Unpopular Opinions

Out of curiosity, is it unpopular to really dislike the current Penguins unis?  

Penguins41.png

The striping patterns are just so disjointed every game I end up thinking this is probably one of my least favorite sets in the league.  The colors and logo are great (even though I personally loved the gold), but the other templates they have used would be vastly superior:

Penguins30.png

Penguins24.png

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Speaking of the Penguins;

The RoboPen is far and away the best logo the team's had. The Skating Penguin is fine, but I love the RoboPen.

The RoboPen looked amazing as a shoulder patch with the Skating Penguin as the primary.

31 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Better than any Nordiques/Avalanche jersey everrrrrr

How so? I can guarantee that if the Nordiques had stayed in Quebec, those jerseys would've gone the way of the other 90s jerseys from teams that shifted away from traditional looks. The team would've eventually gone back to either the classic of some variation of the classic like so many others did.

• Like 2

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

11 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The RoboPen is far and away the best logo the team's had. The Skating Penguin is fine, but I love the RoboPen.

Add me to that list too I also love RoboPen and I don't understand why Pittsburgh didn't use it as a Secondary logo. They could make alernate jersey base on it.

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

10 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

The RoboPen looked amazing as a shoulder patch with the Skating Penguin as the primary.

Yup, this. The current jerseys dont need a shoulder patch and look better without one, but the robopen would be the best one for the job.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

17 hours ago, _RH_ said:

Out of curiosity, is it unpopular to really dislike the current Penguins unis?  

Penguins41.png

The striping patterns are just so disjointed every game I end up thinking this is probably one of my least favorite sets in the league.  The colors and logo are great (even though I personally loved the gold), but the other templates they have used would be vastly superior:

Penguins30.png

Penguins24.png

I completely agree with you. I was disappointed when the throwback jersey was being elevated to full time because it meant they'd never fix the random striping design. I'm glad they ditched the Vegas gold that ended up becoming beige, but the actual design of the jerseys is bad. It's always struck me as a holdover from the era when hockey teams seemed to have just randomly picked a bunch of stripes without rhyme or reason. They had a perfect opportunity to update the design. Start with the yellow sleeve caps and then come up with a consistent striping pattern. 

To me Robo Pen is to Skating Pen as Helmet Dolphin is to Current Dolphin.

Oddly most people here seem to prefer the sleeker, less soulful/cartoony Robo Pen to Skating Pen while they prefer the campy Helmet Dolphin to the "soulless" Current Dolphin. Cartoon logos are very popular here (Cartoon Oriole, for example).  It surprises me that Robo Pen is so well-liked.

I am the opposite.  I hate Robo Pen but I love Current Dolphin.  In fact, Skating Pen is really me breaking my own rule. I tend not to like campy, cartoony logos.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I have a question that have a related about logos. 

In this article, Milwaukee Bucks even have a jersey concept from 2015/2015 - present (even if some teams isn't actually uptaded to today), but the Minnesota Lynx from WNBA don't have a updated jersey. I think that who is in charge of doing it should update and pay attention  more for teams, not only WNBA, but a lot of teams from basketball, baseball etc are without update... Minnesota Wolves even don't have a jersey update, just the 2016/17 

Yellow CAN touch white.  And it would make the numbers on uniforms like the Vikings, Packers, and Steelers better (Particularly the vikings, since they have more recent history of that than the others). The "rule" that yellow cannot touch white has contributed to the one-layer number fad and the addition of black where it's not needed.

(Yellow cannot touch white on both sides, though, Vikings.)

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Just now, DTConcepts said:

I actually like the Adidas NHL collars. Having a standardized uniform system is nice.

New York Islanders Matt Martin and Tom Kuhnhackl Out 4-6 Weeks

Bruins Beat Blue Jackets, Tie Playoff Series At 2-2 | WOSU Radio

Stretch Run Storylines: Edmonton Oilers | Pro Hockey Rumors

They look especially good on jerseys where the yoke bleeds into the collar, like these.

Totally agree on you, I think the only thing that would be better would be if the bottom side of the pentagon flattened out with the side of the jersey.

36 minutes ago, YankeeBaseball0934f said:

Totally agree on you, I think the only thing that would be better would be if the bottom side of the pentagon flattened out with the side of the jersey.

Problem I have with the Adidas rounded collars is the fact that a round collar doesn't make for a good for ties. The ties on a v-neck jersey made sense, the ties on this rounded collar is just stupid

4 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

I actually like the Adidas NHL collars. Having a standardized uniform system is nice.

New York Islanders Matt Martin and Tom Kuhnhackl Out 4-6 Weeks

Bruins Beat Blue Jackets, Tie Playoff Series At 2-2 | WOSU Radio

Stretch Run Storylines: Edmonton Oilers | Pro Hockey Rumors

They look especially good on jerseys where the yoke bleeds into the collar, like these.

I agree, but the biggest issue is the limited options for striping and design. I don’t mind the pentagon, but it can lead to some weird looks, like the Blackhawks first version. They also end up leading to teams doing the toilet bowl collars...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 8/8/2020 at 9:17 AM, Bmac said:

I completely agree with you. I was disappointed when the throwback jersey was being elevated to full time because it meant they'd never fix the random striping design. I'm glad they ditched the Vegas gold that ended up becoming beige, but the actual design of the jerseys is bad. It's always struck me as a holdover from the era when hockey teams seemed to have just randomly picked a bunch of stripes without rhyme or reason. They had a perfect opportunity to update the design. Start with the yellow sleeve caps and then come up with a consistent striping pattern. 

They aren't that random.  The hem stripes are basically the sleeve stripes pattern, but flipped.