Unpopular Opinions

I don't like when people refer to oval helmet logos as rugby balls.. even if a particular team formerly used a football shape, their current is just an oval.. OFOS.. ovals can and do make good helmet logos, and that's a justifiable enough reason to use them.. I highly doubt anyone ever said "hey, I know our football shaped logo looks good, but it would make so much more sense if wet instead used a rugby ball shape"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

NorthStars08.png

Truer words have never been spoken.

This still hasn’t been updated by NHLuniforms, but the last season of those, the white jerseys had added green sleeve cuffs. 

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I commented here a while ago, but I'm back for some more hot takes:

MLB:

The Florida Marlins are overrated. Teal/Gray/Black doesn't work for me. Plus, the teal is literally impossible to read on the gray without a black outline (as demonstrated perfectly on the primary logo). Not a huge fan of either the Marlins or Florida script, and I will never liked vest jerseys. I honestly think this new rebrand is the best the Marlins have ever looked. The biggest thing I would change is making the cap logo the primary, but other than that, it beats the Florida era by a mile.

Orioles cartoon bird >>> realistic bird

The Angels should go back to using Anaheim, and specifically the 2002-04 logo. It looks real nice.

The Devil Rays don't actually look good. They have a good start (and Devil Rays beats "Rays of Light" any day), but the gradient isn't great (maybe if it was just purple to blue/green, no yellow) and dark green + dark blue looks ugly.

NHL:

Ducks > Mighty Ducks. I think the Ducks look great, and black and orange works wonderfully together.

The cartoon throwback logos look awful, no matter what team they're used by. This goes for Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and the Islanders. 

To add onto the point above, Robo-Penguin > stupid cartoon skate-y bird.

The name "Wild" isn't bad, but it's not great. 

MLS:

DC United needs a new logo. Already. They've whiffed so many times. This is the best they've ever looked, but it still needs improving.

The Union adding a gradient is stupid and they made their logo significantly worse.

The Revolution logo is fine. 

Real Salt Lake is the dumbest name in sports. Ever. 

Sporting Kansas City is the second dumbest name in sports.

NFL:

The Cowboys' use of like four blues is really dumb and needs to stop. Tradition means nothing if that tradition is stupid.

The biggest problem with the Bucs' current set the font. If the font gets fixed, they'd look fine.

The Saints' all-black combo is really bad. Black over gold looks amazing, and they should dump the all-black forever.

If the Panthers drop silver, they will have the best look in the NFL. Every combo not using silver looks beautiful, especially the blue over black look they debuted this year.

NBA:

The Timberwolves have the best logo in the NBA, with the Hornets at a close second.

I really like a bunch of the City and Statement jerseys so far. Specifically the Heat City (and Earned) jerseys, the Utah City jersey, both Chicago City jerseys, the Charlotte Statement jersey (I have one!), and both Sacramento City jerseys.

If it weren't for the Thunder, the Mavs would have the worst logo in the NBA.

The Brooklyn Nets look great and black/white is a really underrated color scheme.

• Like 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

17 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I commented here a while ago, but I'm back for some more hot takes:

MLB:

Orioles cartoon bird >>> realistic bird

NFL:

The Saints' all-black combo is really bad. Black over gold looks amazing, and they should dump the all-black forever.

If the Panthers drop silver, they will have the best look in the NFL. Every combo not using silver looks beautiful, especially the blue over black look they debuted this year.

Sadly these are all pretty popular especially on this site. I disagree with all of what I quoted

• Like 1

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

2 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Real Salt Lake is the dumbest name in sports. Ever. 

Sporting Kansas City is the second dumbest name in sports.

So what if I told you most MLS nicknames are knockoffs of European Teams?

Then again Real with would work better in a city named in Spanish.

• Like 4

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

Not sure how popular this opinion is but the Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2012-15 away uniform was one of the best in the CFL as it being gold and not white added some character and colour to CFL games. Case in point the labour day game in 2007:
500_F_150716974_7itywxGcv3YgncWCkEJ1sd6R

vs the game in 2014:
nic-grigsby-of-the-winnipeg-blue-bombers

I think the 2014 one is the best even though right now the 2016-present looks good with the royal blue now being prominent:
 FBO_CFL_BLUE_BOMBERS_ROUGHRIDERS_2016090

The gold based is just next level and looks good vs all teams as it's not just a generic white jersey but one with character. 

• Like 1

zyyMk1d.png

On 2/17/2019 at 11:40 PM, Davidellias said:

So what if I told you most MLS nicknames are knockoffs of European Teams?

Then again Real with would work better in a city named in Spanish.

That's exactly what they are, and while I don't mind "United" or "FC" as long as it's not overdone, Real only makes sense in Spanish (I think) and Sporting is just stupid.

• Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 2/16/2019 at 5:24 PM, Prince Harry said:

The North Stars had a three year window where they looked decent from 1975-78, and every year outside of that their uniforms were poor or actively ugly. 

I'll grant you, most of the North Stars uniforms were basic enough to look like they came from a sports equipment catalog.  That's something you can generally get away with when you have awesome and unique colors, but the black really muddied up the look.

Ironically, I became a North Stars fan when they wore black. I started following hockey the last year they played for the Stanley Cup and I thought "North Stars" was the coolest name I'd ever heard of for a team.  Their colors were still pretty close to the Packers too, which was definitely a plus.

I'll even say (in hindsight) that pretty much all of the North Stars uniforms could have been executed better.  But I don't think anything they ever wore crossed the line into questionable taste like, say... Cooperalls, Vancouver's "Flying V," and most 90s alternates.

• Like 2

On 2/20/2019 at 4:30 PM, clonewars2008 said:

Not sure how popular this opinion is but the Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2012-15 away uniform was one of the best in the CFL as it being gold and not white added some character and colour to CFL games. Case in point the labour day game in 2007:
500_F_150716974_7itywxGcv3YgncWCkEJ1sd6R

vs the game in 2014:
nic-grigsby-of-the-winnipeg-blue-bombers

I think the 2014 one is the best even though right now the 2016-present looks good with the royal blue now being prominent:
 FBO_CFL_BLUE_BOMBERS_ROUGHRIDERS_2016090

The gold based is just next level and looks good vs all teams as it's not just a generic white jersey but one with character. 

I agree with you,  the Bombers have looked real good for a while (away). Royal blue is much better than the navy, though. Love the current home ones.

I think Hamilton is another team that could pull off going back to gold for away jerseys.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

I really don't mind this uniform. I actually think the Chargers look better in monochrome with their current uniforms. 

spacer.png

The chargers have one of the most complete looks in the nfl, I agree.

Excellent!

4 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

I really don't mind this uniform. I actually think the Chargers look better in monochrome with their current uniforms. 

spacer.png

I like the Color Rush version myself. It's just bright enough, and the navy is a little too dark. I'd be totally cool with them going to that royal shade full-time except I feel like it wouldn't provide enough contrast with the powder blue, and I don't want them dropping the powder blue.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...