Kansas City Wizards Rebranded as Sporting KC

Ben7

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Dodgers" is kind of silly. "Trolley Dodgers" may have been a cool/witty name a hundred years ago, but that's it.

Regardless, this "Sporting" thing is completely preposterous.

I think they officially have the WORST name of any sports team in the U.S. Although FC Dallas, FC Toronto, and Real Salt Lake are also terrible. It's even worse that Teal Bunbury plays for KC, I will not be able to root for a team with such an idiotic name....

"Dodgers" is kind of silly. "Trolley Dodgers" may have been a cool/witty name a hundred years ago, but that's it.

I think they officially have the WORST name of any sports team in the U.S. Although FC Dallas, FC Toronto, and Real Salt Lake are also terrible. It's even worse that Teal Bunbury plays for KC, I will not be able to root for a team with such an idiotic name....

First, it's Toronto FC, not FC Toronto. Second, Toronto's not in the U.S. :P

Anyhoo, the real problem with "Sporting" as a team name is that it's way too generic. You could use a name like that for a team in any sport. See also "Oakland Athletics".

CCSLC signature.png

They replaced a horrible crest with a bland one. Can't say its not a slight upgrade, but the colors are pedestrian. Its just unfortunate when you do a rebrand and miss opportunities. This is a grand example of that. Highlighting the "Sporting Club" instead of "Kansas City" with the initials is a very poor decision.

Can we bus in Portland's booing fans to give this logo the proper reaction whne this is unveiled at an event?

please

i have only the slightest interest in the Wizards. I'm not particularly fond of the name Wizards, but would rather see the players wearing robes and merlin hats than be the Sporting KC.

I really hate the SC in the shield. It makes NO sense at all.

Also, I'm pretty disappointed with the Omaha Storm Chasers? The mascot/uni/logo gods have forsaken us.

5660299338_f9de1a078e_z.jpg

5659732257_11a2c8d0d4_z.jpg

Can we bus in Portland's booing fans to give this logo the proper reaction whne this is unveiled at an event?

I just woke up my daughter laughing.

I think the choice of the new name was an easy cop-out. The crest is awful though. To bad OnGoal did not fork out some cash to have a talented designer come up with a suitable replacement.

4592950395_ecb4e14b14_o.png4593568880_52fa798bdd_o.png

I wouldn't say worst, but maybe the blandest (even more so than FC Dallas and Toronto FC), but I don't think it's as silly as Real Salt Lake. And if nothing else, the supposed logo is better than the Crew's logo. But it is blander than the Crew's logo. This whole thing seems to be quite the disappointment, especially since I never got to enjoy a full season as a Kansas City Wizards fan (started following them after I went and watched them beat Man U at Arrowhead this Summer).

Toronto's in Canada, not the US chief.

Toronto FC works anyway. When you consider the fanbase for the team, and the atmosphere they're creating, a traditional football-style names fits.

I'd be more concerned about rooting for a guy named Teal Bunbury.

wtf is wrong with Teal Bunbury? he's a beast

No kidding, Canada cried when they heard the US was going to cap him internationally. We wanted him so bad, he a fantastic player who has nothing but time to get better and better.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Toronto FC works anyway. When you consider the fanbase for the team, and the atmosphere they're creating, a traditional football-style names fits.

Let's be honest. Toronto FC has something going on that parallels Man U's "red devils" nickname.

Yes, they are officially called Toronto FC but I rarely hear anybody call them that. I hear "the reds", "TFC", "the FC" and (although only used in situations where it's already established that the conversation is about TFC) "the boys".

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Let's be honest. Toronto FC has something going on that parallels Man U's "red devils" nickname.

Yes, they are officially called Toronto FC but I rarely hear anybody call them that. I hear "the reds", "TFC", "the FC" and (although only used in situations where it's already established that the conversation is about TFC) "the boys".

Being Reds isn't nearly the same as Red Devils. At least with Man U there's more to it than just, "The team wears blank so let's call them the blanks" that most of the naturally nicknamed teams end up with. Obviously not what happens every time, but just look at baseball where some of the teams ended up just being named after what they wore like the Reds and White Sox.

Now I'm not completely against Euro-style names for MLS teams (I like DC United for instance) but they can come across as being even more contrived than the artificially nicknamed Tigers and Eagles of the world (Real Salt Lake for example).

KCSporting_BBQ.png

Here's our new Logo for the former Wizards, KC Sporting :blink:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Being Reds isn't nearly the same as Red Devils. At least with Man U there's more to it than just, "The team wears blank so let's call them the blanks" that most of the naturally nicknamed teams end up with. Obviously not what happens every time, but just look at baseball where some of the teams ended up just being named after what they wore like the Reds and White Sox.

Now I'm not completely against Euro-style names for MLS teams (I like DC United for instance) but they can come across as being even more contrived than the artificially nicknamed Tigers and Eagles of the world (Real Salt Lake for example).

The fact is that the Toronto FC fanbase draws from the ethnically diverse neighbourhoods of Toronto. People who are from countries that have traditional Euro-style named teams or people who's parents or grandparents are from countries with Euro-style named teams. These are the people whose support, or lack thereof, the fate of MLS in Toronto will rest on. To appeal to people grounded in traditional soccer culture you're best off using a Euro-style name, a type of name they associate with top level football. A traditional North American name, the Toronto ________s, will look minor league to people who are grounded in a traditional soccer culture.

I'm not saying every team in MLS should have a Euro-style name. The Wizards should have just gone back to their rainbow badge. Sporting KC is just awful. For some teams, like Toronto FC, it makes sense.

Archived