raysox

Unpopular Opinions

Recommended Posts

On 6/6/2019 at 7:04 AM, jmac11281 said:

 

I like the Phillies look but I'd be lying if I said I like the font that they use. It is too bubbly and looks incredibly dated to me. I am also not a fan of the road look. That looks dated as well.

No idea whether this is unpopular but I hate the numbers on the sleeve.  I remember when the uniform came out and hating that element of it.  It's also among the most surprising uniform elements to have stuck around for so long.  I'd have expected the sleeve numbers to go away after a few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I don't like it's placement on the jersey, I do like the NFL 100 logo on its own. I don't love the 3-D effect of it, but all of the NFL's anniversary logos have design styles and elements that are from the time they were made (50th in the 1960's simplicity, 75th in the 1990's purple and teal). That's the route these logos have been going and I think this one is the best yet.

 

FWIW, the flat version of NFL 100 logo is superior IMO. I think it would be easier to use in all applications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 8:04 AM, jmac11281 said:

 

I like the Phillies look but I'd be lying if I said I like the font that they use. It is too bubbly and looks incredibly dated to me. I am also not a fan of the road look. That looks dated as well.

 

They made the striping of the cuffs and pants thinner this year on the road, it looks less dated now.

Phillies-Rockies-Baseball-copy.jpg?w=620

 

Though, I won't lie that 2's overhang is hideous, I think they could just modify the number font, keep some of the same feel to it,but improve it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EddieJ1984 said:

 

They made the striping of the cuffs and pants thinner this year on the road, it looks less dated now.

Phillies-Rockies-Baseball-copy.jpg?w=620

 

Though, I won't lie that 2's overhang is hideous, I think they could just modify the number font, keep some of the same feel to it,but improve it.

I actually prefer the thicker trim, but I preferred the thinner wordmark from a few years ago, and I agree that the number font just needs some tweaks (specifically those overhangs) to be a really solid look

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest gripe is the sleeve numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m hoping for Nike to bring back a resurgence in pullover jerseys for MLB. It’d be nice to see most, if not all, teams to have at least one pullover and maybe have a guinea pig team with all pullover jerseys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2019 at 6:29 PM, EddieJ1984 said:

 

They made the striping of the cuffs and pants thinner this year on the road, it looks less dated now.

Phillies-Rockies-Baseball-copy.jpg?w=620

 

Though, I won't lie that 2's overhang is hideous, I think they could just modify the number font, keep some of the same feel to it,but improve it.

For me, the only way I can see it being improved is to dump it in the garbage entirely. I always felt like it was trying to reinvent the wheel. The Phillies would look just fine with a standard MLB block (the thicker one used by the Yanks, Braves, etc. would be good).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's one: I think the LA Clippers' 1990s jerseys were fine. Same for their logo. Yeah, the logo was pretty obviously based on the iconic logo of their better-known Southern California brethren. It still looked pretty good. Yeah, the color scheme was generic. Same for the jersey design. But I still thought they looked pretty good.

 

Were the uni changes in the early aughts an upgrade? Yes, of course. I'd still take the '90s set over that horrid black alt, and the '90s logo over the horrid current logo, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of the Lakers, their primary logo really could use an update. The Vikings did a good job of simplifying their logo while also making the line weight thicker. The primary could use something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lakers never looked better than in their Kobe era uniforms, especially the gold uniforms. White numbers>purple numbers (and white numbers are definitely better than anything the Lakers tried on their current purples). The Nike wishbone collar could be improved upon, and that’s essentially the only nitpick I have with that set

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish the Flyers would do a Cooperalls throwback by wearing black socks with their orange jersey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tigers should be a team that is NNOB. Don't change anything else about their home uniform except get rid of the names. They also don't need white outlines on their road jerseys since they are already outlined in orange. (Or make orange the outer outline and white the inner outline).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Quillz said:

The Tigers should be a team that is NNOB. Don't change anything else about their home uniform except get rid of the names. They also don't need white outlines on their road jerseys since they are already outlined in orange. (Or make orange the outer outline and white the inner outline).

Bringing back the old D would also be nice. Them unifying everything ended up being a downgrade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind the monogram changes they made. Nor the monogram being larger on the cap. But the Tigers actually have some of the best uniforms in the league but the NOB really muddies the look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It annoys me that the Penguins have never properly digitized/switched over to the crest versions of the Skating Penguin.

 

img-4501-2_orig.jpg img-6781-b_orig.jpg

 

vs.

 

36ai6de8ef0svi6hiugcgpwjl.png6362_pittsburgh_penguins-primary-2017.png

 

While the modern one is closer to its print equivalent, the crest design still has better line weights and details on the eye. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While the current color set and uniforms are a great modernization and embodiment of the Seattle Seahawks, there was something truly special about the 2000s blue-grey shade known as "Seahawk Blue." Who agrees?

nfl_g_lynch_b3_1296x729.jpg&w=1140&cqual

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

While the current color set and uniforms are a great modernization and embodiment of the Seattle Seahawks, there was something truly special about the 2000s blue-grey shade known as "Seahawk Blue." Who agrees?

nfl_g_lynch_b3_1296x729.jpg&w=1140&cqual

 

Not gonna lie, I actually really liked that color scheme. I will admit that it looked better in sunlight though, which makes me think it would’ve been better had Seahawk Blue been a little lighter. Something closer to the ballpark of the KG Timberwolves blue. Also would’ve helped if they didn’t wear mono-blue, I felt the white pants was a better balance.

 

Otherwise though, I loved the idea of the color scheme. It looked very PNW to me, and I felt the lime green was an excellent accent color to it and navy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "College Hockey" Dallas Stars look is one of my favorite NHL sets ever. 

 

hZg05nx.png

 

I don't want it to be a trend, but I wish one team in hockey tried to make the NCAA look a thing again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

 

Not gonna lie, I actually really liked that color scheme. I will admit that it looked better in sunlight though, which makes me think it would’ve been better had Seahawk Blue been a little lighter. Something closer to the ballpark of the KG Timberwolves blue. Also would’ve helped if they didn’t wear mono-blue, I felt the white pants was a better balance.

 

Otherwise though, I loved the idea of the color scheme. It looked very PNW to me, and I felt the lime green was an excellent accent color to it and navy. 

I liked that Seahawks color scheme, too.  I am sure this is unpopular, but I think it's the best helmet they've ever had and the dark jersey was the best jersey they ever had.  For some reason, though, they never really made it work with the pants.  The monochrome was bad.  The white/white was bad.  Mixing and matching did not work out all that much better.  That said, I wish they still had it.  The color scheme was great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two involving the color red from me:

 

Red letters/numbers on grey uniforms are almost universally terrible. 

 

The Blackhawks away uniform is the most overrated in sports. Red numbers would change that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.