Unpopular Opinions

I actually like CBJ. It's catchy.  I never really minded forced three-letter abbreviations or ones that incorporate the nickname. It has to represent the team, so it doesn't necessarily have to only be the location's name.

Perhaps unpopular - I think it's fine the Golden Knights went with "Vegas" instead of "Las Vegas". I guess it's due to the rule of threes - visually, Vegas Golden Knights feels like it has a natural flow. Even though "Las Vegas Athletics" has the same number of syllables as "Las Vegas Golden Knights," it looks better to me. Which is why I still agree that "Vegas Athletics" and "Vegas Raiders" look and sound strange. Since they have one-part nicknames, dropping "Las" is unnecessary.

• Like 4

oBIgzrL.png

As far as forced 3-letter team abbreviations go, we need to point the finger at WB Discovery. TNT started using NOP for the Pelicans, GSW for the Warriors with the 2015 graphics, and eventually NYK for the Knicks some years later on if I recall. Then, last season, TNT starts covering NHL games and continues the same mistakes with teams like the Golden Knights, Rangers, and Kings to name a few.

Thankfully, TBS doesn't do this with MLB as it's just team/cap logos to represent teams instead of abbreviations.

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

On 5/10/2023 at 6:14 PM, TheBigFiz21 said:

As far as forced 3-letter team abbreviations go, we need to point the finger at WB Discovery. TNT started using NOP for the Pelicans, GSW for the Warriors with the 2015 graphics, and eventually NYK for the Knicks some years later on if I recall. Then, last season, TNT starts covering NHL games and continues the same mistakes with teams like the Golden Knights, Rangers, and Kings to name a few.

Thankfully, TBS doesn't do this with MLB as it's just team/cap logos to represent teams instead of abbreviations.

The Knicks themselves used “NYK” in the subway token logo which was introduced in 1995. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I don’t have a consistent rule for name abbreviations, some I like, such as NYK GSW and CBJ, but some I abhor like LAK TBL and especially NOP. 

I actually think the NBA should make an exception and allow the Pelicans to be NOLA. We have the technology now, we can survive with four letters. 

• Like 2

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

On 5/12/2023 at 1:45 PM, Germanshepherd said:

I don’t have a consistent rule for name abbreviations, some I like, such as NYK GSW and CBJ, but some I abhor like LAK TBL and especially NOP. 

I actually think the NBA should make an exception and allow the Pelicans to be NOLA. We have the technology now, we can survive with four letters. 

ESPN already uses UTAH intead of UTA. (as far as I know, they are the only network who does that.)

• 4 weeks later...

I think the Eagles' kelly greens are the most overrated uniforms in football history. this isn't to say they're bad, but they really aren't anything special, and I don't understand this obsession with them. I think the midnight green look is a far more unique one. leave brighter greens to the Jets.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Applause 2

53Ocz8U.png

On 6/15/2023 at 4:58 PM, neo_prankster said:

This is the best that the Anaheim Ducks have ever looked.

Just because sports purists treated the Ducks worse than the Harlem Globetrotters all because of the Disney connections early on was a silly reason for Henry Samueli or Brian Burke to get rid of the original look IMHO.

la-1504038605-0h7dmnjus7-snap-image

171220-_paul-kariya-ducks-ew-540p.jpg

The set with shoulder patches was an upgrade from the original, and the dark jerseys looked better with eggplant helmets rather than black. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dont care said:

The helmets were always eggplant

No, no they weren't. They had black helmets only in 1997-99, and also wore them with the jade alts.  Apparently they only had black pants for those two years too, which looked okay for the alts but was a downgrade for the regular set. (The helmet and pants on Paul Kariya in the pic below are clearly black). 

MightyDucks5.png

1998-99 Upper Deck #211 Johan Davidsson Anaheim Mighty Ducks | eBay

780 Mighty Ducks Paul Kariya Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty  Images

• Like 3

On 6/15/2023 at 1:58 PM, neo_prankster said:

This is the best that the Anaheim Ducks have ever looked.

Just because sports purists treated the Ducks worse than the Harlem Globetrotters all because of the Disney connections early on was a silly reason for Henry Samueli or Brian Burke to get rid of the original look IMHO.

la-1504038605-0h7dmnjus7-snap-image

171220-_paul-kariya-ducks-ew-540p.jpg

This is like the polar opposite of an unpopular opinion. Those uniforms are beloved. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2