Kansas City Wizards Rebranded as Sporting KC

Ben7

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kansas City's Major League Soccer franchise won an MLS Cup Championship, the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup and a Supporters Shield under the Wizards banner. Why abandon that tradition?

So many "die-hard football supporters" deride American professional soccer for being bereft of "tradition", yet they'll quickly applaud a charter MLS franchise abandoning the identity it has sported for 14 years in favor of adopting a Eurocentric/International-style team name that is bereft of history in the marketplace.

Mind-numbingly stupid.

So what other sports are going to be under the aegis of "Sporting Kansas City?" Basketball, American Football, Hockey, and Baseball are out for various reasons and nobody gives a :censored: about track, swimming, and wrestling in non-Olympic years. Quidditch? Is Sporting Kansas City going to have quidditch as one of its other sports?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So what other sports are going to be under the aegis of "Sporting Kansas City?" Basketball, American Football, Hockey, and Baseball are out for various reasons and nobody gives a :censored: about track, swimming, and wrestling in non-Olympic years. Quidditch? Is Sporting Kansas City going to have quidditch as one of its other sports?

I read somewhere that the ownership is looking to invest in one of those Semi-Pro Rugby teams that run in the US.

While it is a very odd name, it is far superior to the Wizards. Ongoal rescued the wizards from possible relocation years ago, and has actually brought enthusiasm to the once beleaguered franchise. If their intent is to develop a sports model with multiple teams in different sports operating under the Sporting KC banner I do not have a problem with it at all. I am sure MLS brass was consulted on the manner, and under the Garber Regime things are actually looking promising for the league as a whole. Soccer/Football is an international phenomenon and when a british announcer says that Manchester United is playing the Kansas City Wizards, it diminishes the leagues already weak reputation internationally.....

While I am not in love with the name and would have preferred Kansas City Athletic or United, it is a step in the right direction. I am hopeful that they do not reveal a cartoon crest a?la the timbers and actually keep in step with the direction of the league. Ongoal appears to have some understanding of classic football branding, and should not go down the same path as Moneybags Paulson did with Portland. If KC is smart they will choose a local graphic designer or the same one that the Union employed. If they go down the route of consulting with a small mississippi firm thats in the practice of designing cartoon logos I would be amazed.......

While it is a very odd name, it is far superior to the Wizards. Ongoal rescued the wizards from possible relocation years ago, and has actually brought enthusiasm to the once beleaguered franchise. If their intent is to develop a sports model with multiple teams in different sports operating under the Sporting KC banner I do not have a problem with it at all. I am sure MLS brass was consulted on the manner, and under the Garber Regime things are actually looking promising for the league as a whole. Soccer/Football is an international phenomenon and when a british announcer says that Manchester United is playing the Kansas City Wizards, it diminishes the leagues already weak reputation internationally.....

While I am not in love with the name and would have preferred Kansas City Athletic or United, it is a step in the right direction. I am hopeful that they do not reveal a cartoon crest a?la the timbers and actually keep in step with the direction of the league. Ongoal appears to have some understanding of classic football branding, and should not go down the same path as Moneybags Paulson did with Portland. If KC is smart they will choose a local graphic designer or the same one that the Union employed. If they go down the route of consulting with a small mississippi firm thats in the practice of designing cartoon logos I would be amazed.......

Manchester plays in a league that had one team be owned by a fictitious person last year. If that league thinks the less of us because of what we name our teams, so friggin' what.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Manchester plays in a league that had one team be owned by a fictitious person last year. If that league thinks the less of us because of what we name our teams, so friggin' what.

Not to play on semantics but a lot of teams are owned by fictional entities - corporations.

You must not be a soccer fan based on the response. Better respect = better competition = better players = greater on field product.

Not to play on semantics but a lot of teams are owned by fictional entities - corporations.

You must not be a soccer fan based on the response. Better respect = better competition = better players = greater on field product.

Yeah, but those corporations are chaired by real people. There's a decent amount of evidence that Portsmouth's official owner never existed. When your due diligence policies are that laughable, I'm not sure why I should respect you regardless of who you have.

Today, we are all otaku.

How does it diminish the league's international reputation? Location and a nickname are the naming conventions for North American sports. Hockey don't think any less of Russian clubs, such as CSKA Moscow, because they follow the European naming conventions instead of the NHL (and other NA leagues) convention of team names. The club names in Europe aren't just unique Football/Soccer it is how they name their teams in general. The methods to do this very from region to region.

Trying to latch on to a culture that isn't your own does more hurt international reputation than following your own unique cultural conventions.

Jesus Christ take me now.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

From downthebyline.com the possible new logo for Sporting KC.......

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-srgPQfjcfs/TOCsOslU19I/AAAAAAAAAkg/C3BzDvAdVl4/s1600/sportingkclogo.bmp

...looks a bit like the MLS Western Conference logo. Not a bad design if real but it doesn't make the name change any less stupid. I feel bad for Wizards fans.

"Sporting Kansas City" is a terrible name. It's just "Euro-posing" for the sake of "Euro-posing". I've always thought Wizards was a silly name(albeit better than "Wiz"), but this is really bad. If it was a new team trying to latch onto Euro style, that's bad enough, but this team has history under the Wizards name and they are throwing it all away.

Early on MLS was keen on distancing itself from anything that had anything to do with the old NASL, hence the terrible names like Clash and Mutiny and MetroStars. On a side note I won't go in-depth on here, that early NASL phobia was also partially responsible for the demise of the "Miami" Fusion(should have been Fort Lauderdale Strikers) and Tampa Bay Mutiny(should have been the Rowdies). You don't win fans by taking a dump on a beloved local institution.

Now they've managed to build a semi-respectable brand and history with some of those early names but they're moving towards this pseudo-European crap which is just as bad. I like Euro-sounding names that make sense, but MLS has none as of yet. Either there are total cop outs like Toronto FC or FC Dallas, or ripoffs like Real Salt Lake or Sporting KC. Show me an Alamo City SC, Detroit Motor City, Magic City FC, etc. etc. and then it works. Without the local flavor it's just stealing from big name European clubs to sound more professional.

Where MLS is seeming to finally come around on though is that old NASL legacy and tradition. The Earthquakes, Sounders, Timbers, Whitecaps, and as much as I despise it with every inch of my being, a second NYC team under the Cosmos banner, all do well to keep the traditions in American soccer going. It's a shame KC appears to be throwing their history away.

I really really don't like that shield. As a KC sports fan, it's been a rough day. Getting our asses handed to us by the broncos was bad enough, then I learn that it's become pretty clear that the Wizards are going to be Sporting KC and have a boring, stock shield. I don't even understand the intertwined SC. I thought the wording would be Sporting Kansas City not Sporting Club Kansas City, even if the wording is Sporting Club Kansas City, I would really prefer the emphasis to be on KC rather than SC. Just my 2 cents.

5660299338_f9de1a078e_z.jpg

5659732257_11a2c8d0d4_z.jpg

If you're going to change the name to Sporting KC, you should at least develop a connection with the original Sporting in Portugal to justify the name change to the press and to the fans. Learn from Real Salt Lake's mistakes in using a European-style name with no connection to the local community.

oakqb4.jpg

Archived