Unpopular Opinions

On 11/6/2020 at 7:17 AM, QCS said:

Not sure how unpopular this is, but I absolutely hate how the Flyers have contrasting nameplates. I'd understand if it was tradition, but it only started in the late 2000s. Their original jerseys had normal nameplates, there's no reason for them to continue to do this, it's simply different for the sake of being different.

The contrasting name plate started back in the 70's.  There's a couple of different explanations I have found online.  One is that for the playoffs, both teams needed to wear them for TV.  The other is that NBC were doing a game of the week and asked both teams have name plates.  I don't know if both reasons are one and the same.  Since the Flyers didn't have orange name plates, they stuck the white ones on their road jerseys.  This picture is from the 73-74 season.  So, there is some history behind the contrasting name plate for the Flyers.  Any other team that is does it, does it just for the gimmick.  

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M4One said:

The contrasting name plate started back in the 70's.  There's a couple of different explanations I have found online.  One is that for the playoffs, both teams needed to wear them for TV.  The other is that NBC were doing a game of the week and asked both teams have name plates.  I don't know if both reasons are one and the same.  Since the Flyers didn't have orange name plates, they stuck the white ones on their road jerseys.  This picture is from the 73-74 season.  So, there is some history behind the contrasting name plate for the Flyers.  Any other team that is does it, does it just for the gimmick.  

spacer.png

Definitely agree with you about the orange jerseys.  If the Flyers want to do this as a nod to tradition, they should wear the white nameplates with black letters on both the orange and the white jerseys.

It is gimmicky with the Flyers current white jersey, which features the black nameplates with white letters.

spacer.png

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Wade Heidt said:

Definitely agree with you about the orange jerseys.  If the Flyers want to do this as a nod to tradition, they should wear the white nameplates with black letters on both the orange and the white jerseys.

It is gimmicky with the Flyers current white jersey, which features the black nameplates with white letters.

spacer.png

True.  I don't mind it either way, but I can see why they might have done it, just to match the home.  Consider it a minor tweak/update on their old look.  Kinda like how Calgary's hem striping on the home isn't quite the same as the original.

A few unpopular opinions of my own:

• I know Pistons fans like the horse logo better (1996-2001 for the teal one, 2001-2005 for the current colors), but I like their current logo the most. It's a nod to their Bad Boys-era one.
  • I actually like the Washington Football Team name and colors. I just wish the W itself was their logo, however.
  • Just like the White Sox, Cardinals, and Phillies (might have left out a few others), I wish the Yankees would utilize a throwback uniform as an alternate. Maybe 1927? It might be tricky, considering they didn't place numbers on their unis until 1929.
  • I actually like the Indians' C logo, but I would be open to them putting a feather on it to make it stand out. That way, any rumors of them changing their name are squashed.

The Suns “The Valley” jersey is beautiful 

spacer.png

Honestly, Phoenix could rebrand as The Valley Suns and I’d be okay with it. We have Golden State so I think we can deal with another regional nickname.

All of these designs that wound up on the cutting room floor are great too. Especially the first and second designs.

spacer.png

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Honestly, Phoenix could rebrand as The Valley Suns and I’d be okay with it. We have Golden State so I think we can deal with another regional nickname.

I think the issue there is that Golden State is explicitly California, whereas The Valley is way too vague and nondescript.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I think the issue there is that Golden State is explicitly California, whereas The Valley is way too vague and nondescript.

The other issue is that Golden State is a stupid name and very unfitting for a state where the most popular NBA team plays. I'm pretty firmly against regional nicknames as identifiers for anybody, forget a collegiate-sounding wannabe traveling team that already has historical precedent for the dignified "San Francisco Warriors".

• Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt

37 minutes ago, QCS said:

The other issue is that Golden State is a stupid name and very unfitting for a state where the most popular NBA team plays. I'm pretty firmly against regional nicknames as identifiers for anybody, forget a collegiate-sounding wannabe traveling team that already has historical precedent for the dignified "San Francisco Warriors".

I don't think Golden State is a good name, especially when there are multiple other teams that also play in the same state. However Golden States' run of recent success pretty much ensures that outside of the team moving outside of California at some point, the name is sticking around.

"The Valley" is worse though because it's so nondescript. You can go pretty much anywhere in the world and if you say "The Valley" to a local they'll almost all be thinking of a different place.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, QCS said:

I hate regional nicknames and vague titles and all of that, but even if you don't, San Francisco Warriors sounds so much better than Golden State Warriors. 

• Like 6

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I’m not in love with the Dolphins throwback uniforms. As a throwback, sure they’re nice but the striping/design is generic 60’s-70’s football uniform. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, I just don’t think they’re anything special.

The striping pattern (Should be Aqua/white/orange/white/aqua on the pants and helmet) and number font are really the only issues I have with the current uniforms. Everything else, including the logo is good.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

This may be the Rams best current look, and is at least on par with B/B/Y

1285853240.5.jpg

I actually prefer it over yellow pants, I think the yellow pants look too neon and make the already bright blue even brighter. This makes the blue more palatable. 

Then again it's still an F. 

• Like 3

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

11 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I actually prefer it over yellow pants, I think the yellow pants look too neon and make the already bright blue even brighter. This makes the blue more palatable. 

Then again it's still an F. 

To me, it’s works in the same way Washington does burgundy over white and how Chicago does blue over white

Unpopular opinion: I tend to prefer the phantom yokes. The reason I do is because I prefer the shape it gives to the extra color on the sleeve. For example, the red Wild alternate did not have the phantom yoke and as popular as that jersey was I hated it in part because the green on the sleeve just looked like a box.  When they upgraded it to primary, the phantom yoke gave the green that shape that was reminiscent of jerseys like the white Red Wings jersey, etc. I like that a lot better. Add the stripes to the bottom of the latter jersey and it's better by a mile. The green on the sleeves on the former was just to "boxy" for my taste, I guess.

t0vafndulbnrlzelu2r064f2g.gif  lb10yb4oszqigldhsihenoaug.gif

I also don't hate the phantom yoke when there's no barrier between to different colors:

t1vmp5xbx9f7w1bg2gf1wvz9t.gif
I understand why most people don't like it but it's kind of a guilty pleasure for me. In this example, I think it looks better than it would without.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, TheRealPepman said:

I think that the Knicks should use the uniforms below as their regular uniforms. Maybe that can turn the franchise's fortunes?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7e-h-ebbxAFpcgk5uI_O

Didn’t they do just a poorly in those uniforms as well? To say uniforms will change a teams fortune is just silly. The Knicks are a bad team in just about every aspect you can think of except for uniforms.

• Like 3