.

Because its freakin sick how it like, y'know changes colours dude.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

Exactly like the Jaguars helmet. All of my friends love it (and we talk uniforms a lot, and generally they have decent taste), and then I go cry in the corner and question my life choices try to argue with them.

ExJworW.png

On 11/19/2017 at 4:58 PM, mcj882000 said:

It looks like a bad high school helmet that is ripping off SMU, I agree with you

• Like 3

Excellent!

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Yea I do too, though it would have to be reversed you'd figure. Would looke kind of strange with the grizzly facing backwards on the helmet

Well, that would be the left side, and the mirror-image would be on the right.

I like the Grizzlies better without split numbers.  There, I said it.

A couple of reasons why:

1: I'm not old enough to remember the split numbers.  I've only ever seen photos.

2: It just looks a little cleaner this way.

Yes, this is coming from me, the guy who wants EVERYTHING to match.

• Like 1

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

6 hours ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

I like the Grizzlies better without split numbers.  There, I said it.

A couple of reasons why:

1: I'm not old enough to remember the split numbers.  I've only ever seen photos.

2: It just looks a little cleaner this way.

Yes, this is coming from me, the guy who wants EVERYTHING to match.

You don't remember 2010?

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 10:15 PM, Danny the Sheeb said:

That is because I am only 14 years old. :P

Pretty much anything before 2012 is a void in my brain.

This schmuck graduated high school the same year Danny was born. Thanks for reminding me again how elderly I am, Danny.

• Like 1