Kansas City Wizards Rebranded as Sporting KC

Ben7

So of the 3 new jerseys for next year, we've seen 2, the Whitecaps and KC. Anyone know when Portland is introducing theirs?

The Colorado Rapids are getting new kits as well...so far according to the team store at the stadium, they're getting rid of the light blue away kits, going with white away kits and getting rid of the collars.

That is horrible! Colorado's blue as the clash kit was easily my favorite.

Side note: why do we keep saying "European names" in reference to the "FC"s, "Real"s and, "United"s. Last time I checked these types of names are used all over the world, like Real Madrid, Atlante FC or, FC Twente

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So of the 3 new jerseys for next year, we've seen 2, the Whitecaps and KC. Anyone know when Portland is introducing theirs?

The Colorado Rapids are getting new kits as well...so far according to the team store at the stadium, they're getting rid of the light blue away kits, going with white away kits and getting rid of the collars.

Side note: why do we keep saying "European names" in reference to the "FC"s, "Real"s and, "United"s. Last time I checked these types of names are used all over the world, like Real Madrid, Atlante FC or, FC Twente

Considering 2/3 of the teams you just named are based in Europe, that proves the point of the use of the term "European names". It's where the style of naming originated and even for Atlante, the language is Euro-based as well.

Considering 2/3 of the teams you just named are based in Europe, that proves the point of the use of the term "European names". It's where the style of naming originated and even for Atlante, the language is Euro-based as well.

He should have cited teams like FC Tokyo, FC Seoul, Gwangju FC, Changchun Yatai FC, Shandong Luneng Taishan FC as examples of non-European teams in countries that don't have "Euro-based languages." Euro-based languages is not a meaningful limitation, because covers all of the world except Asia and parts of Africa.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Whatever. I'm sorry my examples weren't great but the point remains it's not exclusive to Europe.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Saw this posted on BigSoccer

1095403777o7ng5m1.jpg

The primary kit has a single-needle stitch of the state line running through the badge and down the jersey. It's really cool.

The alternate kit (shown here) has the filigree of the SC running in the state line shape running down the jersey.

Kit isn't bad, but the mark doesn't make Kansas City prominent at all and it's ugly to boot.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/19/2452997/making-their-mark-the-aesthetics.html

"On the right side of the mark is the most-talked about piece of the new crest: The ?SC? ligature -- which some have equated to snakes involved in a romantic entanglement.*

*The SC, by the way, stands for ?Sporting Club.? The soccer team is called ?Sporting Kansas City,? and the parent group is ?Sporting Club.? Why no ?KC?? ? According to Heineman: ?Just another KC? That?s the Royals deal, the Chiefs deal.? In other words, they weren?t going to figuratively ?own? that type of brand."

I get that. Look how many New York teams use "NY" in their logos: Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Islanders. That's why the Knicks have a "BT" monogram, for "Basketball Team." Can't say they don't own it!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Saw this posted on BigSoccer

1095403777o7ng5m1.jpg

The primary kit has a single-needle stitch of the state line running through the badge and down the jersey. It's really cool.

The alternate kit (shown here) has the filigree of the SC running in the state line shape running down the jersey.

They are really harping on the state line thing.

That movie depicts Kansas as a backward, dusty, black and white bore. It's simply not.

The film was set during the Great Depression. Kansas, as well as the rest of the midwest, was a dusty, depressing bore back then. The Dust Bowl ring any bells?

The funny thing is, most of the time the franchise was in Missouri. There is NO community connection.

The team is now located in Kansas City, Kansas, not Kansas City, Missouri. There IS a community connection. Even when they were in KC, Missouri the Name "Kansas City" still resonates "Kansas" with your average fan, thus the Wizard of Oz name STILL worked.

Yes the team had history with the name, so what. They still embrace it.

No they don't. They've completely abandoned it.

As you can see I'm warming to it and don't care what non-fans think.

Fair enough. We're still allowed to ridicule the team for what we see as a poor decision though.

As bad as the name change is, it would have been easier to accept if the new crest was any good. Instead it's an aesthetic mess.

There is a bigger picture as far as this club is concerned now and i'm on board.

Bigger picture? Buying into the buzz word-filled explanation already, eh?

Just out of curiosity, what is this "bigger picture" you're on board with?

Even when they were in KC, Missouri the Name "Kansas City" still resonates "Kansas" with your average fan

If this is true, we Americans are even suckier at geography than I'd feared. I learned that the main Kansas City was actually in Missouri when I was, I don't know, like 3. I think it was mentioned in The Brave Little Toaster.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Even when they were in KC, Missouri the Name "Kansas City" still resonates "Kansas" with your average fan

If this is true, we Americans are even suckier at geography than I'd feared. I learned that the main Kansas City was actually in Missouri when I was, I don't know, like 3. I think it was mentioned in The Brave Little Toaster.

It's what I was always taught as well. And as a sports fan, the Chiefs and Royals being in the Missouri part only sealed that thinking.

Given the statistics I've heard regarding Americans and geographical awareness, I'd venture to guess that you're, sadly, in the minority.

I'm with those who say this was a missed opportunity. The Wizards was a stupid name and they had an ugly logo, but I feel like they were too careful with the re-branding. They made it as bland as possible in an attempt to offend the least amount of people. The most striking feature of this logo is its blandness. Couldn't they have a) made something cool, B) make something non-offensive, but well designed, c) take a chance?

There are about four hundred North American professional sports teams with blue on blue uniforms. Yeah, it looks good when done right, but maybe a green, yellow, purple, pink or brown scheme would make it stand out. Would Palermo fans want to switch their pinks to modern and more masculine blue on blues? Hell no, they are the pink team.

What I'm least concerned about is 'the great loss of tradition'. 14 years, come on! That's nothing. European sports fans despise teams that are younger than 50 years. And the fans of those teams. "Hey, you are supporting a piece plastic! Come back when you have some traditions". 14 years in a developing league as a team with sucky identity. The MLS is finally getting some traction and this is the right time to re-brand if you are ever going to.

But please, re-brand with a purpose.

Archived