Unpopular Opinions

But they were one of the best brands: great color scheme, a name that feels locally appropriate, and a logo that passes the doodle test with flying colors. They were in so many ways the football Whalers: a second-rate team in a cradle of its sport, with great aesthetics, a quirky theme song, years of .500 records, an absolute dump of a venue, and both were doomed in 1996.

One thing I would have done to spruce up the Houston Oilers going forward was to tweak the numbers. The Oilers had those cool Futura numbers early on that they got away from, and had that deeply drop-shadowed wordmark that felt big and bold and therefore Texan, but also far more modern than the very Western-styled Cowboys wordmark (or the Edmonton Oilers, for that matter). 

585.gif

So then obviously, sans-serif numbers of one form or another, whether that's something vaguely Helvetican to match the wordmark or something in the Futura family like they had in the '60s. I'd keep everything else and mix and match the road uniforms week by week to best complement the home team: if they have white pants, wear the blue pants with white socks, if they don't, wear the white pants with blue socks, and then maybe once a year go head-to-toe white just for fun.

The Titans were cool in the 1999-2001 End Of History but got stale fast, and the Texans tweaked themselves out of an outstanding set with pants that matched socks, monochrome blue sets, and "Battle Red" anything. I think the Oilers were much more built to last than either.

• Like 9

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I get where you’re coming from, but I vehemently disagree. The Titans’ first set looked great in the powder/white and white/powder combos, while the Texans look good in every setting (yeah, red socks on the road would be better). The flaming thumbtack and the flag bull will always look better to me.

The Oilers will never not be an awful identity, AFAIA. Yes, they passed the doodle test with clip art logo. That doesn’t mean it was good. Those floating stripes will always be hideous. The light blue was nice and all, but it needed a dark accent color. The Texans shouldn’t be forced to become the Oilers and I’m glad the Titans switched to navy helmets (the one part of the redesign I liked) to prevent them from trotting our their old designs.

Let the Oilers die. 

• Like 1

True, but they haven't worn the all-red in years. I completely forgot they did that! The Texans (well, Toros could also be the name) have a much greater identity potential than the Oilers. Their logo also passes the doodle test, but without looking like clip art. Had the Titans not switched up their uniforms, I'd give them the same defense (minus the doodle test). 

At the end of the day, Oilers nostalgia is going to fade in Houston (and I'm sure it has already in Tennessee). Some of us uniform nerds will try to keep that Luv' Ya Blue flame alive, but not me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I get where you’re coming from, but I vehemently disagree. The Titans’ first set looked great in the powder/white and white/powder combos, while the Texans look good in every setting (yeah, red socks on the road would be better). The flaming thumbtack and the flag bull will always look better to me.

The Oilers will never not be an awful identity, AFAIA. Yes, they passed the doodle test with clip art logo. That doesn’t mean it was good. Those floating stripes will always be hideous. The light blue was nice and all, but it needed a dark accent color. The Texans shouldn’t be forced to become the Oilers and I’m glad the Titans switched to navy helmets (the one part of the redesign I liked) to prevent them from trotting our their old designs.

Let the Oilers die. 

It took  almost twenty years for the Titans to start wearing powder/white, and they ditched it within a couple of years to go back to primarily navy and then switched to the current atrocities. I have trouble calling that  combo “the first set” when it wasn’t worn at all until the mid 2010s. Just the switching back and forth between navy and powder shows to me that their brand isn’t all that strong and the Titans are the first to not quite know what they want to be, assuming the answer isn’t wearing swords on shoulders. 

07Giants.pngnyy.png

9 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

It took  almost twenty years for the Titans to start wearing powder/white, and they ditched it within a couple of years to go back to primarily navy and then switched to the current atrocities. I have trouble calling that  combo “the first set” when it wasn’t worn at all until the mid 2010s

It's still the "first template" and the same white jersey, so I'd say it counts.

9 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

Just the switching back and forth between navy and powder shows to me that their brand isn’t all that strong and the Titans are the first to not quite know what they want to be, assuming the answer isn’t wearing swords on shoulders. 

On the contrary, it demonstrates that they had a versatile color scheme and could use multiple good combinations (powder/white, white/powder, navy/white, white/white, and maybe navy/powder). They knew what they wanted to be, then lost the plot when they thought a redesign would reinvigorate the club.

Either way, I like it more than the garbage that was the Oilers. Texans and Titans forever, Oilers never.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 2:42 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I don’t mind that the Oilers moved, as it killed one of the NFL’s worst brands and created two brands that were fantastic (old Titans in some combos and nearly all of the Texans’ designs). Let the Oilers stay dead.

This is why I also wish the Cleveland Indians became the Seattle Indians in the ‘60s, where they would have likely had to dump the moniker in the ‘90s. With an expansion team in Cleveland unable to use the name, MLB’s worst identity would be gone! 

Hopefully the Chargers' branding can be retired too.

Ditto for the Redskins.

Do you think climate change would render the Oilers name politically incorrect nowadays?

The Texans are one of my favorite NFL designs and I think they'd have the best "modern" NFL look if they wore a white helmet, had the red jersey as their home primary, and only wore white pants on the road. Even as they stand, I like them. 

Aside from the road socks, they've pretty much stuck to their guns. I like that more than the trend-chasing of other clubs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

The Texans have always looked incredibly dull, like a generic team from a movie. Even the much-beloved road uniforms with red socks still look forgettable.

I completely disagree, they have custom numbers, and a uniform template that is classy and similar to USC’s.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

The Texans have always looked incredibly dull, like a generic team from a movie. Even the much-beloved road uniforms with red socks still look forgettable.

The name is generic, being like the 5th "Texans" in the states pro football history. The colors are generic as it gets in the states, red and navy. The uniforms don't have any unique elements other than a number font. And I'm not a fan of a mostly navy logo on a navy helmet (the white was the way to go for me).

That being said, no need to change. It's modern, simple, and inoffensive. Just isn't going anywhere high in my uniform rankings.

On 9/20/2019 at 12:26 PM, -Akronite- said:

The name is generic, being like the 5th "Texans" in the states pro football history. The colors are generic as it gets in the states, red and navy. The uniforms don't have any unique elements other than a number font. And I'm not a fan of a mostly navy logo on a navy helmet (the white was the way to go for me).

That being said, no need to change. It's modern, simple, and inoffensive. Just isn't going anywhere high in my uniform rankings.

They have a great logo though.

• Like 1

The Dolphins orange CR uniform may not “exist” anymore, but the only salvageable part of it should’ve been the orange pants. With the slight modification of dropping the dark blue in the stripe as with what Miami did with the rest of the uniforms, it gives them a good alternate pants option:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6