Unpopular Opinions

11 hours ago, LA_Angels said:

1. The "Black Jays" look from 2004-2011 was the best the Jays ever looked 

2. This is the best scorebug of all time, and I doubt anything will ever come close again.

spacer.png

I'll die on my mid 2000's hill if I have to.

I think the Black Jays look is the worst they've ever looked, but I still don't think it was that bad and I don't think it deserves hate.  It did feel very appropriate for the 2000s.  I actually don't think the blue jays have ever looked bad, but the late 90s/early 2000s look aged quickly and already looked dated by 2003. I remember when I first saw the Black Jays look in 2004, I thought it was refreshing and cool.  I liked the logo, wordmarks, the shade of blue, and the blue jay itself.  Light blue, black, white, and graphite is a great color scheme on its own, and when you see a picture of a blue jay, it actually makes a lot of sense.  Having said that, there is no way I would still want them to be wearing that look today.  But I'm glad that they went through the Black Jays phase, it was different and fun while it lasted.  Ultimately though, it was too drab and that was it's main downfall, IMO.

Things that I think could have made that set look better - 

-having a blue alternate to be worn at home

-having a blue cap to be worn as a home cap... and possibly modifying the home jerseys to include more blue so as to match this cap

-restricting the black alternate to road games, and not wearing it so much

-restricting the black cap to road games

-keeping the road wordmark consistent with the home wordmark... I think at some point they changed the road wordmark and numbers, and it looked out of place

In other words, just figuring out some way to better way to balance the blue and black in that set could have made it look better, instead of letting the black completely dominate.  That's really my only complaint.  It's actually kind of the same problem that the Marlins have had for decades.  I guess black jerseys and caps just sell better than bright blue (or orange) ones.  That's the only explanation I can think of.

As for the FSN scorebug... I think I may agree with you there.  Or, at the very least, I can't think of one I like much better.

• Like 1

Full disclaimer, I'm a casual football fan at best so I have no idea if this is actually an unpopular opinion or not, but solid colored socks have really grown on me. Especially when they're not the same color as the pants but sometimes I don't mind the leotard look. So much better than the alternative, which is nearly every player wearing his socks "incorrectly". Solid socks are probably seen as a nothing more than lesser-evil option on here I'm guessing?

IMO, these look good

spacer.png

Say what you want about the Rams, they look better than the Cards in this one, mostly because of the Cards' outdated jerseys but also because they're all wearing their socks differently to the point were it just looks uncoordinated and random

spacer.png

What the hell is this?

spacer.png

Again, say what you want about the mono-black look but at least it looks like a uniform in every sense of the word. There's a cohesive element here, all the players wear black pants and socks and they look like a team

spacer.png

Last example, the Lions look so much better than the Texans here. Just a more complete, cohesive and professional look

spacer.png

• Like 4

I agree with the post about Washington being better off without yellow pants and not because some other teams wear them.  A few years ago, when I heard they were going with yellow pants, I thought it sounded great. But those pants never looked right to me.  Assuming they keep their general look and color scheme, I hope they keep with only white or burgundy pants.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Edmonton Oilers current home and road sets are the best they've ever looked. I think if they didn't have the Gretzky years, the royal blue uniforms would not be as popular as they are now. I also think the copper and navy was a really underrated colour scheme as well.

While I'm very much not an Oilers fan, I understand why many of them yearn for the team to return to the Gretzky jerseys full time, but I think the league as a whole looks better with them in orange.

• Like 3

I'm not a fan of the Flames going back to their 80s look full-time.

While I agree that their edge jerseys with the flag shoulder patches were atrocious, I think they should have replaced them with this uniform, instead. Change the script for the black Flaming C, call it a day, and that would have possibly been the best the Flames ever looked.

Calgary-Flames-New-Third-Jersey-590x401.

The black accents combined with red and yellow is a unique color scheme that's fitting for the Flames that I'm sad to see it go. I believe whoever is in charge of their uniform aesthetics has not done a good job.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 10:33 PM, ManillaToad said:

The Lightning look better now than they ever have. In fact, their current uniforms are the only time they've looked good at all

There are a few things I agree with.

The original jerseys did not look good with the reverse yokes and the odd stripes at the wrists. The colors were really misused. The 2000s update was a click n fill of the Senators/Penguins. More blue was a plus, but something put together in minutes without care is going will never feel appealing.

Black, blue, and white is a nice combo. Their best usage of it was the black Bolts jersey that was black with white stripes and well-placed blue accents.

The current blue jersey needs more black, imo. But there's a way to highlight this color scheme the right way. For some strange reason, those colors looked better on their alts.

On 5/6/2021 at 7:24 AM, DNAsports said:

Apparently this is a very unpopular opinion, but in a league that has the Steelers, Packers, Chargers, and Rams using “athletic gold” or similar pants, it’s refreshing to see Washington in this-

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

Compared to this-

spacer.png

spacer.png

I go back and forth on my preference between white or gold pants for Washington's burgundy jerseys. I think it's just based on which one I haven't seen as recently. I don't know.

• Like 3

On 4/19/2021 at 5:44 PM, Ark said:

I like the Turn Ahead the Clock uniforms but I REALLY like the Mercury Mets

rubdi6u8s3ftjkxdrywl

betq8uc6zuke5r1dsqfv

What a creative and fun idea.

In a bit of LOLMets magic, those graphics were produced in a raster image format (e.g., .jpg, .png, etc.) rather than vector one (s.g., .ai, .svg, .eps). Literally every other team uses vector image formats, even during the TATC promotion. It’s part of why the Mercury Mets stuff doesn’t get reproductions (aside from trademark crap). @TruColor, is this assessment accurate?

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 3:16 AM, SCalderwood said:

but I still don't think it was that bad and I don't think it deserves hate.

It's one of those "vacuum scenarios," where the identity in of itself was okay, but didn't fit the Blue Jays at all who had a great, solid identity prior. They went back to their senses from 2012 onward.

18 hours ago, DNAsports said:

This,

spacer.png

should be worn with this-

spacer.png

and definitely, at all times, this-

spacer.png

which itself should be upgraded to the main rotation full time

Keep the “LA” caps for the away uniforms

I'm bothered by the blue jersey using the thinner number font on the front, which is already an issue I have with the Dodgers in general. They need to be using the thicker variant, or fake it by having a color-matched outline.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Quillz said:

I'm bothered by the blue jersey using the thinner number font on the front, which is already an issue I have with the Dodgers in general. They need to be using the thicker variant, or fake it by having a color-matched outline.

Or might be a poor Photoshop? (this is a photo from 2018 Spring Training):

spacer.png

• Like 3

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

4 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

following up on the Oilers and Flames takes, and saying this as an Islanders fan: the Isles looked much better in navy blue.

I agree. 

While I tend to agree with most people that the darkening of uniforms in recent decades has been a negative overall (as evidenced by soulless teams like the Mavericks and the previous Brewers look), I tend to prefer one vivid color instead of two.  For example, I am not a fan of the kelly green A's jersey.  I think the forest green looks a lot better alongside the yellow. Similarly, alongside orange, I tend to prefer a darker blue.  Maybe the darker trend pulled me in a bit, but I find multiple vivid colors to be a bit too loud for my taste.

• Like 6

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

• 3 weeks later...

Am I only one thinks Flames should adopt maroon to their scheme? Maroon is a unique colour and it’s rarely used in pro sports. Not only that, it helps tone down their bright red and yellow scheme.  I love their 80s uniforms but they’re bit too bright.  Since Calgary is nicknamed “Cowtown” and home of Calgary Stampede,  why don’t make the Flames bit more western? I’ll love to see they add a western number font. 

• Like 1

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

12 hours ago, Eastport76 said:

Am I only one thinks Flames should adopt maroon to their scheme? Maroon is a unique colour and it’s rarely used in pro sports. Not only that, it helps tone down their bright red and yellow scheme.  I love their 80s uniforms but they’re bit too bright.  Since Calgary is nicknamed “Cowtown” and home of Calgary Stampede,  why don’t make the Flames bit more western? I’ll love to see they add a western number font. 

I am saying this only a few posts from where I state that I prefer only one vivid color...but my gosh do the flames look good as is.  I was heartbroken when they added black and I'd put them in a small mix for best looking team in the league.

That said, I think maroon might work out alright. Not sure whether you mean using maroon as an additional color or in place of red, but I've seen concepts with maroon in addition to red that have looked pretty good. Iowa State has a bit of this going on with their darker trim and it looks decent.

• Like 1

POTD (Shared)