Unpopular Opinions

The Los Angeles Rams Are Loaded With Stars, But None Shine Brighter Than  The Unlikely Cooper Kupp

I actually really like the gradient numbers on the Rams home jerseys. The look as a whole needs some work, but this is a feature I really like. It isn't egregiously focus grabbing like the Jags gradient helmet, but its subtle enough to add some unique local flavour to the jersey,  kind of like the Seahawks feather number pattern that's also reminiscent of salmon scale. It reminds me of a California sunrise, and for a club thats really trying to establish itself as 'LA's team', I think it works. 

• Like 14

On 3/1/2022 at 6:05 AM, Chromatic said:

The Los Angeles Rams Are Loaded With Stars, But None Shine Brighter Than  The Unlikely Cooper Kupp

I actually really like the gradient numbers on the Rams home jerseys. The look as a whole needs some work, but this is a feature I really like. It isn't egregiously focus grabbing like the Jags gradient helmet, but its subtle enough to add some unique local flavour to the jersey,  kind of like the Seahawks feather number pattern that's also reminiscent of salmon scale. It reminds me of a California sunrise, and for a club thats really trying to establish itself as 'LA's team', I think it works. 

Something about the blue over bone clicked for me the last time I saw it. I have no idea why but something clicked.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Nike aversion of shiny/dazzle fabric led to the improvement of the Eagles midnight green

spacer.png

vs Reebok

spacer.png

The bottom picture is (dark dark dark) green. The top picture is dark teal.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I liked the Brewer's previous identity much more than the current one. The colors were perfect, as was the hat logo. The wordmark could've used some work and I could've lived without the drop shadows but the grain theme was well executed. It completely fit the team name in a unique way without being over the top.

Their new brand completely whiffed on the colors first of all. If they were going to change one of the colors back to their retro look, it should've been blue. This is the only instance I can think of where I prefer gold to yellow. A large part of the reason is the connection to the grain theme. Navy also just looks bad with yellow. I don't like navy at all in sports branding, but it looks especially bad with yellow. The MB logo is just a visual pun with no meaning or life. The jerseys are completely lifeless. Just a complete downgrade all around.

• Like 2

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

The Eagles have never had a truly elite uniform set. 

Silver wings with no outline? Looks unfinished, and the uniforms were boring. Excellent colors but boring.  

Green and white with no silver? Blah. 

Jaws/Vermeil-era? Too stripe-heavy, plus they didn’t have logos on the uniforms yet. 

Buddy Ryan/Randall Cunningham-era? Too plain. Good but not great.

Current? Too much black with a color (midnight green) that doesn’t properly contrast with it, and not enough silver. 

Aside from the hideous all-black alt look that will be receiving a black helmet this year, they’ve never had a truly TERRIBLE look...it’s just that it always feels like something is missing. 

• Like 8

On 4/10/2022 at 10:25 PM, throwuascenario said:

I liked the Brewer's previous identity much more than the current one. The colors were perfect, as was the hat logo. The wordmark could've used some work and I could've lived without the drop shadows but the grain theme was well executed. It completely fit the team name in a unique way without being over the top.

Their new brand completely whiffed on the colors first of all. If they were going to change one of the colors back to their retro look, it should've been blue. This is the only instance I can think of where I prefer gold to yellow. A large part of the reason is the connection to the grain theme. Navy also just looks bad with yellow. I don't like navy at all in sports branding, but it looks especially bad with yellow. The MB logo is just a visual pun with no meaning or life. The jerseys are completely lifeless. Just a complete downgrade all around.

Agree that navy and yellow is an extremely overrated combination. I also thought the wheat color and associated logo were both underrated. 

That said...BiG is iconic for a reason. I can’t imagine it with the wheat color, either. I agree that royal and yellow would’ve worked great in this context. 

On 4/10/2022 at 10:25 PM, throwuascenario said:

I don't like navy at all in sports branding

Really?

The Yankees...Red Sox...Tigers...none of those look good with navy? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Really?

I kinda agree with throwuascenario. When I was a kid, I just assumed the Yankees and Tigers wore black. As an adult graphic designer, I understand that NY, Detroit, Boston, Cleveland, Seattle, Minnesota, Atlanta and St. Louis ALL wear 289c (Midnight Navy). If it's so dark you can't tell it's blue without being TOLD it's blue, it's too dark. 

But dark blue that's got, you know, some actual, observable HUE to it? That's fine.

9 hours ago, sitboaf said:

I kinda agree with throwuascenario. When I was a kid, I just assumed the Yankees and Tigers wore black. As an adult graphic designer, I understand that NY, Detroit, Boston, Cleveland, Seattle, Minnesota, Atlanta and St. Louis ALL wear 289c (Midnight Navy). If it's so dark you can't tell it's blue without being TOLD it's blue, it's too dark. 

But dark blue that's got, you know, some actual, observable HUE to it? That's fine.

When you were a kid, did you think Cleveland, Seattle, Minnesota, Atlanta, and St Louis (and even California) wore black? If not, why did they appear more navy than Yankees/Tigers even though they wore the same shade? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

16 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Really?

Correct. They shouldn't change, because they have established brands that have decades of equity. But they don't look good by any stretch. Navy and white is about the worst, most bland color scheme in sports. Black and white looks crisp and the white pops off the black. Somehow navy looks much less crisp yet much more bland. Same thing with red. It just pops off black so much better. Nothing pops off navy yet it can't carry weight as its own color either. There isn't a team in any sport that uses navy that wouldn't look better if you substituted it for either black or royal blue. All three of these teams would look better in black. Not that they should change now, but it would look a lot better. 

• Like 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

2 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

Correct. They shouldn't change, because they have established brands that have decades of equity. But they don't look good by any stretch. Navy and white is about the worst, most bland color scheme in sports. Black and white looks crisp and the white pops off the black. Somehow navy looks much less crisp yet much more bland. Same thing with red. It just pops off black so much better. Nothing pops off navy yet it can't carry weight as its own color either. There isn't a team in any sport that uses navy that wouldn't look better if you substituted it for either black or royal blue. All three of these teams would look better in black. Not that they should change now, but it would look a lot better. 

I’d argue that gold looks the best and is probably the only color that “pops” off of navy. 
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

6 hours ago, WSU151 said:

When you were a kid, did you think Cleveland, Seattle, Minnesota, Atlanta, and St Louis (and even California) wore black? If not, why did they appear more navy than Yankees/Tigers even though they wore the same shade? 

As a casual Red Sox fan, I didn't really think of the other teams outside the AL East so much. Cleveland and California seemed dark blue (maybe the red helped set it off), and Boston uses a non-navy blue in so much of their marketing that I knew they used blue, too.  But until embarrassingly recently, I had incorrectly thought that Boston's away jerseys from the 1980s had black BOSTON lettering.