Unpopular Opinions

53 minutes ago, MC Buffalo said:

I'm not sure what they are officially called (compression pants maybe), but those blue yoga pants these three are wearing under their uniform which seems to be all the rage right now look awful. It doesn't matter if they are white, which you see mostly or a color they just stick out so much that it hurts the aesthetic of any uniform.

Don't get me wrong, I would imagine there is a good reason so many players have gone to wearing them, maybe they give the knee some additional stability or something, so I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to wear them. Just saying they are ugly.

It doesn’t do squat, they think they look cool. And they don’t.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

As somebody with family from the area, this is correct. Loo-vul is also sort of correct, depending on who is saying it.

I go between New Or-leans and New Or-lee-ans, depending on the setting. For St. Louis or Looey, I tend to favor the former.

If you’re not calling it loo-vul or loo-a-vul, your pissing me off tbh

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

4 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I proudly say Loo-is-vil-ee... 😉

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I am usually a huge fan of teams wearing orange and blue (navy or royal) as their colors (Yes, call me crazy).  But I love Virginia's basketball uniforms.  Their numeric and NOB lettering font is unique and one of a kind.  It also helps that they now won the national championship wearing them.  I wish they would use the same numeric/lettering on other sports like most schools do. Still they look fantastic and have done so since 2009 (with a small minor tweaks here and there).

Image result for 2019 virginia syracuseImage result for 2019 virginia syracuse basketball tony bennett

• Like 1

The thing that bugs me most about the Virginia uniforms is the stripe at the top of the jersey. It makes it look like Nike is repurposing a bad adidas template, (this one in particular)spacer.png

• Like 1

Excellent!

On 5/22/2019 at 4:12 PM, BellaSpurs said:

I get this a lot too. I say where I'm from and people assume it's in Kansas. No, the important one with the barbecue, Chiefs, Royals and population is in Missouri.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

I get this a lot too. I say where I'm from and people assume it's in Kansas. No, the important one with the barbecue, Chiefs, Royals and population is in Missouri.

Back in the PS2 era, 989 Sports put out the World Tour Soccer series, in which MLS' teams were always among the unlicensed.  Given the European production team, I figured the mistake was a bit more excusable...but the then-Wizards were always listed as Kansas.  Not Kansas City, just Kansas (I can only presume they thought it was like Manchester City).

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

9 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Ladies and gentlemen, the WORST logo from the Copa de la Diversion series, and it's not even close:

rawImage.jpg

I mean, none of them are really that great, just too brandiose-y for me. But yeah I agree with you, I hate how the flip flop looks furry.

• Like 2

Excellent!

9 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Ladies and gentlemen, the WORST logo from the Copa de la Diversion series, and it's not even close:

rawImage.jpg

Yes, this is a very unpopular opinion with me.  I love this.  Many of the Copa ideas are better than their parent teams imo.  At least the Copa ideas are using out of the box color combinations.

• Like 4

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

5 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Yes, this is a very unpopular opinion with me.  I love this.  Many of the Copa ideas are better than their parent teams imo.  At least the Copa ideas are using out of the box color combinations.

Can we get a thumbs down button?

• Like 3

Excellent!

On 5/20/2019 at 10:31 PM, WBeltz said:

The San Diego Padres need an alternate that says "Dads" or "Fathers" on it, since you know Padre is Spanish for Father/Dad

I think Friars would be a more accurate (if not technically literal) translation.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Can we get a thumbs down button?

Why? It's a valid opinion, he even admitted it was unpopular. Personally I don't mind outrageous theme identities for a stretch of games. It's the minor leagues afterall. It's when companies like brandiose completely usurp a team's identity that it becomes a problem.

• Like 3

On 5/21/2019 at 9:50 PM, Chawls said:

Just don’t be that out-of-towner who says “N’awlins” because you’re trying to be all cutesy and

<MOD EDIT> with the pronunciation and inaccurate accent. I loathe that deeply. It’s New Orleans, though “New Awlins” is acceptable. 

I apologize for my transgression, @officeglenn. It won’t happen again. And thanks for being polite about it. 

• Like 1

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

On 5/22/2019 at 7:35 AM, fbjim said:

I deeply dislike the euro-jacking of current MLS teams which inappropriately appropriate European club names (FC/SC is fine, City is fine,it only slightly bothers me that DC United wasn't formed as a club merger because "United" is a fairly "DC" name, but Real, Sporting and (jesus) Inter are awful), which is why I hope this logo never changes.

UUFtgZX.png

This is a prime reason why I can't take the MLS seriously because of the FC, Sporting, Real etc names.  Timbers, Sounders and Whitcaps are the only organic sounding names in the league. 

• Like 9

On 5/22/2019 at 2:00 PM, MC Buffalo said:

But how do you pronounce Center Martin "St.Louis". I'm guessing we all agree it's Looey and not Loo-is

He is Looey, because of his french-canadian heritage.  The US city St. Louis is Loo-is.

1 hour ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

This is a prime reason why I can't take the MLS seriously because of the FC, Sporting, Real etc names.  Timbers, Sounders and Whitcaps are the only organic sounding names in the league. 

Amen to that! Those names are cringy and give me second hand embarrassment.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

5 hours ago, daniel75 said:

Amen to that! Those names are cringy and give me second hand embarrassment.

Yeah, no. They're not cringe-worthy or inappropriate. They're dignified, effective, and fit with what the rest of the world does with Association Football. Sporting Kansas City, the FC/SC teams, and Inter Miami are all acceptable and work well for their teams. Even the "United" names are fine (uniting of ownership groups/fans/other associated individuals).

Also, "organic-sounding" is just elitist gobbledy(I am racially insensitive) used by American-style name fans used to demean teams that follow the rest of the world's lead. It's also a fun statement used by "Class of '96" fans to insult supporters of newer teams (that have their crap together from founding).  

EDIT: I am sorry about that one, I had no idea that it was a racist term. What I meant to say was "nonsense."

Edited by SFGiants58
Whoops
  • Like 3