USBA Concepts (My Personal Basketball League)

Phitin

Team #4: Detroit Rhinos

detroitlogo.png

detroituni.png

This concept was both fun and challenging. The challenging part was mostly due to the script, which was hard to develop into something good-looking. I wanted to go with something a little less straight and traditional for this script, to go along with a name like "Rhinos." As for the colors, I knew I wanted silver as one of the primary colors, for the rhino skin. Then I had to decide what color to use as the outline. I ended up with purple because I'm trying to use a lot of different colors for this concept league, and I hadn't gone with purple yet. Almost went with red as the third color, but purple and orange look good together IMO.

phitinsig.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Team #5: Arizona Thunderbirds

arizonalogo.png

arizonauni.png

I have to say this is definitely my favorite concept so far, but it sure was tough to bring together. The script went through a couple iterations before I came up with what you see above. At first all I had was a plain bird with a "lightning bolt" tail, on top of a wordmark which was very plain. Then I had the idea to add the red and yellow stripes from the Arizona flag behind the thunderbird, and I really think it spruced up the logo quite a bit. The jerseys feature a pretty modern striping pattern, while the alternate is more traditional with a triple stripe. All in all, I think I'm getting way better at these concepts as I go along, which was the main point at the start.

phitinsig.png

That secondary looks like HLT. Ham, Lettuce, and Tomato, I'm guessing? Also, I'd go with a less greenish yellow, and go for more of a golden yellow.

Yeah, that alternate logo needs some major adjustments. It just looks like a bunch of lines smooshed together. Otherwise, good work.

25yzwqg.png

That secondary looks like HLT. Ham, Lettuce, and Tomato, I'm guessing? Also, I'd go with a less greenish yellow, and go for more of a golden yellow.

I get what you mean with the secondary, probably will fix that later although I'm more concerned with adjusting the primary if need be. As for the color, I don't see that as being anywhere close to green, but then again I'm colorblind.

Also, the bird looks like it's saying "WHAT!" to some punk he just owned. Maybe have him facing front?

Not really seeing it. To me, he's just hovering.

phitinsig.png

I get what you mean with the secondary, probably will fix that later although I'm more concerned with adjusting the primary if need be. As for the color, I don't see that as being anywhere close to green, but then again I'm colorblind.

I'm assuming he's talking about the greenish 'tint' the yellow has, and I agree with him.

I think this looks like a great start, but for this to become a better piece, I would scrap everything except the script. The bird isn't rendered well (you've got random shading and strokes and honestly, doesn't look well at all), so I'd go back and try to take another whack at it, probably with a reference.

I do love the script though. Excellent work on that.

Your uniforms are a little sloppy as well. The wordmark and number are way too low on the front, I think you could pull off placing the wordmark just under the collar as long as you scale it own, I think it'd be better off that way. The number can be scaled down as well, and either moved to the left or right (it just doesn't look professional, but it's your league). You could move up the NOB just the same, and the number on the back can be scaled down alot, it's huge right now.

Other than those few personal nitpicks, it's not bad.

I'm assuming he's talking about the greenish 'tint' the yellow has, and I agree with him.

I think this looks like a great start, but for this to become a better piece, I would scrap everything except the script. The bird isn't rendered well (you've got random shading and strokes and honestly, doesn't look well at all), so I'd go back and try to take another whack at it, probably with a reference.

I do love the script though. Excellent work on that.

Your uniforms are a little sloppy as well. The wordmark and number are way too low on the front, I think you could pull off placing the wordmark just under the collar as long as you scale it own, I think it'd be better off that way. The number can be scaled down as well, and either moved to the left or right (it just doesn't look professional, but it's your league). You could move up the NOB just the same, and the number on the back can be scaled down alot, it's huge right now.

Other than those few personal nitpicks, it's not bad.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably take a lot of time to revamp this one, especially with a new yellow. While I'm on that subject, I think I need someone to tell me I'm using the right color before I go ahead a post another one! I argue with colors of things with my friends all the time. I'm guess I'll redo the bird with it facing forward this time. The reference picture I used was a hawk hovering above ground, so that's why he's in that pose now.

phitinsig.png

arizonalogo2.png

Well I made another attempt at the Thunderbirds logo. I'm leaving for college tomorrow and I've been really busy lately, which is the reason I didn't change the jerseys of secondary logo yet. I'll do them in my free time, as I know they need work, but for now I wanted to post this before I leave. So, did I do better on this try? Upgrade? Downgrade? I'm sure there's a few things I need to change once again, but before I go any further, I'd like some C&C.

phitinsig.png

Well I made another attempt at the Thunderbirds logo. I'm leaving for college tomorrow and I've been really busy lately, which is the reason I didn't change the jerseys of secondary logo yet. I'll do them in my free time, as I know they need work, but for now I wanted to post this before I leave. So, did I do better on this try? Upgrade? Downgrade? I'm sure there's a few things I need to change once again, but before I go any further, I'd like some C&C.

I think this circular theme you've been working with is successful. The vultures logo stuck out to me the most of these so far because it was the least circular, but I'm glad you have changed the Thunderbirds one to match it somewhat. Text looks better this time around, though I think because the white and your choice of yellow are both rather intense, the 'stripe' through the text messes with my eyes a bit. Somehow you might try ways to compensate for that, since the lightning-bolt zigzags in the letterforms themselves work well. Maybe a deeper gold to offset the pure white?

I also think you could do without the sun rays behind the bird. I'm getting a Japanese sun flag feel... yellow would do just fine, and would draw attention to the bird, which looks great. VERY nice touch-up on this one!

OhioBobcatsSquareSig.pngPittSquareSig2.pngOregonStateVintageSquareSig.pngve26tk.png

Images thanks to TornadoGTS

Excellent work here, Phitin; I'm impressed. My onkly real nitpick is the swirl affect going on under the left (his right) wing, my eye immediately draws towards it, and the whole thing looks a bit irrelevant. You've got nice flowing curves in the wings until you get to the middle. Either round it out or drop it altogether.

Other than that, solid work here. Again, that wordmark is pretty slick.

Team #5: Arizona Thunderbirds Revamp

arizonalogoset.png

arizonahome.png

arizonaaway.png

arizonaalt.png

So, this one has obviously come a long way. The suggestions that people gave me were very helpful, as I think this looks way better now. Since the last logo update, I fixed the "swirl" going on in the wing a little so that it would be a little less distracting. I also fixed the striping, positioning, and coloring of the uniforms so that they would flow a lot better. Probably won't change this one anymore as I feel I have something strong now. I'm in school now, so these may not be getting done so easily, but I'd like to keep going in my free time. C&C is of course appreciated.

phitinsig.png

leaguelogof.png

I had some free time away from schoolwork, so I went ahead and made an official logo for my league, which is now named the United States Basketball Association (USBA). I'm happy with how this turned out as I had a specific image in my mind for the past few days of what I wanted it to look like.

phitinsig.png

Archived