Top 3 worst uniform changes in the 2000's in your opinion

DallasSports

The Sonics/Thunder should'nt be on this list because it's not like OKC could have kept the name,colors and jersey template of the Sonics all that had to be left behind ala Cleveland Browns. Does the logo suck ..Yes but I'd disagree with most who say the unis do.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NBA:

1. Timberwolves - their alternate logo is pretty solid. If only they did as good a job with their uniforms. They're the tackiest things the NBA has seen since the wave of changes in the mid-90's. And let's not forget the fact that they look like WNBA uniform. Disgusting.

2. Thunder - looks like their whole identity was put together overnight to meet some kind of deadline. There's nothing unique or distinguishable about their logo or uniforms. As Sir Charles would say: TURRRBULL

3. Warriors - I really like what they did with the logo. I really like their throwbacks. They didn't need to combine the 2. The front looks like a jumbled mess and I can only imagine what the backside is going to look like with a potential trolley/tramp stamp nameplate combo.

Honorable Mention: Sixers (Using a logo they got rid of a little over a decade earlier? Yawn! At least update the thing the same way you did with the jerseys. Hawks (wouldn't be half bad if they had kept their previous color scheme. Actually, they might be amongst the best in the NBA, but no, they went cliche with red, white, and blue - all colors that make you think "Hawk" :rolleyes:)

NFL:

1. Bills - I don't think I need to explain these. They did make up for their current mess with the occasional throwbacks.

2. Lions - "Hey guys. If we add a black outline to our ferocious lion and some black trim to the uniforms, it may wash away a tradition of misery!" No, no it didn't. Nor will the latest update. Don't be afraid to make some changes, Detroit - and that goes as much for your players as it does your look.

3A. Jaguars - What's with the Plain Jane look? They had a solid uniform set, at the very least a unique one. Yeah, that's what a team that's considered a bore by their fanbase needed - to make their product look WORSE.

3B. Falcons - Cyber Bird. The End.

MLB:

1. Diamond Backs - where have I seen this look before? Oh yeah...Houston. Way to be original.

2. Blue Jays - Awful. I'm not going to say their logo didn't need an update, but did they need to make it look like a distant cousin of the Falcons logo?

3. Padres - Although not a terrible set (well, the all tan look is), I feel that they're so bland. There's much that can be done with them.

NHL:

1. Sabres - Think this one's agreed on universally.

2. Ducks - One of the most unique looks in hockey done away with because they wanted to shed the Disney image. This was one that could have been timeless had they left it alone. There was nothing tacky about it.

3. Panthers - I guess I can thank Reebok for ruining their look, or at least for starting the movement. Florida's look was amongst the NHL's best in my opinion, then came the Edge era. Don't get me started on this baby blue mess they have going on as an alternate nowaday. Disgraceful.

hollywoodp.jpg

Completely agree about the Ducks. The BFBS really pissed me off when they went that direction. Plus, as someone already mentioned, they basically adopted the Kings base colors of black and white.

What they should have done was replace eggplant with orange (as an homage to Orange County - as we've seen in many concepts) and updated their logo to reflect a mallard (although, despite it's Disney origins, I thought the Wild Wing mask was a pretty cool and unique idea.)

Epic fail by an otherwise impeccable ownership group.

Can't WAIT to see what the new alts look like next season. I swear I will stop rooting for them if they adopt an orange third with the webbed "D" foot as their primary however. I'll go back to rooting for them if/when they upgrade their unis because - after all - being a sports fan is all about "rooting for laundry" anyway, right? :P

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Don't be afraid to make some changes, Detroit - and that goes as much for your players as it does your look.

Actually, their roster is on the up and up. Calvin Johnson is still a beast, Matt Stafford and Jahvid Best have a ton of potential, and now they have Kyle Vanden Bosch providing much-needed veteran leadership on the defense. I could see maybe 8 or 9 wins out of their squad this year at the most, and I doubt they'll win less than 5 at the worst.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

NBA:

1. Timberwolves - their alternate logo is pretty solid. If only they did as good a job with their uniforms. They're the tackiest things the NBA has seen since the wave of changes in the mid-90's. And let's not forget the fact that they look like WNBA uniform. Disgusting.

2. Thunder - looks like their whole identity was put together overnight to meet some kind of deadline. There's nothing unique or distinguishable about their logo or uniforms. As Sir Charles would say: TURRRBULL

3. Warriors - I really like what they did with the logo. I really like their throwbacks. They didn't need to combine the 2. The front looks like a jumbled mess and I can only imagine what the backside is going to look like with a potential trolley/tramp stamp nameplate combo.

Honorable Mention: Sixers (Using a logo they got rid of a little over a decade earlier? Yawn! At least update the thing the same way you did with the jerseys. Hawks (wouldn't be half bad if they had kept their previous color scheme. Actually, they might be amongst the best in the NBA, but no, they went cliche with red, white, and blue - all colors that make you think "Hawk" :rolleyes:)

NFL:

1. Bills - I don't think I need to explain these. They did make up for their current mess with the occasional throwbacks.

2. Lions - "Hey guys. If we add a black outline to our ferocious lion and some black trim to the uniforms, it may wash away a tradition of misery!" No, no it didn't. Nor will the latest update. Don't be afraid to make some changes, Detroit - and that goes as much for your players as it does your look.

3A. Jaguars - What's with the Plain Jane look? They had a solid uniform set, at the very least a unique one. Yeah, that's what a team that's considered a bore by their fanbase needed - to make their product look WORSE.

MLB:

1. Diamond Backs - where have I seen this look before? Oh yeah...Houston. Way to be original.

2. Blue Jays - Awful. I'm not going to say their logo didn't need an update, but did they need to make it look like a distant cousin of the Falcons logo?

3. Padres - Although not a terrible set (well, the all tan look is), I feel that they're so bland. There's much that can be done with them.

NHL:

2. Ducks - One of the most unique looks in hockey done away with because they wanted to shed the Disney image. This was one that could have been timeless had they left it alone. There was nothing tacky about it.

3. Panthers - I guess I can thank Reebok for ruining their look, or at least for starting the movement. Florida's look was amongst the NHL's best in my opinion, then came the Edge era. Don't get me started on this baby blue mess they have going on as an alternate nowaday. Disgraceful.

Could not disagree more with the cyber bird thing. Id take Cyber bird over kindergarden stencil bird any day

1. Sabres - Buffaslug, nuff said.

2. Buffalo Bills - most mismatched uniforms ever.

3. 76ers - Went from bad to awful. I like the retro logo. But the rest of the package is horrific. The jerseys look like they belong to a middle school team.

What is it with Buffalo and bad uniforms? (Sorry, Buffalo fans)

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

bills, bengals, seahawks, rams reebok needs to learn to match things up and not make hideous clown uniforms. (texans would be in there but they were made in the 2000s and havnt really changed at all)

and of course buffaslug

maehl.png

1: Most of the Edge-forced changes, most notably the Avs and Stars.

2: Jaguars. First, the road jersey's change from teal numbers to black, then last season's war against gold.

3: Vikings. Even though I hate them, I thought the Moss era uniform was pretty nice. The AP era set, not as much.

Honorable Mention I: Coyotes. I've never really warmed up to the current crest, it and the pseudo-traditional jerseys they ride on are simply not as memorable as the "Picasso" set.

Honorable Mention II: Marlins. It's not just the de-emphasis on teal. It's not that they stopped using vests. It's that they killed the FLORIDA lettering with the marlin on it.

Honorable Mention III: Sonics. I loved the 90s set. I hated the 2000s set with a passion, it was a crappy imitation of the 80s set.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Honorable Mention II: Marlins. It's not just the de-emphasis on teal. It's not that they stopped using vests. It's that they killed the FLORIDA lettering with the marlin on it.

Was just thinking about this, its a shame, their teal alt was the best, and I dont usually like any/most of the road grays in baseball, but that Florida one with the Marlin was my all time favorite for a road gray.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

1: Most of the Edge-forced changes, most notably the Avs and Stars.

2: Jaguars. First, the road jersey's change from teal numbers to black, then last season's war against gold.

3: Vikings. Even though I hate them, I thought the Moss era uniform was pretty nice. The AP era set, not as much.

Honorable Mention I: Coyotes. I've never really warmed up to the current crest, it and the pseudo-traditional jerseys they ride on are simply not as memorable as the "Picasso" set.

Honorable Mention III: Sonics. I loved the 90s set. I hated the 2000s set with a passion, it was a crappy imitation of the 80s set.

As a Vikings fan, I have to respectfully disagree with your selection for the Vikings. But then again, I'm probably biased.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

NBA:

NFL:

MLB:

NHL:

Could not disagree more with the cyber bird thing. Id take Cyber bird over kindergarden stencil bird any day

Not a fan of either, personally, so it's not like I'm saying one's an upgrade over the other.

hollywoodp.jpg

i really agree with all of you and it seems like everybody really appreciates classics... i am really passionate about this subject

Some of the ones that stood out are:

NFL:

Arizona Cardinals(too modern)

Atlanta Falcons(too modern)

Cincinatti Bengals (turrible)

Buffalo Bills(yoo modern)

Minnesota Vikings(too modern)

San Diego Chargers (I think the consensus is that they made an improvement, but I grew up with the navy)

NBA:

Atlanta Hawks(Times New Roman)

Cleveland Cavaliers(not a huge deal, but i liked the Wesley Person threads)

Houston Rockets(again I grew up with the Hakeem, Drexler era)

Indiana Pacers(where did the pinstripes go?, bad font)

Orlando Magic(loved the Penny Hardaway, bad font)

Phoenix Suns(loved the Barkley era)

Oklahoma City Thunder(just s0 uninspiring, i don't want to talk about it)

Sacramento Kings(hate the new font, so plain)

* As you can tell I hate what the NBA has done in the 2000's... so plain and so uninspiring

MLB:

Arizona Diamondbacks(terrible, so plain, not original, i don't get it, you won a WS in the teal!)

San Diego Padres(you had a good look and then it changed)

Toronto Blue Jays(awful, just awful, too modern)

The MLB is perfect for purists

NHL:

Anaheim Ducks(just so ugly now, I hate it)

Buffalo Sabres(bad logo, but I like the change back to the classic colors)

Dallas Stars(black and green?..ugh)

Los Angeles Kings(Black and Purple? they could do it better)

Ottawa Senators(ugly new logo)

Atlanta Thrashers(I just hate the modern,flashy color scheme)

Nashville(the NHL is a very proud,traditional league and the pooped on that)

*** So to sum up my opinion on jerseys and logos: If you have success while wearing one logo or jersey and create an identity, DO NOT CHANGE!

If i had a top 3 they would be:

1)Oklahoma City Thunder

2)Arizona Diamondbacks

3)Atlanta Falcons

300px-CarolinaColiseum.jpg

i have to do 5 since 3 is not enough in my opinion

1. buffaslug. navy and darker gold. fail, just fail.

2. pittsburgh penguins. beige FTL.

3. philadelphia flyers. i loved those orange uniforms and they just HAD to go for black for blacks sake.

4. anaheim ducks. they scrapped a cool unique look for some crappy dull colours.

5. new york islanders. i hate the clownfish sleeves with a passion

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

1. Rays, biggest downgrade ever.

2. Ducks, I like the new colors ok, but the uniforms are plain as hell. Logo needs work.

3. 76ers, went from pretty decent to more boring throwback.

2ly2w09.jpg

1) Sacramento Kings the set they wore prior to the current set was much better than what they are wearing now. If they wanted to do anything to it they should have done a purple alternate.

2) New York Islanders the edge jerseys were just horrid but then again considering how this once proud franchise is run like a laughing stock they might have well dressed like one too. At least the new set is 100 times better. Honorable mention to the Edmonton Oilers.

3) Florida Marlins for the removal of teal from their uniforms both the pinstripes and from the wordmark. In MLB teal was unique to the Marlins and I did not like seeing it go.

Honorable Mention:

Atlanta Braves for the addition of that blue road alt then their seeming subsequent adoption last season as their road jersey. Atlanta has one of the best sets in all of MLB and probably the best road set but the blue alt ick. The red home Sunday only alt is pretty bad too but I do like the cap that they wear with it.

The Sonics/Thunder should'nt be on this list because it's not like OKC could have kept the name,colors and jersey template of the Sonics all that had to be left behind ala Cleveland Browns. Does the logo suck ..Yes but I'd disagree with most who say the unis do.

I think you're missing the point entirely. It's well understood the team had to rebrand, that's not the issue. It's that what came of it wasn't very good. If the rebrand looked nice, it wouldn't be mentioned on as many lists. Know what I mean?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived