Unpopular Opinions

I feel like my distaste for the Flyers nameplates is unpopular.  They look cheap to me and the Flyers uniforms look like the 1970s decade from which they came...it feels like the 1980s version was a proper modernization of that look. Pictured below is my favorite Flyers jersey ever.  Probably not a popular opinion.

s71vhuhjlibea5mikfccwf8b4.gif

HOWEVER, I guess the current Flyers uniform caused me to have a Manela effect. I would have bet anything the contrasting nameplatae was taken right from the 1970s.  The mothership seems to show that they did NOT have contrasting nameplates in the 1970s.

Philadelphia Flyers (1973 - 1977)

That said, the current trim is based off of the 1970s and the sleeve numbers hanging off of the orange onto the white looks cheap to me as well.  I think they got it right in the 1980s.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'll second the opinion that the Flyers' nameplates look awful. If they wanted to say it was a historical thing, then do it on the orange jerseys only with a white nameplate and black text. It belongs nowhere near a white jersey nor alternates.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

I may be a traditionalist but I don't like Calgary returning to their retro jerseys full-time. They should've returned to the mid-2000s look instead.

Winnipeg needs a new look but I don't think the retros are the way to go.

10 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

HOWEVER, I guess the current Flyers uniform caused me to have a Manela effect. I would have bet anything the contrasting nameplatae was taken right from the 1970s.  The mothership seems to show that they did NOT have contrasting nameplates in the 1970s.

No, they did have contrasting nameplates at times in the 1970s, but only on the orange jerseys. The black nameplate on the white jerseys has no historical precedent and was added to match the contrasting nameplate on the orange jerseys.

mpbpbuf.jpg

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I recall when the Twins were the last team to have a nameplate on pinstripes. People said, correctly, that it looked cheap. I agree and I’m glad that they changed it but contrasting nameplates like the Flyers have is much more egregious.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

15 hours ago, Ark said:

Apparently this is an unpopular opinion on here.

This uniform

1042111068.jpg.0.jpg

is MUCH better better than this uniform, in every way - including the helmet

usa_today_15021800.0.jpg

I'm sorry that this is so unpopular around here but I think the Hartford Whalers had a pretty cool logo.

• Like 5

Count me on the side of liking the Flyers contrasting nameplates. I view it like the Steelers onesided helmet logos or the Bruins (formerly) gold socks. Its a unique part of the aesthetic they can own. Whether or not the current uniforms are 100% true to what they're based on isn't really relevant, there is some history its building on. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 4:15 PM, OnWis97 said:

I feel like my distaste for the Flyers nameplates is unpopular.  They look cheap to me and the Flyers uniforms look like the 1970s decade from which they came...it feels like the 1980s version was a proper modernization of that look. Pictured below is my favorite Flyers jersey ever.  Probably not a popular opinion.

s71vhuhjlibea5mikfccwf8b4.gif

Philadelphia Flyers (1973 - 1977)

That said, the current trim is based off of the 1970s and the sleeve numbers hanging off of the orange onto the white looks cheap to me as well.  I think they got it right in the 1980s.

I have a love / hate relationship with the '80s Flyers uniform. I Love the way it looks, it's my favorite of their uniforms, to me That look is the Flyers. Hate comes from the fact that I am on the West side of Pa  LOL! Actually Rick Tocchet and Tim Kerr were my favorite non Pens players

This board definitely hates the new Rams unis, but they don't like the old Rams uniforms as much as they should. That is a perfect football uniform.

People here also dislike the helmet and jersey being different shades of blue, but the new uniforms shows why they shouldn't be a the same. The new uniform is too top-heavy while the old uniform has perfect color balance.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

If I'm not mistaken, that goalie's number is 1. The Flyers had some odd 1s back then where the serif (for lack of a better term) came halfway down the number.

That's correct. It's known among Flyers fans and collectors as the "butter knife font." When the Flyers first introduced their current home uniform as an alternate in the 2008-09 season, they wore the period-accurate number font for its first two games before changing it to the current font.

13 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Reject Romanity, return to stripey 

This, but with the “O” logo, should have been the new Sens uniforms.

The Senators' barberpole jerseys have always been overrated. They aren't the original Senators. Their current look and a modernized version of the pre-Edge alternate would both be superior looks to the barber pole.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The OG Sens accomplished more than the modern club ever did. The Roman crap never fit the name. Granted, the OG Sens folded after moving to St. Louis, but they still have more Cups than the current model.

Change their name to the “Centurions,” then the Roman theme works. If not, make barberpole the primary.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2021 at 12:25 PM, ManillaToad said:

Definitely true though there are a fair amount of people here who prefer the new helmet for whatever reason

For me, it’s the simple fact that the old helmet horns had an incredibly wonky shape compared to the newer ones. I don’t mind the break in the horn either.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

The Senators' barberpole jerseys have always been overrated. They aren't the original Senators. Their current look and a modernized version of the pre-Edge alternate would both be superior looks to the barber pole.

The Roman theme's tenuous connection with the name makes it a non-starter. They aren't the original Senators, but the original Senators aren't around any longer. They're free to call back to it.

90s nostalgia is in though, so here we are.

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I don’t mind the break in the horn either.

I have TRIED to see a rams horn in the new helmet, and it's not working. I know what they're going for. I know what they want me to see, and I'm trying to make it work on my end, but I can't help but see two separate shapes.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, IceCap said:

The Roman theme's tenuous connection with the name makes it a non-starter. They aren't the original Senators, but the original Senators aren't around any longer. They're free to call back to it.

I mean, what does barber pole sweaters and a big O logo have to do with "Senators", either, to be fair? If that look didn't have the Cup legacy (or the modern team had managed to win in 2007), would people really be pushing for it so hard as the main look? It feels more like people just pushing it because it's associated with a really good team from the 1800's and early 1900's rather than because they think it's a great look in the modern day.

The current look at least gives the team a real sense of identity beyond "we look like that old team that used to play here a long-ass time ago and was pretty good". Much as it may be maligned in certain circles, I think having the Roman theme makes more sense, simply because it has more visual icons to play with for branding purposes; the laurels and the armored warrior motif both make for more visually interesting iconography than the original team's logo.

An O and some barberpole stripes can only get you so far, branding-wise, and we know how important branding is to sports teams nowadays. I think that's why they decided to stick to the theme they have now instead of committing to the O; branding beyond the jerseys.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, what does barber pole sweaters and a big O logo have to do with "Senators", either, to be fair?

It's a classic sports look akin to the Yankees' NY/pinstripes or the Canadiens' CH/chest stripe. It's from an era where uniforms and logos weren't as literal/emphasized monograms and so it works. 

The new Senators had a logo that called back to their namesake when they joined the NHL, but it was pretty bad and were told to redesign it. So we got a stretched Roman theme that's been associated with four playoff loses to their in-province rivals and a humiliating Cup Final showing. In the legacy of post-93 Canadian teams to make the Final no team produced as much of a wet fart as the Senators' showing against the Ducks. Even Edmonton on their third string goalie managed to push it to seven against Carolina. 

So what are we clinging to? Nostalgia for the mid 90s? I was a kid then too, I get it. And the Senators' 90s look wasn't as bad as some others, but it's hardly a modern classic. It's a logo that has nothing to do with the name and a history of post-season choke jobs. A far cry from the original Senators, one of the game's founding dynasties, eh? 

If that look didn't have the Cup legacy (or the modern team had managed to win in 2007), would people really be pushing for it so hard as the main look?

That's such a weak argument. I'm sorry if that's harsh but I've been seeing the same arguments trotted around for years now. 

"If the Yankees' unis were released today you'd all find them boring!" 

You can't disassociate an identity from the context it exists in. It's part of the package. If your only argument is "if things were different they'd be different" then I'm afraid I have to check out. 

An O and some barberpole stripes can only get you so far, branding-wise

The Canadiens' CH and chest stripe gets them pretty far. 

Hockey fans- especially Canadian hockey fans- are some of the most conscious sports fans when it comes to the game's history. Give them more credit than that.

Not everyone needs kachina stripes and a mascot logo to care. 

• Like 2