Kansas City Wizards Rebranded as Sporting KC

Ben7

From uniwatch:

5178571918_62759c8075_o.png

I hope the gradients are not permanent......

To whoever updates the logos on this site:

When the Kansas City logo is eventually updated on the MLS logos pages, can these two teams' logos finally be updated too?

2010011100001280.jpg

red_bulls_new_york_logo.jpg

Both of these logos have been those teams' current logos since 2008!

Thank you in advance. :)

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Dodgers" is kind of silly. "Trolley Dodgers" may have been a cool/witty name a hundred years ago, but that's it.

Regardless, this "Sporting" thing is completely preposterous.

I think they officially have the WORST name of any sports team in the U.S. Although FC Dallas, FC Toronto, and Real Salt Lake are also terrible. It's even worse that Teal Bunbury plays for KC, I will not be able to root for a team with such an idiotic name....

Toronto's in Canada, not the US chief.

Toronto FC works anyway. When you consider the fanbase for the team, and the atmosphere they're creating, a traditional football-style names fits.

Let's be honest. Toronto FC has something going on that parallels Man U's "red devils" nickname.

Yes, they are officially called Toronto FC but I rarely hear anybody call them that. I hear "the reds", "TFC", "the FC" and (although only used in situations where it's already established that the conversation is about TFC) "the boys".

Being Reds isn't nearly the same as Red Devils. At least with Man U there's more to it than just, "The team wears blank so let's call them the blanks" that most of the naturally nicknamed teams end up with. Obviously not what happens every time, but just look at baseball where some of the teams ended up just being named after what they wore like the Reds and White Sox.

Now I'm not completely against Euro-style names for MLS teams (I like DC United for instance) but they can come across as being even more contrived than the artificially nicknamed Tigers and Eagles of the world (Real Salt Lake for example).

The fact is that the Toronto FC fanbase draws from the ethnically diverse neighbourhoods of Toronto. People who are from countries that have traditional Euro-style named teams or people who's parents or grandparents are from countries with Euro-style named teams. These are the people whose support, or lack thereof, the fate of MLS in Toronto will rest on. To appeal to people grounded in traditional soccer culture you're best off using a Euro-style name, a type of name they associate with top level football. A traditional North American name, the Toronto ________s, will look minor league to people who are grounded in a traditional soccer culture.

I'm not saying every team in MLS should have a Euro-style name. The Wizards should have just gone back to their rainbow badge. Sporting KC is just awful. For some teams, like Toronto FC, it makes sense.

+1

I was so excited when I heard Toronto FC was established, I'm a big fan of the Eredivise. The gentleman who sits beside me at BMO is a big fan of Irish soccer and, the guy 1 row in front of me (we're all former half seasons upgraded to full seasons this year) is of Scottish and Italian decent and he loves to watch the EPL.

To my point about the Man U/TFC nick name comparisons, Red Wolf, who cares if it's a colour they wear? Part of the reason "the Reds" is a nickname is because we were the only Canadian team, obviously playing off the red in the Canadian flag. Not to mention we have 3 regulars to the Canadian Men's National team.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

To appeal to people grounded in traditional soccer culture you're best off using a Euro-style name, a type of name they associate with top level football. A traditional North American name, the Toronto ________s, will look minor league to people who are grounded in a traditional soccer culture.

So, what are "people grounded in traditional soccer culture" to make of "Euro-style" team names that conform to the place name-noun structure of "traditional North American" sports team names? You know, such team names as...

Blackburn Rovers FC

Bolton Wanderers FC

Queens Park Rangers FC

Kidderminster Harriers FC

Blyth Spartans AFC

Stourport Swifts FC

Walton Casuals FC

FC Girondins de Bordeaux (Bordeaux Girondists FC)

Orlando Pirates FC

And this is just a partial list of such football clubs. There are many more examples.

In any event, given that the FC/AFC/SC abbreviations accompanying such club names are commonly dropped in normal conversation, what separates these "traditional", "Euro-style" names from the likes of Chicago Fire, Colorado Rapids, Columbus Crew, Kansas City Wizards, Houston Dynamo, Los Angeles Galaxy, New England Revolution, New York Red Bulls, Portland Timbers and San Jose Earthquakes? Does slapping the FC abbreviation on to Seattle Sounders and Vancouver Whitecaps make such a big a difference that it instantly transforms the identities of those two MLS clubs from "North American" to "Euro-style"?

"Tradition" - yes, even football tradition - is what you make of it. Each and every existing Major League Soccer team has established an authentic history and tradition for itself by simply taking to the pitch and bringing "the most beautiful game" to their respective supporters in the United States. Jettisoning any part of said history and tradition - including an existing team name - solely to mimic the so-called "traditional soccer culture" of foreign club teams will do nothing to establish a true soccer culture in the United States and Canada. Rather, it will simply be an abandonment of what authentic soccer culture we've managed to build in the two countries to date.

I'm not saying every team in MLS should have a Euro-style name. The Wizards should have just gone back to their rainbow badge. Sporting KC is just awful. For some teams' date=' like Toronto FC, it makes sense.[/quote']

Exactly. To each their own. That's the beauty of soccer's global presence: each national culture can add something to the melting pot that is the sport on the global stage.

IceCap: I was with you until you talked of bringing back the rainbow badge. That's the only thing that might be worse than this Sporting nonsense. Yikes.

What a complete trainwreck. The name's awful, the badge is uninspired at best... is the unveiling being webcast? The Cauldron must be... uh... boiling over.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

IceCap: I was with you until you talked of bringing back the rainbow badge. That's the only thing that might be worse than this Sporting nonsense. Yikes.

What a complete trainwreck. The name's awful, the badge is uninspired at best... is the unveiling being webcast? The Cauldron must be... uh... boiling over.

I have not head of anything in regards to a webcast. I'm sure they'll post pictures and such via twitter and facebook. They are really good with the social network stuff.

It'll be a cold and rainy night for the unveiling. KC Live! is partially covered, so it might not be too bad.

What an embarrassment for KC. I agree with the other people who've already said their is no need to mimic a culture that we don't have and give up our own history. It's a bad choice and I don't think many people will like it. Logo wise, does anyone know why there is an interlocking S and C instead of K and C?

From uniwatch:

5178571918_62759c8075_o.png

I hope the gradients are not permanent......

To whoever updates the logos on this site:

When the Kansas City logo is eventually updated on the MLS logos pages, can these two teams' logos finally be updated too?

2010011100001280.jpg

red_bulls_new_york_logo.jpg

Both of these logos have been those teams' current logos since 2008!

Thank you in advance. :)

Now that KC's logo change is official, hopefully the MLS logos page can now incorporate these three updated logos. :D

Archived