Unpopular Opinions

Apart from the abhorrent piping, I like Nashville's uniforms. The yellow jersey is really cool.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

488fk.jpg

The above jersey was a true modern classic and the best the Sabres have looked in their 41 year history. the absence of Sabres on the front is irrelevant in my books because there are tons of so called "classic" logos that do not depict the teams namesake.

The Canadiens do not feature a Canadien, The Islanders classic logo does not depict an Islander, etc..

Lastly the Sabres so called "classic" crest is the most overrated logo in the history of the NHL. To be frank, it's awful.

Wrong again, Lights Oot. The side panels are ugly, the color scheme was one red/black team too many for a team that was already so well established as royal blue and gold, the goat head is ugly, and the shoulder yoke going so low as to include the nameplate was a bad idea.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wrong again, Lights Oot. The side panels are ugly, the color scheme was one red/black team too many for a team that was already so well established as royal blue and gold, the goat head is ugly, and the shoulder yoke going so low as to include the nameplate was a bad idea.

Who's Lights Oot?

I thought Lights Out was talking about the Hawks?

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I was with you.

Related, I liked those jerseys, but only because I really liked the 1997-1999 Sabres teams. They're part and parcel of the Hasek era, but that doesn't make them attractive in and of themselves.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Wrong again, Lights Oot. The side panels are ugly a fresh design feature that grounds the jersey without restraining the modern crest, the color scheme was one red/black team too many for a team that was already so well established as royal blue and gold used Red and Black in a completely different way than the other three teams using it at the time, the goat buffalo head is ugly actually looks like it belongs to a Buffalo unlike the non descript blob adorning the "classic" logo, and the shoulder yoke going so low as to include the nameplate was a bad idea a fresh idea that only applied to the road anyways.

Fixed. Im guessing this Lights Out fellow has very good taste in uniforms :P

My intentions were good.

FWIW, I got it immediately... and for the record, even I don't like those hideous Sabres uniforms. The only Sabres set that remotely appeals to me is the Buffaslug set, but that logo is so bad. If they updated the classic Sabres logo (and by that I mean something more sophisticated than just slapping silver outlines on everything), those would have been fantastic modern sweaters.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

500px-Buffalo_Sabres_Logo.svg.png

That's not a "nondescript blob."

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

why did they wrap the entire logo in Saran Wrap?

The original logo is so superior to this one in my opinion. Why couldn't they have just brought it back and be done with it? There seems to be this "thing" that happens when teams bring back old school logos and unis where they feel like they have to over modernize them (refer to: Chargers, Bills, Sabres, etc.) All they had to do was just bring back the old school look un touched and it would have been fine. Take a page from the Beatles and let it be.

The original logo is so superior to this one in my opinion. Why couldn't they have just brought it back and be done with it? There seems to be this "thing" that happens when teams bring back old school logos and unis where they feel like they have to over modernize them (refer to: Chargers, Bills, Sabres, etc.)

Probably because if they did, then people would complain it looks too outdated. And I agree with them, for some retro looks. An old logo occasionally needs to be touched up a little bit if brought back, so that it doesn't look completely out of place.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

The original logo is so superior to this one in my opinion. Why couldn't they have just brought it back and be done with it? There seems to be this "thing" that happens when teams bring back old school logos and unis where they feel like they have to over modernize them (refer to: Chargers, Bills, Sabres, etc.)

Probably because if they did, then people would complain it looks too outdated. And I agree with them, for some retro looks. An old logo occasionally needs to be touched up a little bit if brought back, so that it doesn't look completely out of place.

I do agree with you on the need to be touched up a bit but as I mentioned I think many teams miss the mark on their resurrected logos. I will say that the AZ Cardinals did a great job of that and so did the Seahawks; unfortunately their uniforms weren't as well done.

488fk.jpg

The above jersey was a true modern classic and the best the Sabres have looked in their 41 year history. the absence of Sabres on the front is irrelevant in my books because there are tons of so called "classic" logos that do not depict the teams namesake.

The Canadiens do not feature a Canadien, The Islanders classic logo does not depict an Islander, etc..

Lastly the Sabres so called "classic" crest is the most overrated logo in the history of the NHL. To be frank, it's awful.

I completely agree with the bold text. This jersey and logo has always been my favorite since the first time I seen them.

spacer.png

I could be wrong, but wasn't there something about the old Sabres logo being owned by a different group? Like one group owns the original logo, and the current group can't use that logo exactly as it is or something. Anyone know more or am I misremembering?

That would be interesting...never heard of that. I would say that if it were the case then couldn't the owners of the original logo just sue the new owners because the two logos are pretty much identical?

488fk.jpg

Well firstly I wouldn't consider the Islanders' logo classic at all, but anyway, I do have a problem with that jersey. I love the design and overall look, I just don't get the logo. They're not the Buffalo Buffaloes. We get it, your city is named after an animal, why does the logo have to be that animal, especially when the name of the team is different? The other logos you mentioned at least represent the city and team name.

(Though they're better than the Buffalo Bills, naming the team after the guy who slaughtered thousands of those animals. I think I've said this before.)