Top 3 worst uniform changes in the 2000's in your opinion

DallasSports

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna go ahead and agree that the 2007 Stanley Cup Finalists are the two most disappointing NHL downgrades besides Buffaslug, and possibly Dallas.

I mean, THIS was one of my favorite expansion logos. And now they have THIS cartoonish crap!

Such a shame.

BTW, Buffalo never should have changed this...one of the best logo/uni updates of the 90's NHL, even if it was BFBS.

01) Buffalo Sabres

Went from one of the most unique visually appealing sets in the league to an incongruent mess. Even if you were to omit the fact that the Buffaslug is easily one of the worst in all of pro sports, their 2006 uniforms would still make this list. Extra points for starting one of the most pointless fads in NHL history with their completely unnecessary front numbers.

02) Calgary Flames

TFoA was right on the money about this one. It was hard choosing between this and the Sabres new set. You know you have a bad set when there are over three different striping patterns and both horizontal and vertical striping. The Flags on the shoulders however put this over the top. They have got to be the tackiest, most lazy excuses for secondary logos I have ever seen. When these monstrosities are finally put out of their misery, they will make nearly every worst of list, bank on it

03) Dallas Stars

Toke the most visually appealing jerseys in franchise history with a beautiful colour scheme, sucked out all the character (Green) and replaced it with a long sleeve basketball shirt. The collegiate script looks like a joke and stripes are ridiculously sparse and half assed, like they didnt bother to finish them. Worse is the fact that they put hemline stripes on the white (which doesnt need them because the pants are black and contrast with the sweater already) and neglected to put them on the black making the full package look like a monochrome disaster.

Oh, hell no. The 1996 set was a disaster. While the slug sucks, the latest change was an improvement, overall.

How exactly is the 1996 set a disaster? It has a logo that actually looks like a Buffalo, and a clean unique striping pattern. Sure it broke from the tradition of the franchise by ditching the Blue and Gold but strictly aesthetically speaking, its the best looking set the Sabres ever had. At least in my opinion. The Sabres original set is very overrated in my view but I can understand being partial to it because it was around for the franchises first 25 years. What I can't understand however is justifying that trainwreck of a 2006 set. Its not a return to clubs original colours, logo or jerseys. Its like they toke the St Louis Rams jersey, shoehorned it on a hockey sweater, added the Predators colour scheme and came up with the most ridiculously incongruent striping pattern ever seen. The only way to tell what the striping is is by laying it flat with the sleeves stretched out. Otherwise it just appears as an indistinguishable blob of colour. Even if you ignored the slug, its a fail in every possible way.

The only thing, in my opinion, that the 1996 set has over the 2006 set is the logo. The 90s buffalo head is indeed superior to the slug.

That being said, the Sabres are a blue and gold team. The 1996 Sabres set would have been perfect if the team was an expansion club with no past history, but it wasn't. It was a team with 25 years of history in blue and gold and they replaced it with a uniform and colour scheme that while nice, had no connection to the aesthetic traditions of the club. The Buffaslug look, while still incredibly bad, at least makes an attempt to set things right with the return to a more Sabres-esque colour scheme.

The original Sabres look was, I think, perfect. A unique to the league colour combo, a simple yet still unique striping pattern, and a logo that's able to convey the team's entire name without a single letter. Brilliant. I look forward to seeing the Sabres dress like the Sabres again for the first time in fourteen years.

I used to like them ALOT when they first came out...but dang...the new Timberwolves' jerseys are simply second rate. I think the thing I don't like about them the most is how baggy they look.

I heard they're slightly revamping them for this next season though...so hopefully they make the proper adjustments. It could be really cool if they do it right.

HybridLogos-NBA-Timberwolves.png?t=1336836952

1. Arizona Diamondbacks - As has been said, went from unique colors to adding to the number of red teams in baseball.

2. Phoenix Coyotes - Again, an awesome, unique and locally relevant visual identity replaced with a generic color scheme and terrible logo.

3. Seattle SuperSonics/OKC Thunder - Maybe the worst rebrand of all time, but since they moved to a new city I'm not sure that counts as much.

Of course, the Marlins will shoot to number one on this list in 2012 when Jeffrey "Art Dealer" Loria completes his vision to remove any and every trace of the FLORIDA Marlins from my team :mad:

• Toronto Blue Jays
    They're the Blue Jays and their main color is black. They had an established identity and ruined it just to be modern.
  • Arizona Diamondbacks
    The purple and teal was unique and easily distinguishable. More importantly, they won one of the most exciting World Series while wearing it. And just to be modern, they replaced it with a bland and awful looking color set.
  • Anaheim Ducks
    Another team that trashed had a unique and well-established look. What do they have now? Black and white. Such creativity.

Of course, the Marlins will shoot to number one on this list in 2012 when Jeffrey "Art Dealer" Loria completes his vision to remove any and every trace of the FLORIDA Marlins from my team :mad:

Yeah, the whole "It's bad because it's trendy" argument has no weight, does it? :)

Oh the good times. I wish they would go back to these and the original home and roads....

Teal.png

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Archived