Penguins

stimpy

Those of you, who don't live in Seattle are unaware that the T-birds play in the Key, But 1/4 of the seats have to be folded back to put the ice down. That is only part of the reason the T-birds have problems, there are more, like too many owners, hence why one left and took on the Silvertips up north in Everett. Where they draw 6,000 a night during the recent playoff run.

More likely a team would move to Portland before Seattle. The Sonics are looking to move out of the Key, as well. Portland has a building already to handle it, and I doubt you will see Washington voters pass another tax increase to support another sports team. Boeing is laying people off like hot cakes and we have one of the highest rates of unemployment in the States. Watch the attendance of the M's as the lose, people here don't go if teams lose, unless it is Husky Football. People are upset over the approach of the Mariner and Sonic owners, as well.

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

Uhmm.. as far as the jerseys go, I like the ide of the color you used, but the logo should defiantely be full color. I would also add some striping.

But nice color.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Can I have some links showing where you get the information the Pens would move to Portland/Seattle?

Consider this, in 1984 the Pens had an average attendance of about 6,000 that season, they ended up in last place. In 2004 the Pens have an average of 11,000. Tell me where you see that there's no support for the Pens in Pittsburgh? All we need is a new arena (which everyday we move closer to getting) and the new CBA which will take time, but everyone has hope for it.

I don't know where some people get the crazy idea that the Pens are moving? Quit spitting out these rumors unless you have solid evidence that things are in the works.

Let's go Pens!

I don't know where some people get the crazy idea that the Pens are moving? Quit spitting out these rumors unless you have solid evidence that things are in the works.

Amen Brotha!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

good job, here's a pat on the back...

penguins.gif

(i've been waiting for a good place to use this)

i hope the league and the team continue in the future, but i'm a Pens fan and like the NHL.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

Can I have some links showing where you get the information the Pens would move to Portland/Seattle?

Consider this, in 1984 the Pens had an average attendance of about 6,000 that season, they ended up in last place. In 2004 the Pens have an average of 11,000. Tell me where you see that there's no support for the Pens in Pittsburgh? All we need is a new arena (which everyday we move closer to getting) and the new CBA which will take time, but everyone has hope for it.

Its know its not recent news or anything but I do recall sportsbusinessnews.com picking up an article from the Post Gazette in which Mario stated he would sell or even move the Pens if they didn?t get a new arena. At the time, the new arena plan the Pens were pushing for a site next to Mellon (were some hospital sits I believe) had stalled and the Pens couldn?t get anyone in the city to push the plane forward.

Since this has happened, city, state and Pens officials have gotten together to hammer out an odd financing plan that includes funds from a horse racing track. Not quite sure if this plan would work, but presently they are trying........

To me, despite the new arena plan moving forward, unless a new arena plan is officially agreed upon, the Pens could and most likely will be on the chopping or relocation block. And its all due to the looming CBA problems and its after effects. Some under-achieving teams will disappear or be relocated to make the league stronger financially.

Its sucks for the fans....but unfortunately, its the truth.

You don?t need any articles or "solid evidence" posted to prove this. Just look at the Pens situation and compare it to the "baseball contraction" issue of a few years ago. The Pens are facing the same problem that the Expos, Marlins and Twins all faced. Despite great fan support or not, without a new venue, these teams couldn?t survive financially. The same will be said for the Pens once that time (for NHL contraction) comes around.......unless they have a new venue in place.

For the Pens in Pittsburgh........its "new arena or bust" time.

As for possible relocation sites...........

At this point in time the most-likely "first-choice relocation city" has to be Houston, Texas. Rockets owner Les Alexander has made it no secret that he wants an NHL team, provided a new CBA is hammered out. Its the largest market the NHL has yet to tap into. In fact, it probably should have been one of the first Sun Belt markets the league should have tapped into first, ahead of Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, Tampa etc.......but the fact that there was no new arena held this city back from getting a team since the 1980's. Now the city has the freshly-opened Toyota Center to fill that position........sooner or later some NHL team will fill that vacancy.

Twice the Edmonton Oilers almost ended up filling the vacancy in Houston in the 90's. In fact, the second time they were practically bought by Houston Rockets owner Les Alexander as he had a hand shake deal with Peter Pocklington to buy the team, until a local consortium stepped to save the team. Unfortunately, a third time of financial problems is coming around.......and this time it will be the charm for Houston.

And now that Winnipeg finally has a new arena, with there fan base, I feel they will also be one of the first in line to get a team. Maybe the NHL could move one of the struggling "Sun Belt mistakes" to Winnipeg.

Until Seattle gets a new arena, which wont happen until 2009 at earliest due to the Sonics projections, you can scratch them off the list. If they can hammer out an agreement for a new arena much sooner, then and only will Seattle be considered.

NYCdog.png

Currently the only thing the Pens are waiting for is the Gambling Bill to be voted through in Pennsylvania. The owner of the Horse Racing Track in WVA will invest nearly all the money in the new arena that is needed, with the Pens throwing in some and the State some.

The Gambling Bill should be passed later this month, so the Pens are that much closer to getting a new arena. :D

I think when push comes to shove and the Pens get close to moving, the State will step-in and help with the new Arena, I guarantee the Pen's will not be moving or I'll eat an old rotten sock.

Let's go Pens!

Currently the only thing the Pens are waiting for is the Gambling Bill to be voted through in Pennsylvania.  The owner of the Horse Racing Track in WVA will invest nearly all the money in the new arena that is needed, with the Pens throwing in some and the State some. 

The Gambling Bill should be passed later this month, so the Pens are that much closer to getting a new arena.  :D

I think when push comes to shove and the Pens get close to moving, the State will step-in and help with the new Arena, I guarantee the Pen's will not be moving or I'll eat an old rotten sock.

Well I'm glad to see that things are headed in the right track in Pittsburgh. I really didnt want to see the Pens fly the coup.

But dont start celebrating just yet.....cause when it comes to passing bills to fund sports facilities in the State Legislature, you never know what to expect.

Just ask baseball fans in St Louis who almost lost their Cardinals to the suburbs of Southern Illinois becuase of what happend (or lack thereof) in the State Legislature. Thankfully a second plan was developed and pushed through to keep the Cards in downtown St Louis, where they belong.

The same has happened in Minnesota for both the Twins and Vikings as passing bills to fund sports facilities in there state legislature has stalled every time for nearly a decade.

All I can tell you is to contact you local state politicans and let them know to get this deal done to keep the Pens in town.:unclesam:

EDIT.....And BTW, good luck in the fight to get a new arena and keep the Pens where they belong, in Pittsburgh. :D

NYCdog.png

The difference is, this bill the State is trying to pass would also come for as a tax relief to alot of people. So it's much more then a Sports Team related issue. It's Revenue also, so it's expected to pass as soon as a few kinks are ironed out.

Let's go Pens!

"Personally, as far as I would be concerned, I would have made it with the logo used by their Wilkes-Barre/Scranton farm club (the 'Muscular Penguin') on ALL their sweaters (jersies) next year, and added red to the color mix, and even have a red third jersey."

"I'm actually working on a concept along those lines. Going blue instead of red, though. More in keeping with franchise history."

And how about turning the triangle 180 degrees so that it's pointing up, just like Red Kelly's old "Pyramid Power" therum, hmmm?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Archived