Unpopular Opinions

As a little leaguer I wore long pants because that's how Barry Larkin wore his pants. In high school I always found long pants more comfortable because you didn't have that elastic gripping your lower knee, and you got more padding on your lower legs when sliding. Also, my legs are some of the hairiest I've ever seen on a human being and pulling socks up over this hair is very uncomfortable. Long pants allowed me to hide the fact that I had my socks pushed down.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I tried wearing high socks this year and I love it. I feel more like a baseball player now. It's pretty cool.

The best part is he's not even on the team!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7238524654_1474079c45_z.jpg

For the sake of curiosity, is it the angle of the picture or is he missing his right hand? If so, does he bat with a prosthetic and how effective is that for him? I have always been amazed by those that compete with them. I was at a Dunhams sports a few weeks back and met an Iraq War veteran that lost both legs just above the knee and both arms above the elbow and he was fitted with the blade prosthetic (the upside down question mark) for a marathon he was competing for. Just wondering.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I tried wearing high socks this year and I love it. I feel more like a baseball player now. It's pretty cool.

The best part is he's not even on the team!

What are you talking about? If you're talking about me, you are mistaken because I do play baseball.

He was making a joke.

I personally like the look of high socks better. Of course, I'm a huge hypocrite because I wear my baseball pants like pajamas. (You bet they're more comfortable)

swinging.jpg

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

For the sake of curiosity, is it the angle of the picture or is he missing his right hand? If so, does he bat with a prosthetic and how effective is that for him? I have always been amazed by those that compete with them. I was at a Dunhams sports a few weeks back and met an Iraq War veteran that lost both legs just above the knee and both arms above the elbow and he was fitted with the blade prosthetic (the upside down question mark) for a marathon he was competing for. Just wondering.

He is. He doesn't wear a prosthetic for softball; he bats one-handed and transfers his glove off his hand to throw the ball. I don't know if he has one he uses elsewise, but I've never seen him with one. He's a pretty good player for our level.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I wear my pants high, but my problem is that because my legs are dis-proportionately short for my body, my Nike size S pants are way too long, so when I blouse them up, there's a whooooole lot of rolling that takes place, which basically creates a tourniquet-effect just below my knee.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Jays.jpg

I'm not going to say it's the best Jays uniform ever, but I do feel it's a little underappreciated. If not for the whole "Blue" Jays part of the team nickname, I think this was a solid look. I really like the font.

This. It was actually a pretty good jersey, but it just didn't work because it was the Blue Jays. If that was for some 2008 Toronto expansion team, it probably would've gotten a lot more love.

Regarding socks, I personally prefer them high because they add more colour in the uniform and can really help in terms of colour balance. When I used to play baseball, I only wore my socks high during rallies (that was because I didn't really care about uniforms, not because of comfort or lack thereof). I stopped playing a few years ago, and I'm kicking myself for not keeping a pair of socks in hopes that one day I'll join a rec softball league for the unathletic (I know they're not that hard to find, but still).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Stirrups aren't that awesome.

Agreed 8000%. When they went from stirrups to solid socks/long pants, I didn't shed a tear.

I emphatically agree. They serve absolutely no purpose and they look silly. They're a relic from the past and once we figured out how not to use poisonous dyes, stirrups should've been discontinued forever. They looked especially dumb in the 70's and 80's when they kept getting taller and taller and all you'd see was a skinny stripe of color on otherwise white socks.

Here's another unpopular opinion: I hate the knickered baseball pants look. Wear your pants to your shoes like an adult male. I don't like the dumb baggy pants look either, but this

bronson-arroyo-mets-rumors.jpg

looks better than this

leake.png

Get rid of the stirrups (I've always thought they looked awkward with that little bit of white at the bottom) and that Reds uniform is my favorite look in baseball.

I really think it just depends on the uniform for the pants/socks thing. For example, That Reds jersey above looks fantastic with the socks showing, but the Yankees pinstripes look awful when the socks are shown.

derek-jeter-alex-rodriguez_0.jpg

Jeter has it right. A-Rod does not.

Side Note: The Jumpman logo looks stupid on baseball gear.

Manchester-City-icon.png

I wear my pants high, but my problem is that because my legs are dis-proportionately short for my body, my Nike size S pants are way too long, so when I blouse them up, there's a whooooole lot of rolling that takes place, which basically creates a tourniquet-effect just below my knee.

Well that explains quite a bit.

But I'm with the other poster, I prefered the black and blue Jays unis much more than their current newold look. I'm so sick and tired of the lack of creativity in pro sports. If a team does make a new design, it ends up looking like :censored: (Marlins, Lightning, Rays) and other teams just keep going back (Oilers, Blue Jays, Islanders).

The Blue Jays and Isles and some other teams did make minimal changes to their throwback look, but it's still just laziness I feel. I'm not a huge fan of the throwback trend. Bring them back for a game where you are honoring old players or a special event, but not as a full time uni or even full time 3rd.

2ly2w09.jpg

He is. He doesn't wear a prosthetic for softball; he bats one-handed and transfers his glove off his hand to throw the ball. I don't know if he has one he uses elsewise, but I've never seen him with one. He's a pretty good player for our level.

Similar to Jim Abbott?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

In "competitive" softball leagues, pants are pretty much a requirement, due to the enforcement of sliding rules and the need to slide. In rec or co-ed leagues, I find that it doesn't really matter since people don't always go all-out and slide unless it's 100% necessary.

I don't slide much (and it's hilarious when I do), but there have been times in the past I've tripped or other such shenanigans and have gotten cut up a bit on what passes for dirt on our infields. Even with the pants it's still possible; yesterday, the third baseman on one of the teams we played ripped the knee of his tracksuit pants (or whatever they're called) trying to play a grounder.

I play in a coed league and wear pants (and striped stirrups). I wore shorts with high socks all last season, but after going through 2 big bottles of peroxide and a bunch of gauze, I opted to wear pants for this season. It totally sucked to have to wrap my knee up with gauze every day so my knee wouldn't ooze through my khakis at work :D

I'm torn on stirrups, really. What Mockba posted is fine. I hate the ones with the really big opening (i.e. showing a lot of sock underneath).

Similar to Jim Abbott?

Yeah! a Jim Abbot refrence! My fave disabled player.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

I am in-between on stirrups. I think the '70s and '80s stirrups pulled really high looked silly, but I also think it looked bad when they are worn very low so an inch or two of the sanitary socks show. If players are going to wear stirrups, I think there should be four to five inches of sock showing underneath.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The ball-in-glove is a fantastic logo, but the current Brewers identity is much more fitting for the name.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The ball-in-glove is a fantastic logo, but the current Brewers identity is much more fitting for the name.

too bad they cant combine the eras together..... wait a minute! they can and should.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.