Unpopular Opinions

But I still love the new Lightning uniforms. They're beautiful. I don't see what not to like.

If they were an Original Six team, they'd be okay (but still unspectacular). What drags the uniform down for people, including myself, is that a non-traditional franchise in Tampa Bay is playing Original Six Dress-up and borrowing heavily from the Maple Leafs and Red Wings to do so. Not to mention, in their rush to force in elements of a tradition they don't have, they eliminated the one defining aesthetic tradition they did have - the victory stripes.

display_image.jpg

Personally, I like the rebrand because of the simplicity and the colors. The uniforms and the logo itself were made simple, which is usually better in my book. And any time we can get rid of more black, especially in hockey(thanks to the Pacific Division for making sick of black jerseys), that I will support it. It also helps that blue is my favorite color. I really don't view it as an Original Six knockoff. If that is our standard of what good hockey aesthetics is, why shouldn't teams strive to look like that. I'd give you that it's a similar look to Toronto, but does it really take more than half a second to figure out which team it is? No, not for me. Like, I've said, just because a team is new, doesn't mean like have to be ultra modern and look like crap. And to me, the victory stripes for just too miniscule, and somewhat obstructed, design feature to really mourn the loss. And for those that really love the black, there's always the alt.

The thing is, they'd used black as their primary color for twenty years. Is that a century, a la the Canadiens? No. But it's not a small amount of time, either. Seems a bit slapdash to throw that away just to simply. There is such a thing as oversimplification.

I do like the logo a lot better than their old one, but they could have easily incorporated other colors without overdoing it; the same can be said of the jerseys. (See also: Phoenix's ignoring of the sand in their logo, which would make a nice accent on their jerseys.)

The victory stripes were small, but they were uniquely Tampa's. Throwing away tradition (yup, even though it's Florida hockey, it's tradition for them) and character in the name of simplicity is--in my mind--overkill.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

What's the deal with the victory stripes anyway? They wore them before they won the Cup.

The idea is that you raise your arms in victory after a win or goal and show off your glorious armpits of triumph. One of the dumbest uniform idiosyncrasies around.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like the Steelers' rounded numbers, but wish they weren't italicized.

So do I but I actually give them a pass on the italics because the numbers are simple without any outlines with a clean back drop of the complete opposite color. Works for me.

Me as well.

spacer.png

Unpopular opinion? My favorite unis in the NBA right now - the Atlanta Hawks.

Yes. The Hawks redesign of a few years ago was fantastic.

I think the Hawks redesign was terrible. They abandoned the color scheme which they completely owned in basketball, one which has been synonymous with the franchise for fourty something years, in order to adopt a color scheme which a whole bunch of teams across all sports already wear. Not only that, but every element of the new jerseys (font, wordmark, logos) blows. Their previous set before the rebrand was underwhelming, but the current stuff was a giant mistake.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Unpopular opinion? My favorite unis in the NBA right now - the Atlanta Hawks.

Yes. The Hawks redesign of a few years ago was fantastic.

I think the Hawks redesign was terrible. They abandoned the color scheme which they completely owned in basketball, one which has been synonymous with the franchise for fourty something years, in order to adopt a color scheme which a whole bunch of teams across all sports already wear. Not only that, but every element of the new jerseys (font, wordmark, logos) blows. Their previous set before the rebrand was underwhelming, but the current stuff was a giant mistake.

But the uniforms after the redesign looked a lot better than before, and are among the best in the NBA.

I also didn't think the color design, while unique, didn't look very good on the court. The Hawks between the Wilkins/Webb era and the current era looked horrible.

And the font, logos and wordmarks are fantastic. I don't care what you think. This is the unpopular opinion's thread, isn't it? This is one of my (many) unpopular opinions.

spacer.png

What's the deal with the victory stripes anyway? They wore them before they won the Cup.

The idea is that you raise your arms in victory after a win or goal and show off your glorious armpits of triumph. One of the dumbest uniform idiosyncrasies around.

Yes, it's a silly idea, but it's their silly idea, and has WAY more tradition for the Lightning than their new ripoff of other teams' traditional looks.

As for the Hawks... I'm in the middle. Like the uniform design, hate the cliche, derivative color scheme. Recolor those uniforms in red/yellow/black and they're perfect.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

But I still love the new Lightning uniforms. They're beautiful. I don't see what not to like.

If they were an Original Six team, they'd be okay (but still unspectacular). What drags the uniform down for people, including myself, is that a non-traditional franchise in Tampa Bay is playing Original Six Dress-up and borrowing heavily from the Maple Leafs and Red Wings to do so. Not to mention, in their rush to force in elements of a tradition they don't have, they eliminated the one defining aesthetic tradition they did have - the victory stripes.

display_image.jpg

The above uniforms should have never been changed. When a team keeps the same relative look for it's first 12 seasons culminating in the ultimate prize, you don't just abruptly change it 3 seasons later. Clip art-ish wordmark or not.

O...k.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

O...k.

Maybe they were each playoff appearance to that point. That's all I can guess.

90758391980.gif

Maybe they were each playoff appearance to that point. That's all I can guess.

No, that's not it, because they wore them starting in their inaugural season.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Perfect? No. But they won tons of titles wearing them. Thus they will stay.

That's terrible logic for keeping a uniform, though. You shouldn't judge whether a team should keep a set solely based on how well they played in them. There's got to be some aesthetics/fashion judgment, too.

I agree.

Should the White Sox still be wearing their 1980s striped jerseys today if they happened to win a lone championship while wearing them?

It's terrible logic, not my logic, but can you deny that winning "freezes" a team's design?

No, I don't think winning a championship means your uniform design should never be changed again. If a team just happened to wear a championship wearing bright neon colors and spandex, I don't think that's a timeless look they should never leave.

For example, I think the Diamondbacks look better now than they did in 2001, despite winning a championship in their purple pinstripes. While I think they should have kept purple in place of red, I think their uniform changes were overall positive.

Things have certainly improved in this regard in the last 30 years!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions