Unpopular Opinions

1 hour ago, Ark said:

The Edge jerseys are pretty good for Edge jerseys. The main improvement they have over the original is the slimmer design. It just looks better.

Look at this pic, the Thrashers uniform is much better IMO

w640xh480_GettyImages-80369947.jpg

Now THAT'S an unpopular opinion lol. But nah, the side piping sucks. The waist stripe on the pre-Edge version with the small arrows/beaks looked much better

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Now THAT'S an unpopular opinion lol. But nah, the side piping sucks. The waist stripe on the pre-Edge version with the small arrows/beaks looked much better

I meant in comparison to the Capitals uniform. I'm sure they would have fixed the Edge mistakes in later years and have a great uniform today... unless they did a fauxback or something like the Panthers.

1 hour ago, Ark said:

I meant in comparison to the Capitals uniform. I'm sure they would have fixed the Edge mistakes in later years and have a great uniform today... unless they did a fauxback or something like the Panthers.

Ah I see. Then again, the Caps themselves still haven't fixed their Edge mistakes lol. Can't take anything for granted

Speaking of unpopular opinions, this is my favorite Edge monstrosity. I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I can't be the only one since finding one of those jerseys is damn near impossible these days

spacer.png

Something about the piping works here. Not sure why. Maybe the loose connection to the arch of St Louis, but imo the Blues are the only team that got Edge-ified and still looked decent. Or maybe I'm biased because Paul Kariya was my favourite player?

On 8/17/2022 at 5:52 PM, Ark said:

I love these uniforms

image.png

It's not a bad jersey, but with the different sleeves, it probably should have stayed as an alternate.  It's a good example of what I think an alternate should be.  A little outside the box, but still looks good.

• Like 3

The Thrashers were just so close with the pre-edge powder jerseys. They just needed to go away with the contrast stitching and weird armpit areas. 

But the edge version was way, way inferior. The side panels were awful, but changing the outline on the main logo was a terrible decision. The white outline looks so much better than the tan. 

However, adding a shoulder patch was a great choice. 

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 8/18/2022 at 10:55 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Ah I see. Then again, the Caps themselves still haven't fixed their Edge mistakes lol. Can't take anything for granted

Speaking of unpopular opinions, this is my favorite Edge monstrosity. I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I can't be the only one since finding one of those jerseys is damn near impossible these days

spacer.png

Something about the piping works here. Not sure why. Maybe the loose connection to the arch of St Louis, but imo the Blues are the only team that got Edge-ified and still looked decent. Or maybe I'm biased because Paul Kariya was my favourite player?

I actually didn't mind this Flyers' look. I think if they had gone with an orange version at home instead of sticking with black, they would've been received a lot better. They really need to go back to the single layer black letters for the captains instead of the white outlined in black on a white background.

spacer.png

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I actually didn't mind this Flyers' look. I think if they had gone with an orange version at home instead of sticking with black, they would've been received a lot better. They really need to go back to the single layer black letters for the captains instead of the white outlined in black on a white outline.

spacer.png

Right, I keep forgetting these jerseys ever existed! I actually even liked the black one. I'm not a fan at all of their current/70s look. The contrasting nameplate is the worst gimmick ever, the hollow numbers and captain letters look awful, the shade of orange is eye searing and even the socks could use some black stripes on them. Some teams get it right the first time, other teams like the Flyers get it right once they tweak around a bit. Those 80s/90s/00s jerseys were perfect, especially with the black alternate in the rotation.

Those Flyers Edge jerseys, like the Blues ones I posted above, were terrible on paper but looked alright in action. Or maybe we're just being nostalgic and they were terrible all along ahah

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 1:13 PM, spartacat_12 said:

I actually didn't mind this Flyers' look. I think if they had gone with an orange version at home instead of sticking with black, they would've been received a lot better. They really need to go back to the single layer black letters for the captains instead of the white outlined in black on a white outline.

spacer.png

I also liked that look for the Flyers, and I agree that an orange version would have been nice as well. The sleeve stripes were almost wing-like. A while back, I made a concept to that effect.

spacer.png

I also think the Islanders nailed it with their Edge 1.0 look and every change they've made since then has been a downgrade. The orange sleeves popped, especially on the road whites. And as much as people complain about phantom yokes, I think they were used to great effect here. The front numbers were unnecessary, and the shoulder patches should have been on both sides, but beyond those minor details, this was a fine look. Unlike most of the early Edge experiments, this could have been worn in any era without raising an eyebrow.

spacer.png

• Like 3

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

On 8/27/2022 at 8:22 AM, DCarp1231 said:

Oregon’s “duck” uniform was their best overall uniform-

spacer.png

Definitely my favorite jersey in Oregon's history, but the yellow sticks out like a sore thumb in this combo. I love the concept of using a school mascot as direct inspiration for an alternate uniform, but the yellow prevents it from being perfect in my eyes. swap the yellow for white and the black for orange and it's perfect.

• Like 2

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

On 7/26/2022 at 2:03 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Second, I dislike the Bengals' white alt helmet.  It's not on account of the helmet being white, but on account of the goofy stripe design, which  I have always hated.  Indeed, everything the Bengals have worn since 1981 has been varying degrees of awful.  This is the last time they looked like actual adults playing American football:

13 - Ken Riley - Bengals - CB | Bengals cheerleaders, Cincinnati bengals  football, Bengals football   Ken Anderson | Bengals football, Cincinnati bengals football, Bengals  cheerleaders

I've always really liked this original Bengals uniform, too, but not because I think it's particularly good, and certainly not because I think it's better than the 1981 uniforms that came after them.

I appreciate the simplicity of the set. It's as close to a Brand X NFL look as you'll ever get, short of the Browns, which clearly inspired this. I can't put words in Paul Brown's mouth, but I always liked how these sort of suggested "enough with the mascots already, this is about football." 

I bet that if just going by Cincinnati Football Team was an option back then, the Bengals would've gone that route and just left the helmets blank. 

• Like 1

I'd take the Alarm Clocks over the Creamsicles in a heartbeat without blinking.

Creamsicles commit the three cardinal sins
1) Throwback to a losing era
2) Obnoxious bright colors with weak contrast
3) Ridiculous logo

Alarm clocks just had bad numbers

Edited by CaptainEricVGC
incomplete thought
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 3

2 hours ago, CaptainEricVGC said:

Creamsicles commit the three cardinal sins
1) Throwback to a losing era

Do you know how many NFL teams have had "throwbacks to losing eras"? Hell, it hasn't even stopped the Bucs themselves from throwing back to that era before now, anyways.

2) Obnoxious bright colors with weak contrast

Florida's kinda known for bright colors. Besides, this is the same league with multiple teams wearing dark green and black; weak contrast is not a problem exclusive to the Bucs' creamsicles, and I'd argue they actually pull it off extremely well, all things considered, with how they're blocked out.

3) Ridiculous logo

This could go for plenty of logos in sports, though? Like, the Red Sox' logo is literally just a pair of socks. The Orioles use a cartoony smiling bird. Hell, plenty of teams in the NFL just have goddamn letters for logos. "Ridiculous" is a very subjective term, especially when it comes to sports design.

Alarm clocks just had bad numbers

The numbers were NOT the only thing wrong with those dumpster fires of a uniform; basically everything they could have messed up, they messed up. Like, let's actually look at the jerseys the Bucs have worn over the years.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here's the creamsicles. The colors are unusual, sure; but the design is simple, traditional and cohesive; everything has a purpose to it, compliments each other really nicely and flows well. There's a reason this look has endured despite the...less than optimal performance they had while it was in active use.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here's the design they went to after that. It's different, sure, but it still holds to those same ideals; unique color, simple design. My only real qualm is the black on the stripe and the black socks kinda blending into the pewter pants too much, but otherwise this is an extremely solid update to their identity that deservedly has come back to being their main look.

Now look at this.

spacer.png

Besides the awful number font, this whole look just doesn't balance itself well. It's too pewter-heavy, making the orange that has been with the franchise since their inception into literally nothing but a barely-notable accent color.  And the white version is just as terribly-balanced, if not even worse;

spacer.png

Now, instead of too much of a color, there's too little of the team's main color on it. The only red here is on the pants stripe, the NOB and the socks, which makes it look like pewter is their main color and red is their secondary. They're a complete mess.

• Like 8