Unpopular Opinions

17 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Yeah, pretty much, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Absolutely. I'd bet the majority of us prefer the tops not match the bottoms in football, while preferring they do match in basketball.

(Though you're still wrong about dark tops in baseball; match them with white or gray pants.)

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Absolutely. I'd bet the majority of us prefer the tops not match the bottoms in football, while preferring they do match in basketball.

(Though you're still wrong about dark tops in baseball; match them with white or gray pants.)

Speaking of which, how about hockey? I've always liked contrasting socks in hockey, as long as the socks are lighter than the jersey, like these:

spacer.pngspacer.png

But NOT these. I feel the leotard look is even worse in hockey than football

spacer.png\spacer.png

Is this an unpopular opinion?

10 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Speaking of which, how about hockey? I've always liked contrasting socks in hockey, as long as the socks are lighter than the jersey, like these:

spacer.pngspacer.png

But NOT these. I feel the leotard look is even worse in hockey than football

spacer.png\spacer.png

Is this an unpopular opinion?

What’s wrong with the ducks one? It even has lighter socks than the pants like you say you like?

24 minutes ago, dont care said:

What’s wrong with the ducks one? It even has lighter socks than the pants like you say you like?

Well you're right, the socks are mostly jade but the bottom is still eggplant. Anyway, I said I liked when the socks were lighter than the jerseys, not the pants lol. I find it puzzling that they didn't go with the white version of those socks. It would have looked so much better

spacer.png

Unless it was meant to be a shout out to the Mighty Ducks movies and/or early pre-season games from the inaugural season? Either way, it made them look like a beer league team that can't afford or just don't want to buy more than one pair of socks

spacer.pngspacer.png

28 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Well you're right, the socks are mostly jade but the bottom is still eggplant. Anyway, I said I liked when the socks were lighter than the jerseys, not the pants lol. I find it puzzling that they didn't go with the white version of those socks. It would have looked so much better

Unless it was meant to be a shout out to the Mighty Ducks movies and/or early pre-season games from the inaugural season? Either way, it made them look like a beer league team that can't afford or just don't want to buy more than one pair of socks

It's because those are the same socks the original Wild Wing used;

spacer.png

The RR only reversed the white and jade on the jersey itself.

14 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

It's because those are the same socks the original Wild Wing used;

spacer.png

The RR only reversed the white and jade on the jersey itself.

I know. I'm just saying they should have used the white socks. They're the only team as far as I can tell that have ever used dark socks with a white jersey.  And now we know why. It throws off the color balance and it looks cheap. Is it a cost saving measure because they still had those socks laying around from the 2013 one off game?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I know. I'm just saying they should have used the white socks. They're the only team as far as I can tell that have ever used dark socks with a white jersey.  And now we know why. It throws off the color balance and it looks cheap. Is it a cost saving measure because they still had those socks laying around from the 2013 one off game?

You really think they just held on to socks for 7 years?

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, dont care said:

You really think they just held on to socks for 7 years?

I know you're probably just being cheeky but actually yes, I wouldn't be surprised if they did that. The Rangers and Devils were known to use old practice jerseys, for example. It's not that unrealistic to think that maybe they figured "eh, close enough" cause the average NHL exec isn't your average sportslogos forum poster. How else would you explain the dark socks and white jersey combo? It's not a common thing at all

• LOL 1

7 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I know you're probably just being cheeky but actually yes, I wouldn't be surprised if they did that. The Rangers and Devils were known to use old practice jerseys, for example. It's not that unrealistic to think that maybe they figured "eh, close enough" cause the average NHL exec isn't your average sportslogos forum poster. How else would you explain the dark socks and white jersey combo? It's not a common thing at all

Reusing practice jerseys year to year is a lot different than keeping socks in storage for 7 years because you might use them again. The team would spend more in storage costs than they would just buying new socks. You are being ridiculous dude

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

The original Wild Wing socks were knit. The Reverse Retros are modern material. It wasn't the Ducks being cheap, it was a bad aesthetic decision. This debate is stupid.

I'm talking about the 2013 one-off socks. The debate isn't stupid, you're just uninformed. Asking why the Ducks would be the ONE team wearing dark socks with a white jerseys is a perfectly legitimate question. Especially considering the context that teams are trying to save money with the pandemic, the Ducks have historically never been big spenders and that they probably didn't even want to participate in the RR program in the first place since their jerseys were worn the least amount of games possible, only twice if I'm not mistaken. Little details like going with solid eggplant gloves when they should have had jade fingers and thumbs and cuff extensions and wrong helmet stickers also tell me that they don't care much for accuracy either

spacer.png

9 hours ago, dont care said:

Reusing practice jerseys year to year is a lot different than keeping socks in storage for 7 years because you might use them again. The team would spend more in storage costs than they would just buying new socks. You are being ridiculous dude

Storage costs? For a cardboard box with a few socks in it? And I'm the one being ridiculous? lol

It's highly possible that they sold off those socks years ago in those pro stock and game worn equipment sales. But it's also not that farfetched to think that they would have kept a few socks around

51 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Storage costs? For a cardboard box with a few socks in it? And I'm the one being ridiculous? lol

It's highly possible that they sold off those socks years ago in those pro stock and game worn equipment sales. But it's also not that farfetched to think that they would have kept a few socks around

Take off your tin-foil hat. It's just a bad aesthetic choice. There's no penny-pinching conspiracy here.

• Like 2

Don’t like Oregon’s winged helmets or Apple Green color. This helmet and shade of green is what the Ducks should be wearing:

spacer.png

The O is instantly recognizable and the Mallard head iridescent green is just clever enough. The next version of the green jersey was better but this helmet is perfect.

• Like 5

On 9/17/2021 at 6:11 AM, 8BW14 said:

Don’t like Oregon’s winged helmets or Apple Green color. This helmet and shade of green is what the Ducks should be wearing:

The O is instantly recognizable and the Mallard head iridescent green is just clever enough. The next version of the green jersey was better but this helmet is perfect.

I agree with you on the helmet. That helmet was becoming a classic and they decided to stop using it in favor of difficult-to-see wings that are made out of butter knives.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I've only realized this is an unpopular opinion after reading through the NFL 2021 thread, but I am not a fan of the New York Giants wearing grey pants. I understand the historical context, but the white just looks a lot better to me. 

I think the LT era set is a bit too similar to the Bills' look, but I think there's a nice middle ground to be found between that set and the current look.

• Like 4

I agree, and I'll take it a step further: I can only think of three (maybe four) teams that should be wearing gray pants: Lions, Raiders, Cowboys, and maybe the Patriots. I prefer the Pat Patriot look with white pants, but if they keep the silver helmet, then gray pants would be nice. No other team should be wearing gray pants, not the Giants, not the Panthers, not the Falcons. White just looks better.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, QCS said:

I agree, and I'll take it a step further: I can only think of three (maybe four) teams that should be wearing gray pants: Lions, Raiders, Cowboys, and maybe the Patriots. I prefer the Pat Patriot look with white pants, but if they keep the silver helmet, then gray pants would be nice. No other team should be wearing gray pants, not the Giants, not the Panthers, not the Falcons. White just looks better.

I’d say the Seahawks are worth talking about in this conversation

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

18 hours ago, QCS said:

I agree with all of those except the Panthers. I think a silver helmet should always be paired with silver pants.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I like NFL skill position players in single digits and in the 10s. I feel like those numbers look best on guys who are fast and lean.

That said, since few non-TE's are wearing numbers in the 80s anymore, I'd like them to be available to d-linesmen and linebackers. It was pretty common until the 1980s and big round numbers look better on those guys.

• Like 5