Unpopular Opinions

• 2 weeks later...

The ranger badge in the serif of the R is one of those well-meaning but worthless touches, like the old NY scribbled into the Mets logo.

It's a good logo. A rare example of major-league whimsy. I'll take a baseball wearing a cowboy hat over the Not Expos logo they've been content with for like 17 years now.

• Like 7

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I had no idea that Star was in the R until just now.

• Like 3

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

41 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I've always thought that Detroit Pistons’ primary mark was supposed to look like a stylized top of a piston head, not a basketball.

primary_new.png710x528_2210867_466772_1459328076.jpg

I don’t think that’s the case when most piston heads don’t look like that. And that barely looks similar to the logo makes me think that isn’t the case.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2019 at 2:08 PM, BellaSpurs said:

The Ravens are one of the few teams that don’t need to change their identity ever. It looks beautiful.

I would argue that they're a couple tweaks away from the perfect look.

First and foremost, the white and purple pants have to go. The Ravens have never looked right with anything other than black pants. Their black/purple/black combo is one of the best looks in the league. However, the pants should have purple stripes to match the helmets. They also need contrasting socks to avoid the "yoga pants" look.

Secondly, the helmets would really benefit from a purple glimmer effect, similar to the teal glimmer effect on the Jaguars' 2009-2012 helmets.

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

13 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I would argue that they're a couple tweaks away from the perfect look.

First and foremost, the white and purple pants have to go. The Ravens have never looked right with anything other than black pants. Their black/purple/black combo is one of the best looks in the league. However, the pants should have purple stripes to match the helmets. They also need contrasting socks to avoid the "yoga pants" look.

Secondly, the helmets would really benefit from a purple glimmer effect, similar to the teal glimmer effect on the Jaguars' 2009-2012 helmets.

Remarkable about how a post can lead off with a opinion that, personally, i find to be 100% incorrect and then follow it up with something that is perfect.

Ravens should ditch the black pants and go with purple and white. Purple/white/black socks and white/purple/black are amazing looks. White/white black is good too, but not as much.

Purple flakes in the helmet though? amazing

• Like 3

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2019 at 8:24 AM, OnWis97 said:

Maybe I have the unpopular opinion.

I've hated everything about the Ravens look since day 1.

Unpopular opinion: When named after an animal, a team doesn't have to use the colors of that animal.*  The Detroit Tigers are fine with blue and orange. It would have been OK for the Ravens to come up with a color scheme that didn't try to emulate the colors of the Raven. It's thanks to this very board that I even knew ravens were tinted with purple. But they could have gone with Red and blue, green and yellow, black and red for all I care.  Those all have better contrast than black and purple.  The two stripes down the middle the helmet?  Can't really see them.

Unpopular opinion (?) black and purple is a bad combo.

*I'd even call it a double-edged sword for the Bengals.  They nailed it in 1982, but the current look with the white side panels is trying too hard to emulate tigers.

The Ravens is a great name for a team from Baltimore.  But visually, I've never been on board.

I like the colors but not the logo or number font.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

On 11/7/2019 at 5:11 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I've always thought that Detroit Pistons’ primary mark was supposed to look like a stylized top of a piston head, not a basketball.

primary_new.png710x528_2210867_466772_1459328076.jpg

Most pistons don't look like this, so I think you used selection bias to make your assumption. Of the dozens of pictures of pistons on Google Image search, the above was the only one that looks similar, but not quite the same, to the Pistons' logo.

Most pistons look like this:

s-l300.jpg

And even New Era and the NBA realize the Pistons' logo looks pretty close to a basketball

79162310-92c4-11e9-ab3b-9ed947f8abde

You can't possibly say "Why is every team depicting a piston for their draft hat?"

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Not really an unpopular opinion about uniforms, but about a phrase used to describe them:

Calling things “__F__S”, AKA “[Insert term] for [insert term]’s sake,” is dumb. It was sorta okay when it was just BFBS (even though I still didn’t love that terminology), but now I’ll see people use that style of abbreviation with tons of random stuff it really doesn’t need applied to. When you have to follow up the abbreviation with what it stands for, is it really worth using?

• Like 2