Unpopular Opinions

Yep, the Oilers' first Edge look didn't have full stripes.

Oilers21.png

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

These were the best Oilers jerseys of all time.

6d400bfb52adaa32.jpg

I agree that navy and copper look better than their blue and orange, but the red really threw it off.

I don't know why a lot of teams in the 90s felt the need to add red.

Not to mention that the Edge redesign royally FUBAR'd this entire design.

Yeah. Reebok really :censored:ed the Oilers. They made a decent, cool uniform look like complete trash. The worst thing is that the Red Deer Rebels currently wear the exact same template.

Ryan-Nugent-Hopkins-Photo-LeafsChik1967-Flickr.jpg

Yes, that is Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Thats a Blackhawks template, not an Oilers one. The Oilers reebok template had the half-sleeve pyjama striping.

He knows. What he's saying is that the template the Red Deer Rebels used could have also been used to successfully Edge-ify the Oilers' pre-Edge sweaters. That they could do a similar design with Red Deer (complete with the outlines on the middle stripe) but not with Edmonton is a shame.

*winces at sight of Oilers' post-Edge uniforms*

I feel your pain.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The funny part? The team described those uniforms as "Baltimore Ravens-like."

In what way do those emulate the Baltimore Ravens' look?

Umm...let's see here...they both have numbers somewhere on the jersey. Professional athletes play in them. And...uh...they're both made out of fabric.

spacer.png

I agree that navy and copper look better than their blue and orange, but the red really threw it off.

I don't know why a lot of teams in the 90s felt the need to add red.

The red was necessary. Without it, the non metallic application of the copper looks brown.

The funny part? The team described those uniforms as "Baltimore Ravens-like."

In what way do those emulate the Baltimore Ravens' look?

Umm...let's see here...they both have numbers somewhere on the jersey. Professional athletes play in them. And...uh...they're both made out of fabric.

Oh, and don't forget that neither team used Green, Yellow, or pink on the uniform..... Lot of similarities, eh?

The first time I saw the Oilers Edge Uni's I thought they were designed by a Flames fan... Seriously, no Oilers fan could consciously make the team look that bad right?

Heres an Unpopular opinion....

kings98.jpg

This was the best set in Kings History. This team has never won a cup... so why must they throwback to an inferior design?

The first time I saw the Oilers Edge Uni's I thought they were designed by a Flames fan... Seriously, no Oilers fan could consciously make the team look that bad right?

kings98.jpg

This was the best set in Kings History. This team has never won a cup... so why must they throwback to an inferior design?

Yes, a million times yes.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

kings98.jpg

This guy would like to take issue with that assessment:

wayne-gretzky-kings.jpg

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

kings98.jpg

These were really good looks. I like the unorthodox "Los Angeles" across the bottom, and the use of color is great. It's too bad the Kings and Ducks both currently have the worst looks in their history now.

On 2/25/2012 at 9:24 AM, bigbean24 said:

These were the best Oilers jerseys of all time.

I absolutely agree. This was a great update. I wish they'd kept this through to today. But of course they decided to come out with practice jerseys for edge update, which probably hastened the desire to go back to the old.

On 2/26/2012 at 8:44 AM, Lights Out said:

These guys are just glad they aren't wearing those ugly wannabe-Raiders sweaters:

This is one of my top 10 all time NHL jerseys; maybe even top 5.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

These were really good looks. I like the unorthodox "Los Angeles" across the bottom, and the use of color is great. It's too bad the Kings and Ducks both currently have the worst looks in their history now.

Yep

The Ducks set is the epitome of bland while L.A's doesn't even match. If the Kings adjusted their Black jersey to match the white home (add hem stripes) it'd be a massive improvement.

These guys are just glad they aren't wearing those ugly wannabe-Raiders sweaters:

CMT1987.jpg

marceldionne_display_image.jpg

So wannabe-Lakers sweaters are better? The Kings have never had a look that they truly "owned." The purple and gold looked like the Lakers. The black and silver looked like the Raiders. The purple, black, and silver, while a nice attempt to combine both past eras, looked like a hockey version of the Sacramento Kings' look.

If any team should "scrap it all and start over" it's the Los Angeles Kings. They have no championships that immortalize any of their past looks, looks which always echoed those of other teams. Truly taking time to devise a scheme that doesn't belong to another team would be to their advantage in the long run. Seeing as they probably won't do that, though, they might as well go with one of their past schemes. Seeing as the team was its most relevant with Gretzky they might as well try to own black and silver in the NHL.