Unpopular Opinions

21 hours ago, IceCap said:

Does the =O= logo have the potential to be that for Ottawa? Yes. If it didn't they wouldn't have brought the "Senators" name back in the first place. 

I think it has the potential, certainly. But at the same time I think they can build a strong brand with the centurion as well. History is important, but its still a disjointed history. I don't look at the current Senators and think of the historical Senators any more than when I look at the Washington Nationals I think of the Washington Senators. I think a strong identity could be built from the =O=, but the modern team is far more integrated with the Roman aesthetic.  I'd honestly be fine with them going in either direction, I just wish they used the updated Roman head.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, IceCap said:

The idea that the =O= logo is somehow untenable as a modern day brand ignores the strong brands of teams like the Habs and Leafs. The argument that "those are boring!" is pretty weak. You can't separate a logo or uniform from context. And like those teams or not, those uniforms and logos resonate across the sport, from generation to generation. 

Does the =O= logo have the potential to be that for Ottawa? Yes. If it didn't they wouldn't have brought the "Senators" name back in the first place. 

At the same time, Ice, those teams didn't have a fifty-four year gap in NHL representation. The modern Senators aren't the historical Senators, and it really isn't their place to go pretending like they are by dressing up like them full-time in my opinion; put the shoe on Toronto and Montreal's feet and I still think the result ends up the same. 

Toronto and Montreal have the benefit of being the Dodgers and Yankees of the NHL; franchises with vast, storied histories. Ottawa is more akin to the Rockies; a team that has been around for a while and has been consistent in their brand identity since their first season in 1992.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 3:08 PM, IceCap said:

The idea that the =O= logo is somehow untenable as a modern day brand ignores the strong brands of teams like the Habs and Leafs.

The Habs' and Leafs' logos aren't nearly as boring as a plain Times New Roman O. Unlike the Senators, those teams also never came up with more appealing alternatives to their classic brands.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

22 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Toronto and Montreal have the benefit of being the Dodgers and Yankees of the NHL; franchises with vast, storied histories. Ottawa is more akin to the Rockies; a team that has been around for a while and has been consistent in their brand identity since their first season in 1992.

The Washington Nationals are a more apt comparison for Ottawa. A new team based in the nation's capital that chose a name that honoured the city's past team. People don't seem to have a problem with the Nats using the old Washington Senators' logo as their primary, so I don't understand why people have such an issue with Ottawa bringing back the barberpole stripes.

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

The Habs' and Leafs' logos aren't nearly as boring as a plain Times New Roman O. Unlike the Senators, those teams also never came up with more appealing alternatives to their classic brands.

Member hockey week did a great series of concepts on here a few years back on what the Sens would've hypothetically looked like today if they never moved/folded. The logo below is a great way to add a little more substance to the O without too many drastic changes. I'd be a proponent of them going the Rangers route, by having a more detailed primary logo, but still just using the standalone O on the jerseys.

spacer.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

Unlike the Senators, those teams also never came up with more appealing alternatives to their classic brands.

The Leafs and Habs have classic brands that go back over a hundred years. 

There are no appealing alternatives. Those are the brands. 

• Like 4

To my mind, if the Ottawa Senators are going to lean into the 'O' as the core image of their brand, simply layering it over a background of a rectangle comprised of a red stripe and a black stripe leaves a great deal to be desired. The 'O' itself needs some sort of adornment, if only to draw attention away from the fact that the letter is not that far removed from being a number '0'... and being labeled a zero isn't exactly something that most people - particularly, professional athletes - are striving to achieve.

With that in mind, here's what I've managed to crudely scrape together on the paper tablecloth of a Studio City café with colored pencils borrowed from the barista:

kPQwon1m.jpg

The Red, Black, and White are self-explanatory. The Grey is meant to be rendered in Metallic Silver. I recognize that jettisoning Gold for Silver would bring the Senators closer to the Hurricanes' palette, but the Silver is meant as a nod to the original Ottawa Hockey Club's "Silver Seven" era. Is it stunningly original design? No, of course not. Then again, my goal was to emulate the simplicity of classic NHL brands such as those of the Canadiens and Maple Leafs, without resorting to just slapping an 'O' on the front of a jersey, cap, t-shirt, etc. I'll admit that I'm not normally a fan of rendering a team's nickname in abbreviated form on a primary mark, but there was simply no way to get 'SENATORS' into the banner without having to shrink the type to a size that would risk legibility issues, either when seen from a distance or rendered at smaller sizes. Further, with regard to the word mark, I'd bow to the expertise of anyone particularly gifted at crafting fonts. I also wouldn't be averse to the word mark being rendered in two colors - but, that said, simplicity is to be strived for. 

Oh... and I realize that a certain Big Ten Conference member university would likely have a team of its attorneys readying a trademark infringement challenge within moments of the Ottawa Senators rolling such a mark out. 😉

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Quillz said:

I really hope San Diego finally has their identity and sticks with brown and yellow.

Yeah me too. For years I kept saying on this board for the Friars to bring back the Taco Bell look. The navy and orange they had in the 90's was fine, but the blue color reminded me too much of the Dodgers.

If the White Sox put the old sock logo on the sleeve and dropped the white trim, it might be in my top tier of road jerseys.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/19/2021 at 6:44 PM, Ark said:

I like the Turn Ahead the Clock uniforms but I REALLY like the Mercury Mets

rubdi6u8s3ftjkxdrywl

betq8uc6zuke5r1dsqfv

What a creative and fun idea.

I never heard of this before. I honestly love the jersey though, something I would buy actually.

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

I've got a few more.

1. I'm completely fine with NFL WR's being able to wear single-digit uniform numbers. Pre-season games have helped me get pretty used to that. I'm not as keen on the other changes to NFL uniform numbers, though.
  2. Purple and gold is a criminally underutilized color combination.
  3. I kind of like the Bally Sports graphics package.
  4. While I do have a soft spot for the late 70's/early 80's pullover script (including the throwback version of it), I think the 1983-1993 home uniforms might be my favorite look for the Giants in the San Francisco era.

f8c0669df6fa7e5230d2b16665f0ce68.jpg 

• Like 3

1. The "Black Jays" look from 2004-2011 was the best the Jays ever looked 

2. This is the best scorebug of all time, and I doubt anything will ever come close again.

spacer.png

I'll die on my mid 2000's hill if I have to.

• Like 1

SIG.png