Unpopular Opinions

Not sure if this is all that unpopular of an opinion, but I think the Baltimore Ravens got it right the second time:

13020211115718.jpg

1997-road-e1611343491663.jpg

Even to this day Baltimore has largely remained unchanged, and the fact that the main logo was changed in 1999 is largely due to the fact that Art Modell was such a cheapskate (to be fair, that’s also a big part why we even have the Ravens in the first place)—even after getting a sweetheart stadium deal from the city.

I consider these (and the Ravens’ overall set) to still be a modern classic, despite its flaws. IMO the Purple, Black, and White with Gold accents really play off of each other well and fits a team named the Ravens really well.

Anyways, more realistically, Baltimore should put those stripes back on their black pants and find a lawyer-friendly shield or swooping bird logo to put on their helmets. Maybe they can even add some white or gold stripes onto their helmets (with a fitting logo).

If I had my way, Ravens management would just bury the hatchet with the security guard who drew up the prototype  (or his family/estate if he’s no longer with us) and offer apparel/tickets/etc. for use of that original logo; that’s more than the $3 he ended up with IIRC. I know it won’t happen, but a guy can dream.

Edited by DustDevil61
Fitting
  • Like 9

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

39 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

I consider these (and the Ravens’ overall set) to still be a modern classic, despite its flaws. IMO the Purple, Black, and White with Gold accents really play off of each other well and fits a team named the Ravens really well.

Agreed 100%. I'm a huge fan of tertiary colors when used properly, and the Ravens' gold is perfect. I've always liked their number font too. The only change I would make would be to remove the 'B' from the Raven head logo. Absolutely modern classics though. I've never understood the hate. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 7:59 PM, DustDevil61 said:

Not sure if this is all that unpopular of an opinion, but I think the Baltimore Ravens got it right the second time:

13020211115718.jpg

1997-road-e1611343491663.jpg

Even to this day Baltimore has largely remained unchanged, and the fact that the main logo was changed in 1999 is largely due to the fact that Art Modell was such a cheapskate (to be fair, that’s also a big part why we even have the Ravens in the first place)—even after getting a sweetheart stadium deal from the city.

Anyways, more realistically, Baltimore should put those stripes back on their black pants and find a lawyer-friendly shield or swooping bird logo to put on their helmets. Maybe they can even add some white or gold stripes onto their helmets (with a fitting logo).

If I had my way, Ravens management would just bury the hatchet with the security guard who drew up the prototype  (or his family/estate if he’s no longer with us) and offer apparel/tickets/etc. for use of that original logo; that’s more than the $3 he ended up with IIRC. I know it won’t happen, but a guy can dream.

I always liked the shield better than the forward-facing bird - the shield just uses the space better - but one slight change they could make that only a few people might notice would be to make the helmet stripes metallic chrome purple (not shiny chrome)...those kinds of decals kind of bend light differently than regular glossy decals. May give off a better raven-like effect. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Speaking of Baltimore, I think this should be their full time Home and Away looks.

The definitive 2020 Baltimore Ravens uniform rankings

5 takeaways from the Ravens 26-23 overtime victory over the Steelers -  Baltimore Beatdown

I know purple is their thing but I really think the black jersey and helmet with purple pants is the best they've ever looked. You still get a heavy dose of purple. Ravens are black birds too with a slight purple sheen to their feathers depending on the lighting.  The colours are balanced so much better, and you don't get the horrible yoga pants look with the black socks.

• Like 15

I have never, ever been able to get my brain to see the effect that they're going for on the Minnesota Vikings helmets. I know what it's supposed to be, but I just can't make myself see it as a 3D image. I've tried many, many times. For that reason, I do not like it as a helmet design. Their logo would look a lot better on a helmet.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

6 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

I have never, ever been able to get my brain to see the effect that they're going for on the Minnesota Vikings helmets. I know what it's supposed to be, but I just can't make myself see it as a 3D image. I've tried many, many times. For that reason, I do not like it as a helmet design. Their logo would look a lot better on a helmet.

Do you not see the Rams horn? It’s the same concept. 

Not sure how unpopular this qualifies as, but regardless: after a quick skim of GUD, I’ve come to the conclusion that the football Cardinals have never had a good uniform. 

• Like 7

spacer.png

18 hours ago, Crabcake said:

Not sure how unpopular this qualifies as, but regardless: after a quick skim of GUD, I’ve come to the conclusion that the football Cardinals have never had a good uniform. 

I’d say they’ve had some decent ones, but never anything-top tier.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 4:02 PM, Chromatic said:

Speaking of Baltimore, I think this should be their full time Home and Away looks.

5 takeaways from the Ravens 26-23 overtime victory over the Steelers -  Baltimore Beatdown

I know purple is their thing but I really think the black jersey and helmet with purple pants is the best they've ever looked. You still get a heavy dose of purple. Ravens are black birds too with a slight purple sheen to their feathers depending on the lighting.  The colours are balanced so much better, and you don't get the horrible yoga pants look with the black socks.

They should be like the AFC version of Dallas and wear these when the other team wears white at home

Screen-Shot-2016-11-11-at-9.59.22-AM.png

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 3:02 PM, Chromatic said:

I feel seen.

• Like 1