Unpopular Opinions

Agree or disagree with me?

Since you asked :P

I love collar wordmarks in the NFL. I'd like to see a league-wide mandate on them for every team, save for teams like the Steelers and Jets who use them in their chest logos.

Like anything else, it's a design element that works for some teams, but not others.

I love when football players wear team-colored shoes.

Disagree. I prefer white, with black working for the more traditional teams.

I liked the Padres' old sand-colored uniforms.

I liked the idea of it, but the shade they used was off.

I love the use of cream (or creme) and vintage white in baseball and hockey.

I like it for a few teams, like the San Francisco Giants. It's gotten way to widespread though. The Senators and Blue Jackets' alternates would improve tenfold if they used regular white.

I dislike stirrups.

Agreed, though for me it's a comfort thing. I tried wearing them when I played in high school, and I just didn't care for them. I prefer baggy pants.

Milwaukee Bucks' best uniforms were purple and green.

I disagree. I think the purple and green era marked the low point for the Bucks uniform-wise.

I don't like the Braves' current jerseys. I think the piping, while unique, makes the jerseys too "busy". I do agree that they should have a red-brimmed cap for all of their uniforms, too (but that's not unpopular). However, I do like the red-brimmed alternate cap, and I've seen it worn by a few people up here north of the border (the red jersey, itself, is ugly though, as is the blue one.)

I liked the Blue Jays' 2004-2011 look, at first (I was 18 and really into black when it came out) but I believed it had run its course two years ago. I obviously love the new/old identity.

So-called "softball tops" should have their designated day by all baseball teams, much like how the Cardinals and Giants have designated their alternate caps for Sundays. That said, I like the look of a lot of coloured baseball jerseys. (Also, I hate the term "softball tops". Coloured baseball jerseys have their place.)

I think the Leafs should go back to the 35-point leaf in my signature (probably not that unpopular of an opinion.)

I don't like how association football allows dark-on-dark. I prefer forced dark-on-white sports games.

CCLSCsig-1.jpg

Uniform tracker - 2011 version coming soon...

I always liked the Jay's angry bird head by itself and wished they featured it like they have the new one. To me it made for a modern, sharp representation of a Blue Jay.

I don't think that's as unpopular as you think. I really liked the Jays angry bird, too. I think the issue that most people (myself included) was the color scheme, or at least how it was used - overwhelming black. I'm kind of glad it's gone, though. As much as I liked the old one, I like the new one better. I think the angry bird would look out of place on the current, "toned down" logo.

You're probably right, but I wanted to call special attention to it as most people focus on the overwhelmingly negative parts of the old Jays identity. In the middle of all the crap, there was a nice logo in there that never got its due.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

MLB should start using colored pants again.

As much as I agreed that the Mets needed to drop all signs of black from their identity, I will always have a soft spot for it. I started following the Mets/baseball in 1998, and got really into it in 1999, right at the inception of "BFBS".

Similarly, I think the Reds identity is boring without black. They should drop the black-brimmed cap, but as an outline/shadow/accent color, it looks great.

I think steroid users should be allowed in the HOF. Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, McGwire, ARod are defining players of their generation.

I think the Twins "M" cap, with some tweaking, would make way more sense for them.

Graphite baseball caps would look so good... for any team not named the BLUE Jays.

"Get Behind Me Satan" is the best White Stripes album.

Royal blue and yellow is NOT a good color combo. I WANT to like it, but I just don't. Having lived in Buffalo for a few years, seeing everyone in vintage Sabres gear, made me hate it more. It looks so outdated and tacky.

I LOVE high-crowned, flat-brimmed caps. I'm in the majority in the real world, but by FAR in the minority on this board. I have a gigantic head (size 8), anything else looks absurd on me.

I think the Athletics NEED to switch back to "kelly green". Most people love their current set, but it baffles me that NO Major League team uses regular old green/Crayola green.

Billy Joel is the most overrated musician in the world. AND I'm from Long Island.

The Marlins original teal-heavy set looked BAD. If they had used a darker shade of teal, they'd have been classics. However, their black-heavy set looked worse. And their current set is a few tweaks away from being awesome.

The Devil Rays gradient sets were the worst. It seems like a lot of people here love them, but I can't tell how many love them ironically.

I don't watch much basketball, but the first time I saw the OKC Thunder's uniforms, I loved them. Same for the Nuggets' navy blue alts.

Same goes for hockey & the Minnesota Wild. Very sharp.

The Cubs identity is super boring. Same with the Tigers' home unis. Boring for tradition's sake is dumb.

The Simpsons > Family Guy.

I always liked the Jay's angry bird head by itself and wished they featured it like they have the new one. To me it made for a modern, sharp representation of a Blue Jay.

I don't think that's as unpopular as you think. I really liked the Jays angry bird, too. I think the issue that most people (myself included) was the color scheme, or at least how it was used - overwhelming black. I'm kind of glad it's gone, though. As much as I liked the old one, I like the new one better. I think the angry bird would look out of place on the current, "toned down" logo.

You're probably right, but I wanted to call special attention to it as most people focus on the overwhelmingly negative parts of the old Jays identity. In the middle of all the crap, there was a nice logo in there that never got its due.

The jay head was pretty nice. The chrome J he was attached to ruined it.

Billy Joel is the most overrated musician in the world. AND I'm from Long Island.

Really...in the world?? :) Billy Joel is a hell of a musician. Maybe not the BEST, but certainly not overrated. Piano Man is great, and Middle of the Night is no slouchy music. He's got talent.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I love collar wordmarks in the NFL. I'd like to see a league-wide mandate on them for every team, save for teams like the Steelers and Jets who use them in their chest logos.

Like anything else, it's a design element that works for some teams, but not others.

This statement NEEDS to be understood by...well, just about every single member of this board. I hate it when people say things like "every team must wear x shade of pants with x jerseys" or "all monochrome is bad" or gray facemasks must not be used". It is all about the team involved and how they use it. Some elements work perfectly for some teams, and not so well for others.

I love when football players wear team-colored shoes.

I liked the Padres' old sand-colored uniforms.

I love the use of cream (or creme) and vintage white in baseball and hockey.

I dislike stirrups.

Milwaukee Bucks' best uniforms were purple and green.

Agree or disagree with me?

Fairly obvious, but boldface is stuff I agree with, and strikethrough is stuff I didn't.

spacer.png

From the NHL uniform thread.

I like the Bruins' black alternate sweater. It's a nice homage to older Bruins sweaters.

Also, I'm not a fan of their gold Winter Classic sweaters. If the Bruins are going to have a gold alternate sweater I would prefer it to be a colour-swapped take on their home/road template.

The old style spoked B is terrible and I just don't care for the Bruins in brown and gold. The opportunity for the Bruins to be a brown and gold team was missed a long time ago. They've been black and gold for so long that the brown just doesn't look right.

The Bruins' alternate sweater is nice, it was just kind of underwhelming compared to how awesome their home & away jerseys are. The brown on the Winter Classic jerseys was so dark that it usually looked black, so I thought it was kinda neat that they were sort of black & gold and brown & gold at the same time so I liked that about them.

For Iowa State, I liked this set:

TEXAS-TECH-IOWA-ST-FOOTBALL.jpg

6839_crop_340x234.jpg

ALOT better than the current ones:

2011-Kelechi-Osemele-iowa-state-football.jpg

iowa_st_baylor_football_4500315.jpg

I just love that old Cy logo on the helmet, and the old uniforms were very sharp. I liked the lighter red, too. The currents just have too much of a USC vibe for me to get on board with them, and I think Cy is a much better logo than the I-STATE one by far.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

TEXAS-TECH-IOWA-ST-FOOTBALL.jpg

6839_crop_340x234.jpg

2011-Kelechi-Osemele-iowa-state-football.jpg

iowa_st_baylor_football_4500315.jpg

I just love that old Cy logo on the helmet, and the old uniforms were very sharp. I liked the lighter red, too. The currents just have too much of a USC vibe for me to get on board with them, and I think Cy is a much better logo than the I-STATE one by far.

To me the, new Iowa State uniforms look like USC knockoffs (yes, I know the shoulder striping is different on the USC uniforms and the Iowa State uniforms).

spacer.png

On 11/29/2011 at 2:03 PM, knnhrvy16 said:

That's a very popular opinion...I think I have the unpopular one. I hated Cy on the helmet and think the I State logo is better. I also love the current uniform and think they are a colored facemask away from perfection. I am aware of the USC issue, but I think it looks so good, that I can live with it...particularly the lack of white on the homes.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On the current Flyers jerseys, I don't like how the numbers are surrounded with a thick black outline while the rest of the jersey pattern is basically just white with orange patches, or vice versa on the home. It just seems like something's missing everytime I look at them. It's like if the rest of the uniform needs to be outlined in black as well.

I LOVE high-crowned, flat-brimmed caps. I'm in the majority in the real world, but by FAR in the minority on this board. I have a gigantic head (size 8), anything else looks absurd on me.

As a fellow size-8er, I can assure you that the high-crowned, flat brimmed caps look absurd on you too. You may not be ready to admit it, but ask anyone who sees you wear one for their honest opinion and you'll soon realize the truth. 5950's just weren't made for people like us.