Unpopular Opinions

On 11/2/2018 at 9:04 AM, agentrygraphics said:

The NBA's introduction of, and subsequent allowance of otherwise "off-brand" jerseys for their respective teams - diverting away from just "home" and "away" denotations and the color schemes thereof - is a slippery slope of cash-grabbing brand dilution that is not unlike the jersey stunts we have seen in Minor League baseball.

...Change my mind. 

This is an unpopular opinion?

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 11:54 PM, cwilz305 said:

As we enter into year two of Nike/NBA, I actually have an appreciation for the Adidas Sleeved Jerseys. Sure, a lot of the designs for the jerseys were atrocious and/or needed tweaking but the more I see the ads on jerseys now, the more I begin to realize the Nike Swoosh and the ads don't belong on the jerseys since it ruins the balance of the design elements of the jerseys.

59bbf0119803c51d008b64a0-960-687.jpg

I Like both.

DjciJMOUYAARv_F.jpg

Get rid of the swoosh and the ad and you have a great uniform.

Again though, this is just an opinion.

The ads and the swoosh make the jerseys look like, when you go a game and a get a free giveaway replica jersey to the first 500 fans or something and since it's free it's sponsored by the local bank or something and their logo is plastered all over the jersey. The same can be said for pretty much any free giveaway ever. And since you know it was a giveaway you're ok with the sponsorship on it but once you see it on the court in a real NBA game it becomes super annoying. Ugh...

• Like 5

On 11/1/2018 at 12:44 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I wish the Ottawa Senators would change their name to the Centurions. The Roman theme has the potential to be far more distinctive than any barberpole or “O” variant used by either the original or modern team. Just go all-in on it.

The name Ottawa Senators should occupy the same historical dustbin as the New York Americans, Philadelphia Quakers, and Quebec Bulldogs. Sure, they won a bunch of Stanley Cups, but they didn’t have the power to outlast the Great Depression like the six surviving pre-1967 teams. Let the name fade into the past, while keeping their color scheme and minor allusions to that history.

I still prefer the Senators name since Ottawa is the capital but it is definitely weirdly used in their scheme. They have a helmeted Roman officer on their primary crest but being an officer in the Roman Army didn't mean you were a Senator. To be a Senator was to be a member of a specific sub set of the Roman Aristocracy which gave the holder the right to a seat in the Senate House to debate legislation and select the magistrates. Senators were selected for top military and government positions like Consul and Praetor but being a Senator didn't make someone a soldier. A Centurion, however, was always a soldier, the officer in charge of a Century of roughly 80 legionaries. So a guy in a helmet was more likely to be a Centurion than a Senator.

What I would really like would be for the Senators to come up with a logo similar to this one from the Twins:

minnesota_twins_2015-pres_a.png

Ottawa is also a city divided by a River, but its further divided between Ontario and Quebec so it would be really cool to have that emphasized. Perhaps by using two guys in red-lined togas on hockey skates shaking hands. 

• Like 2

On 11/4/2018 at 8:47 PM, Ark said:

The Rangers uniforms (the away uniforms at least) should say NEW YORK instead of RANGERS

It would be way better for branding, and it would look better too. 

I had to read that twice until I realized you were talking about the hockey team.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Quillz said:

I actually strongly dislike the standard MLB block font. (Used by the Dodgers, Cardinals, Royals, Indians, etc.)

The numbers you mean?  I posted a graphic of the #0 of every team, and yea it really stands out the number of teams with the same number font.  I never realized.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

8 hours ago, Quillz said:

I actually strongly dislike the standard MLB block font. (Used by the Dodgers, Cardinals, Royals, Indians, etc.)

To me, it's the perfect baseball font, and if it were a teeny bit bolder, it would be a near-perfect font for most anything.. 

I wore #15 in high school, and I LOVED the way the 1 and the 5 looked in this font.. Probably has something to do with why the Texans' font is my favorite athletic number font..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

To me, it's the perfect baseball font, and if it were a teeny bit bolder, it would be a near-perfect font for most anything.. 

I wore #15 in high school, and I LOVED the way the 1 and the 5 looked in this font.. Probably has something to do with why the Texans' font is my favorite athletic number font..

That's my problem with it, I find it too thin. The Royals either use a little-seen thicker variant, or they just have a color matching outline. Either way, I feel the numbers almost require some kind of outline to look good. The other common variant, seen on the Yankees, Braves, Tigers, Padres, etc, is a bit thicker to begin with and looks better, I think.

40 minutes ago, Quillz said:

That's my problem with it, I find it too thin. The Royals either use a little-seen thicker variant, or they just have a color matching outline. Either way, I feel the numbers almost require some kind of outline to look good. The other common variant, seen on the Yankees, Braves, Tigers, Padres, etc, is a bit thicker to begin with and looks better, I think.

The other teams you mentioned use a standard block (More football-y and serified), but with teams like the Royal, Shi who seem to have the thicker variant, I believe they use the background/outline layer (or the version intended for use with kiss-cut outlines).. The inner angles make it a bit too busy/rounded for football (along with the thinness), but I still love the font (15 especially)..

I’m a big fan of MLB block standard (regular and the serif version the Twins and retro Brewers use), while also liking Wilson varsity (what the Tigers, Braves, Yankees, and Padres use) to an extent. The only block font I really have a problem with in the majors is the Nationals, as thin logos/scripts don’t mesh well with thick slab-serif numbers. Block Standard or Wilson Varsity would improve the look.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 11:15 AM, Ray Lankford said:

I'd like to see them bring back sleeved jerseys for players who wear shirts under their jerseys. This is awful:

Anthony-Davis-has-been-heavily-involved-

Agreed for sleeved jerseys! If it ever happens again and players don't like it, then at least have shirts under the jersey that match the colors of the uniform in use (or franchise colors).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Four teams with red and black in the NBA is one too many.

Unless we're splitting hairs about Atlanta's "anthracite", I think it's five. Bulls and Blazers are fine. Wish Heat would brighten the red and/or bring back orange as tertiary, but they're decent...I won't complain if they go Miami Vice full-time one day though. Hawks need to either play up the volt green a lot more or drop it and bring back yellow, with black as tertiary. Raptors desperately need to bring purple back. Right now they're so boring and generic.

One could almost count Houston as a sixth in this category these days, given their heavy use of the black alt and lack of emphasis on silver and yellow. And, really, the Cavs aren't far from this either. They wear red a bunch and black a bunch, and yellow is basically trim-only by this point, with navy barely there at all. 

The NBA needs to diversify its designs and color schemes and, conversely, encourage its teams to keep alt designs within their own colorways - Jazz, Nuggets and Heat have unveiled good ones that go outside their usual themes, but Utah and Miami were geography-related and Denver was a fauxback, so...I mean, other than these, I'd just say dial way back on black and grey for new unis.

• 2 weeks later...

I am guessing this is unpopular...

I don't like the throwback Saints jersey worn yesterday.  The "gold" is too close to copper.  I prefer the current primary.

(or is this the primary, now?)

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I don't like the throwback Saints jersey worn yesterday.  The "gold" is too close to copper.  I prefer the current primary.

I will say that the uni falls a bit flat with the saturated jersey colors vs. the almost tan helmet shell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

I like the copper/brassy look better than the tan. Wish the whole regular uniform used the darker gold.

• Like 6

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.