Kansas City Wizards Rebranded as Sporting KC

Ben7

Well I should clarify. Now that they've won a MLS Cup I think the name's here to stay. I'm not sure that changing it at this point would be a good idea. I'm just saying that if I was calling the shots I would have gone with Salt Lake Royals or Royal Salt Lake from day one. What's done is done, though.

Or they could just get an endorsement from the King of Spain. That would solve the problem :P

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, I like that "Wizards" actually has meaning in the way it is used for Kansas City. I don't mind the name being used for that reason. If you know the meaning, it's actually really neat.

Well, if we're talking about meaning, and if the Wizards are going to rebrand then Kansas City Blues has a nice sound to it...in more ways than one:

http://www.kckstreetbluesfest.com/

Nice. I think it's a unique name/reference and fits the team even better now that they actually play on the Kansas side of Kansas City.

Being a Kansan, and dealing with Dorothy jokes most of my life, has made me wonder why more Wizard of Oz references aren't associated with Seattle than Kansas. Seattle is the Emerald City and through the whole movie the characters are trying to reach the Emerald City. The famous line even states that the Dorothy is NOT in Kansas. Just an observation. I suppose I should save it for the Judy Garland board I frequent.

This is a sticky point as how do you rebrand when you are playing in the state that would most identify with the 'Wizards' tag and all that it entails?

The MLS has a Red team (RBNY ...no one else counts)

Not that this is worth debating, but if anyone 'counts' it's Chicago, who's been all-red since the beginning (12 years), much longer than any other current primarily red team in the league. (Toronto, RSL, New York, possibly CD Chivas)

In my mind, all the Wizards need to do is find a shirt sponsor and put the rainbow ball back on top of the crest.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I can't see them changing their name. That period where teams in MLS changed to a more European style name is done. (I'm obviously not referring to new/expansion clubs. I mean established clubs).

They do need a serious crest update though. Just a word mark is plain boring.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Well I should clarify. Now that they've won a MLS Cup I think the name's here to stay. I'm not sure that changing it at this point would be a good idea. I'm just saying that if I was calling the shots I would have gone with Salt Lake Royals or Royal Salt Lake from day one. What's done is done, though.

Or they could just get an endorsement from the King of Spain. That would solve the problem :P

Ohh I see what you mean now. My bad haha :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The MLS has a Red team (RBNY ...no one else counts) an Orange team (HOU), a Blue team (Gals), a Forest Green team (POR), a Puke Green team (SEA), a Piss Yellow team (CLB), an Aston Villa team (COL), a fake team (RSL), and a team with no supporters (FCD).

But the MLS has NO Purple team.

KC - please fill the void please. We don't need anymore reds or blues...

I have been thinking this for years now...however I dont want KC to be the first to take purple. They already had a unique identity with the rainbow...unfortunately it was way overdone.

I agree though, a future expansion club needs to grab purple...(hopefully a PHX MLS team *wishful thinking*).

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

With the Wizards never being a major draw within the town and the lack of a major supporters group. They do have some but not the likes of Sons of Ben, Section 8 or ECS - I believe a rebrand is necessary. Perfect time for it. As for the uniforms and colors go I do think they have one of the best uniforms in the league but are in desperate need of a shirt sponsor.

As for potential names I am all in favor of K.C. Athletic, KC Wanderers, or KC Rovers.

Now only if the Crew & Revolution would jump into the fray we could actually move forward and establish the league as a whole internationally. Long been a fan of

Revolution 1776 as a rebrand.

For RSL - initially i was not a fan of the name but as the team has progressed within the city - and while the opposing competitions fans might not be in favor of the name - the SL community have embraced it and as long as they continue to draw ~ 19K - I find it hard to believe a change is in the future.

The Crew is unique and the Revolution is as well. You can be an international league without pandering to the rest of the world by changing your name. Using other people's argument, Columbus can't change because they won the MLS Cup in '08.

I should clarify w/ regards to the crew. The name isn't what is wrong but they are in desperate need of a new crest. It is time they get rid of the village people logo and adopt a proper badge.

Revolution are a complete mess. A logo from 1982 and uninspiring owner. Rebrand necessary, SSS necessary, new owner necessary. As I stated above: I am in love with

Revolution 1776.

• 2 months later...

n/m - just saw the gray text.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

With the Wizards never being a major draw within the town and the lack of a major supporters group. They do have some but not the likes of Sons of Ben, Section 8 or ECS -

I have to say that the Hillcrest Syndicate, Southern Voodoo, Yardbirds, etc. would take offense to your rather dismissive attitude towards them.

As for potential names I am all in favor of K.C. Athletic, KC Wanderers, or KC Rovers.

There's no need to abandon the Kansas City Wizards name. The franchise is an MLS Cup-winning side founded by Lamar Hunt, one of the seminal figures in the history of American professional soccer. Changing the team's name would needlessly abandon that heritage.

And if the team were to go the Euro-poser route when it came to a rebrand, there would really be only one acceptable name: Heart of America SC.

Long been a fan of Revolution 1776 as a rebrand.

Completely unnecessary. There's nothing wrong with New England Revolution as the franchise's name. What the franchise desperately needs is a new logo.

has made me wonder why more Wizard of Oz references aren't associated with Seattle than Kansas. Seattle is the Emerald City and through the whole movie the characters are trying to reach the Emerald City. The famous line even states that the Dorothy is NOT in Kansas. Just an observation. I suppose I should save it for the Judy Garland board I frequent.

It was done once, the Land of Boz...

DSC08220.JPG

Also, I really like the concept that Chief did. If only some Wizards exec frequented this board.

Well, let's just say that if there was going to be a rebrand, the work would have already been done and finalized long ago.

I can't see them changing their name. That period where teams in MLS changed to a more European style name is done. (I'm obviously not referring to new/expansion clubs. I mean established clubs).

They do need a serious crest update though. Just a word mark is plain boring.

Blind speculation rarely works out well for anyone involved.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived