Unpopular Opinions

I forgot about the shamrock logo though, that one is a good look, and I personally would like to see that, or something similar to that become their become their primary logo.

Uh, no. The Celtics logo is a classic, it doesn't need replacing.

Oh please. It's a poorly rendered, childish cartoon. The shamrock logo is a classy, iconic representation of the team name.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I forgot about the shamrock logo though, that one is a good look, and I personally would like to see that, or something similar to that become their become their primary logo.

Oh please. It's a poorly rendered, childish cartoon. The shamrock logo is a classy, iconic representation of the team name.

Exactly even when I was a kid I always thought it was kind of lame and cartoonish looking.

Exactly even when I was a kid I always thought it was kind of lame and cartoonish looking.

How could you have hated cartoons then?

Then there's the strange case of the Rangers, who came out of the Ameriquest fiasco going from the oddly specific yet unspecific "The Ballpark In Arlington" to the more contrived "Rangers Ballpark In Arlington," as if there were other ballparks in Arlington to challenge the Rangers' fallacious employment of the definite article. Couldn't have just gone all the way back, huh.

From what I've always been told, "Rangers Ballpark in Arlington" was a holder for a company so they could re-sell the naming rights. As soon as they had the ink dry, it would change to "[iNSERT COMPANY NAME HERE] Ballpark in Arlington." The markets didn't work in their favor though, and so it remains.

Even Wrigley Field is corporately sponsored.

bzzzt

I know what he's trying to say about Nationals Park and Marlins Park, though. They do just sound like mere placeholders. You'd expect such massive and modern structures to have names of their own, not just "(Team Name) Park," especially considering these massive engines of commerce aren't terribly parklike. Yankee Stadium works because we're used to it and because it uses the singular instead of the plural (not that Marlin Park would be much better). "Capital Diamond" is my preference for the Nationals' park, rather than, well, Nationals Park. I don't have one for Miami.

Then there's the strange case of the Rangers, who came out of the Ameriquest fiasco going from the oddly specific yet unspecific "The Ballpark In Arlington" to the more contrived "Rangers Ballpark In Arlington," as if there were other ballparks in Arlington to challenge the Rangers' fallacious employment of the definite article. Couldn't have just gone all the way back, huh.

I'd like them to name it after someone like they used to do sometimes...an owner, or whoever. But I guess that's a bad idea because it looks bad to take the honor away once naming rights are sold.

I do like your "Capital Diamond" idea. Even if it's a placeholder, it does not have to sound like one for the interim. As for Nationals/Marlins Park, I am OK with the "s" on the end. We used to have "Royals Stadium" and I never had a problem with that. I think it's the "Park" part that bugs me. "Marlins Stadium" and "Nationals Stadium" sound better to me. I'd be all for those names if I really thought the intent was to keep 'em.

They aren't stadiums, they're ballparks. An important distinction for teams who were previously in Football Stadiums. Maybe Marlins/Nationals Field would be acceptable, but Marlins/Nationals Stadium? No, thanks. The only way I could see renaming Marlins park might be for Carl Barger (Barger Park, Barger Field, etc.), since he brought baseball to Miami and they took away the previous honor of retiring the #5.

Even Wrigley Field is corporately sponsored.

bzzzt

I know what he's trying to say about Nationals Park and Marlins Park, though. They do just sound like mere placeholders. You'd expect such massive and modern structures to have names of their own, not just "(Team Name) Park," especially considering these massive engines of commerce aren't terribly parklike. Yankee Stadium works because we're used to it

Pretty much that.

If it weren't for the Baltimore Orioles playing in Camden Yards, I would love for Nationals Park to be renamed Navy Yard Stadium.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I don't think I've brought this up, but I think white uniform-white pants in football is way too plain. I absolutely can't stand, for instance, when the Jets wear their white pants on the road rather than the green. Give me some color with the pants choice rather than an all-white look

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Kelly Green almost always looks awful. Forest green is miles ahead of kelly in terms of how they look on field/court/ice

Wrong! Kelly green looks great on the Celtics, the Canucks and looked way better on the Dallas Stars when they used to use it. Not too mention the North Stars... some of the greatest jerseys ever to see the ice

I don't think I've brought this up, but I think white uniform-white pants in football is way too plain. I absolutely can't stand, for instance, when the Jets wear their white pants on the road rather than the green. Give me some color with the pants choice rather than an all-white look

I think it looks good with a colored helmet but for teams with white helmets, I agree that it looks way too plain.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Kelly Green almost always looks awful. Forest green is miles ahead of kelly in terms of how they look on field/court/ice

Wrong! Kelly green looks great on the Celtics, the Canucks and looked way better on the Dallas Stars when they used to use it. Not too mention the North Stars... some of the greatest jerseys ever to see the ice

His opinion...

Despite my username, I'm actually not HUGE on Kelly Green, my love is for dark green. Kelly Green generally only works for me as a secondary (Celtics being a rare exception), which is why for example the Canucks homes are 1000x times better than their roads to me.

For example, I love the A's current identity, but the original Kelly Green and gold looked borderline awful together.

1985 1989 1991 1992 1993

Time to raise a banner in my lifetime boys!

His opinion...

Despite my username, I'm actually not HUGE on Kelly Green, my love is for dark green. Kelly Green generally only works for me as a secondary (Celtics being a rare exception), which is why for example the Canucks homes are 1000x times better than their roads to me.

For example, I love the A's current identity, but the original Kelly Green and gold looked borderline awful together.

I'm fine overall with Kelly green for the C's, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing them move towards a forest green, or maybe even a shade similar to the Eagle's Midnight green.

The Eagles too... I don't like the silver wings on the helmet, but the jerseys are awesome IMO.

It really annoys me when people post to this thread saying that they like/dislike something and someone else gives the opposite opinion. It's called the unpopular opinions thread for a reason.

It really annoys me when people post to this thread saying that they like/dislike something and someone else gives the opposite opinion. It's called the unpopular opinions thread for a reason.

I think the complete lack of notable NHL jersey news made me momentarily forget which thread I was posting in, my bad. Heres one though...

penguins24.png

Best set in Pens history.

i was never too fond of any of the black sweaters they wore in that era, but the white jersey is absolutely gorgeous and flawless. i almost bought a kasparaitis one a few years back, despite my intense hatred of that franchise. that's how much i love that sweater (and kaspar).