Unpopular Opinions

11 hours ago, NicDB said:

My point about the W is that the scripts would be a lot more legible without the drop shadows.  But because of the cap logo, it needs them in order to match.  I just wonder how many tweaks you have to make before you end up with something different enough to justify scrapping the entire thing. I get the feeling that a lot of Brewers fans are sick of the current identity simply because of the perception that it keeps getting forced on us when its obvious what the fans prefer.

But I'm gonna go off on a tangent now because this is the unpopular opinions thread... I don't actually mind when baseball teams combine their city and nickname for a cap monogram.  I'll admit my biases as a BiG loyalist are at play here.  But I also logged in a lot of hours playing Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 as a tween and teen, which made me curious about Japanese baseball where this is a much more common practice.

Yomiuri Giants:
giants-2015-1.jpg

Chunichi Dragons:
classic-chunichi-dragons-59fifty-fitted-

Yakult Swallows:
YAKULTSWALLOWS-NEWERA-59FIFTY-FITTED.001

Hanshin Tigers:
10019495_2.jpg

In some cases, the "city" is actually the corporation that sponsors the team.  The Yomiuri Giants for example, play at the Tokyo Dome and wear scripts that actually say "TOKYO" on their road greys.

Who is this Yakult, and is she single?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NicDB said:

My point about the W is that the scripts would be a lot more legible without the drop shadows.  But because of the cap logo, it needs them in order to match.  I just wonder how many tweaks you have to make before you end up with something different enough to justify scrapping the entire thing. I get the feeling that a lot of Brewers fans are sick of the current identity simply because of the perception that it keeps getting forced on us when its obvious what the fans prefer.

But I'm gonna go off on a tangent now because this is the unpopular opinions thread... I don't actually mind when baseball teams combine their city and nickname for a cap monogram.  I'll admit my biases as a BiG loyalist are at play here.  But I also logged in a lot of hours playing Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 as a tween and teen, which made me curious about Japanese baseball where this is a much more common practice.

Yomiuri Giants:
giants-2015-1.jpg

Chunichi Dragons:
classic-chunichi-dragons-59fifty-fitted-

Yakult Swallows:
YAKULTSWALLOWS-NEWERA-59FIFTY-FITTED.001

Hanshin Tigers:
10019495_2.jpg

In some cases, the "city" is actually the corporation that sponsors the team.  The Yomiuri Giants for example, play at the Tokyo Dome and wear scripts that actually say "TOKYO" on their road greys.

Several of those examples are attempts to replicate a timeless American look (Giants, Dodgers, Yankees in the first 3), so while I don't agree with the practice, I at least understand what they were trying to do, so I'll give them a small pass..

Also, the issues with the W don't show any weakness with the drop shadow whatsoever.. They show weakness in poor craftsmanship, which is what caused this.. That could just as easily be a solid yellow outline, and if rendered the same way, would look equally ridiculous.. They could easily throw some Velcro there and fix the issue as well, or preferably, have the jerseys produced properly to begin with..

3 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

I'm more partial to the 97-99 caps myself.

20131107_130451.jpg

Fun fact: Triple Play '98 (1997 season) had a green alt for those Brewers. I believe they generally wore, in the game, blue the third game of every home series and green the third game of every road series. They actually did have a blue alt with that set IIRC, so I wonder if there was a green one in the makings at that time, but then it got scrapped at the last minute.

3 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

20131107_130451.jpg

I like this variant a bit more:

7c4d_1.JPG

Still, knock the royal/yellow and BiG all you want, but they are everywhere in Milwaukee. In the two years that I've lived here, I haven't gone a day without seeing the royal/yellow colors and the BiG on some piece of clothing, a house decoration, a car accessory, or some other form of display. It's almost as prevalent as the Packers' logo or the UW-Madison Badger's "Bucky Badger."

Anecdotal evidence is usually horse crap, but I do think it counts for something here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

20131107_130451.jpg

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I like this variant a bit more:

7c4d_1.JPG

Still, knock the royal/yellow and BiG all you want, but they are everywhere in Milwaukee. In the two years that I've lived here, I haven't gone a day without seeing the royal/yellow colors and the BiG on some piece of clothing, a house decoration, a car accessory, or some other form of display. It's almost as prevalent as the Packers' logo or the UW-Madison Badger's "Bucky Badger."

Anecdotal evidence is usually horse crap, but I do think it counts for something here.

I dig all of the Germanic looks. Perhaps if the BiG hadn't been immortalized by the greatest moments in franchise history, I'd be advocating for a return to those.

But SFGiants58 hit the nail on the head, and I don't think that's something people understand unless you've spent some time here. When you're more over than Bucky Badger in Wisconsin's biggest city, it's just plain foolish to not embrace it and run with it. 

4 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Several of those examples are attempts to replicate a timeless American look (Giants, Dodgers, Yankees in the first 3), so while I don't agree with the practice, I at least understand what they were trying to do, so I'll give them a small pass..

I would put the Brewers fauxbacks in that category. They may not be as historically significant as the NYC-rooted clubs, but you can put them in any era and they wouldn't look out of place.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, clonewars2008 said:

Not sure if this was said already but I think that the Colts should go back to the blue facemask and blue pants for the away uniform. 

I agree.  Of course I am both a gray facemask hater and a white-on-white hater.

I can deal with white-on-white for the Colts, since they've been that way for so long.  But when they changed to the gray facemask, it really jumped out.  That may be the single biggest facemask-based downgrade ever.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 5/29/2018 at 9:27 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

If the Brewers did better with their 2000's rebrand people wouldn't be clamoring for a return to the BiG as much. A stronger rebrand would have left the BiG in the past. 

They had a potentially timeless rebrand.

640x311_brewers_unis_wlonzd8g.jpg

But they didn't give it enough of a chance to establish itself, and now it's associated only with the worst era of Brewers baseball.  You can't blame fans for wanting to return to the BiG when their retro fauxback easily outclasses every other uniform that's currently at their disposal.  Which also happens to be their best option at this point.  Because you can only rebrand so many times before you become a team with no discernible identity... for which that "other" Milwaukee team is a perfect example.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

They had a potentially timeless rebrand.

640x311_brewers_unis_wlonzd8g.jpg

But they didn't give it enough of a chance to establish itself, and now it's associated only with the worst era of Brewers baseball.  You can't blame fans for wanting to return to the BiG when their retro fauxback easily outclasses every other uniform that's currently at their disposal.  Which also happens to be their best option at this point.  Because you can only rebrand so many times before you become a team with no discernible identity... for which that "other" Milwaukee team is a perfect example.

We're basically agreeing right? I blamed the 2000s rebrand for being weak and you're saying the mid 90s look didn't establish itself enough so yea the bottom line is the Brewers haven't had a strong enough or long enough identity after the BiG to make people forget about the BiG. Maintaining the mid 90s identity into today would have definitely helped the matter. 

Potentially not unpopular but I prefer baseball fights/benches clearing to be done exclusively wearing alternate uniforms. The clear color definition of "red team vs blue team" or "blue vs black" "red vs navy" etc etc just looks visually appealing to me when there's 50 guys out there on the field lol. 

Related imageImage result for cubs pirates

• Like 6

On 5/29/2018 at 10:58 PM, clonewars2008 said:

Not sure if this was said already but I think that the Colts should go back to the blue facemask and blue pants for the away uniform. 
colts_bluepants1995.jpg

It's not an awful look, but I'd have to guess that, in today's NFL, the Colts would wear solid blue socks with those pants. And that would diminish the look.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Potentially not unpopular but I prefer baseball fights/benches clearing to be done exclusively wearing alternate uniforms. The clear color definition of "red team vs blue team" or "blue vs black" "red vs navy" etc etc just looks visually appealing to me when there's 50 guys out there on the field lol. 

Seems to have more of a boxing feel to it. Blue trunks vs red trunks.

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I gotta agree here. This picture doesn’t have the same beauty if it’s white vs grey:

DlSbVVT.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

But you gotta have the guys off the bench wearing jerseys and not warmup jackets. Cause that Tor/Tex brawl has Rangers with red caps and blue jackets muddling the fight.

• Like 3