2010 NFL Season

NEW.ERA

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are dead serious on this?

:wacko:

Yes. Abandoning the passing attack in a pass happy league is the key to succeeding now. With Kolb as a liability on offense and McCoy being the potential workhorse that he is, a 100% running attack with 70-80 carries a game would be integral to the Eagles chances at success this season.

Yes. Abandoning the passing attack in a pass happy league is the key to succeeding now. With Kolb as a liability on offense and McCoy being the potential workhorse that he is, a 100% running attack with 70-80 carries a game would be integral to the Eagles chances at success this season.

I couldn't agree more. If you run the ball 80+ time per game, the defense is likely to start putting 8 or even 9 guys in the box, which allows for you to strike big on your 2 or 3 pass attempts per game. Plus, like someone mentioned earlier, it's great for clock control, which masks a weak Eagles defense.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

*looks at the previous posts*

I take it my sarcasm meter must be on the fritz. There's no way anyone can run the ball 70-80 times a game for 16 games (That would mean 1,120-1,280 carries on the season).

Although, I do find it amusing to see will go off on these half assed rants.

Is it 1,120 to 1,280 carries on the season? Or is it 3,500 to 4,000 yards on the season? You're just not looking at the positives of it. He'll have Emmitt's rushing record by age 28. If he's not dead by week nine of next season, that is.

BringBacktheVet's right, how do you defend Jackson and Maclin deep two or three times a game if you have to stuff 8 or 9 in the box the other 77 plays? The answer? You don't.

IUe6Hvh.png

See, here's the brilliance of it. If the Eagles have to throw more than, say, 5 or 10 times, they're going to be screwed. So you go heavy on the run and the pass will be there when you need it.

You don't have to tell me! There's a limited window in the NFL to win, you can't waste time developing a QB, you have to do what it takes to win immediately. The Eagles may not have the QB, or the defense to win it all, but god damn it if they don't have a good RB in Shady McCoy.

IUe6Hvh.png

I couldn't agree more. If you run the ball 80+ time per game, the defense is likely to start putting 8 or even 9 guys in the box, which allows for you to strike big on your 2 or 3 pass attempts per game. Plus, like someone mentioned earlier, it's great for clock control, which masks a weak Eagles defense.

You'll have several three and outs, and with a weak defense, you'll be down by 28 before you can expose the opposing defense for stacking the box.

You'll have several three and outs, and with a weak defense, you'll be down by 28 before you can expose the opposing defense for stacking the box.

We only deal in nonsense around here, take that "common sense" hubub elsewhere, fella.

Either I missed the joke here, or I have to be in some sort of half assed Twilight Zone version of this topic.

The Eagles have two good wideouts that can help spread the field. Why not use that as a offensive weapon, hm?

Oh, and if Kolb is a liability after two preseason games, then it's fair to say that Eagle fans ought to be happy with a piss poor season with that kind of attitude.

I was hoping he'd retire, because of the concussion issues he had last year, but in lieu of that, I hope he can somehow stay healthy, get a lot of PT, and tear it up for the niners. If not for his fragility, dude could've been a great player for a long time.

Funny Westbrook story - one of my ex GFs worked at Nordstrom with a black girl (color is relevant here) who claimed to have dated him while at Villanova and his first year or two in the NFL. She said that he dumped her and claimed that he was too big of a star to be seen with black women. I'm not sure if he said it sarcastically, if he has dated only white women since then, or if it's even true at all, but I usually think of that story when I think of him.

He should have. Even with the HBO Real Sports episode last week, it should be made clear that attempting to "be a man and play through a concussion" is short term thinking. I hope that the NFLPA addresses this in the CBA talks, especially since their pensions compared to MLB players are tiny in comparison.

We only deal in nonsense around here, take that "common sense" hubub elsewhere, fella.

That was actually a good pop song years ago. Back when Freddy Adu (since he dated JoJo) was thought to have a career. She fell off the map faster than he did.

Either I missed the joke here, or I have to be in some sort of half assed Twilight Zone version of this topic.

The Eagles have two good wideouts that can help spread the field. Why not use that as a offensive weapon, hm?

Oh, and if Kolb is a liability after two preseason games, then it's fair to say that Eagle fans ought to be happy with a piss poor season with that kind of attitude.

1. Perhaps, but as WillMorris astutely pointed out, right now the Eagles don't have a QB who can get them the ball. At least not consistently enough to win. Besides, you can take say four or five of those 70 rushing attempts and use those receivers on a reverse. Think about it, after 35 straight running plays if you line up looking like you might pass then a reverse is really going to catch the defense off guard. Don't worry, the receivers will get involved.

2. It's not that Kolb is necessarily a liability, he just needs a season or two to develop into a better QB. So what do you do when you can't pass consistently? You run. A lot. As I said earlier, if you can manage a mere two yards per carry you're looking at getting 140-160 yards a game on the ground.

Throw in one or two, maybe even three to five passes that catch the defense by surprise and you should be able to win some ball games. And let's be honest here, if you're running 70 times a game no one will ever be looking for a passing play.

Then there's this, after 40-45 straight running plays the opposing defense will have been on the field for a very long time. They'll be too run down to be able to cover a pass. Plus they'll never know when it's coming. Five or six passes a game will literally wreak havoc in this offense.

And, as an added bonus the Eagles defense will constantly be fresh and the opposing offense will never be able to develop any rhythm. If the Eagles offense can score between 14 and 20 points a game that should be good enough for 9 to 11 wins.

Will's idea is sheer genius if you ask me. Unfortunately there's no way the Eagles will try it.

BB52Big.jpg

Pat Shurmur? Is that you?

To Infrared-I only saw the stats. Was the Rams offense as bad as I think it was?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1. Perhaps, but as WillMorris astutely pointed out, right now the Eagles don't have a QB who can get them the ball. At least not consistently enough to win. Besides, you can take say four or five of those 70 rushing attempts and use those receivers on a reverse. Think about it, after 35 straight running plays if you line up looking like you might pass then a reverse is really going to catch the defense off guard. Don't worry, the receivers will get involved.

I totally disagree. I have a lot of confidence in Kolb's ability to get Maclin, Jackson, and Celek the ball. He can throw the slant and lead the receivers a lot better than McNabb, and while he can't "make plays" the same way that Donovan did, his ability to think, decide, and throw within three steps makes up for that. Even if the line doesn't come together (if Jamal Jackson can't come back from his surgery, they'll be really weak at center, which burdens everyone else) his lack of overholding on to the ball will mask that weakness. However, this still doesn't mean that they shouldn't run it 90+ times per game. Why not keep his arm fresh for when they really need it, right?

2. It's not that Kolb is necessarily a liability, he just needs a season or two to develop into a better QB. So what do you do when you can't pass consistently? You run. A lot. As I said earlier, if you can manage a mere two yards per carry you're looking at getting 140-160 yards a game on the ground.

Kolb has had 3 years in the system to develop, plus he played in a few games last year. Andy Reid (for better or worse) doesn't believe in scaling it back - if you're good enough to be out there, you're good enough to run the whole playbook - and his playbook simply doesn't contain running plays. I'm not saying I agree with this, that's just how it is.

Then there's this, after 40-45 straight running plays the opposing defense will have been on the field for a very long time. They'll be too run down to be able to cover a pass. Plus they'll never know when it's coming. Five or six passes a game will literally wreak havoc in this offense.

Yup. That's why it's genius. Plus, it's not like it'd be all McCoy. If he gets 45 carries, Leonard Weaver can get 20, Mike Bell can get 15, and Eldra Buckley can get at least 5 or 6. They'll all be relatively fresh. Hell - I'm sure Vick could get at least 10 carries per game, so there's no reason why willmorris' strategy can't be executed successfully. Hell - if anyone needs a blow, they can always give some of the defensive guys some carries. I'm sure safety Quintin Mikell and LB Akeem Jordan could learn to take a handoff or 20.

And, as an added bonus the Eagles defense will constantly be fresh and the opposing offense will never be able to develop any rhythm. If the Eagles offense can score between 14 and 20 points a game that should be good enough for 9 to 11 wins.

Will's idea is sheer genius if you ask me. Unfortunately there's no way the Eagles will try it.

Exactly. They've yet to recover from the loss of Dawkins, and their MLB is coming off of ACL surgery. This plan will make the defense look like superstars, when in reality, they're only slightly above average.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

FWIW, my wife and I watched the first half of the Eagles-Bengals game and I was impressed by Kolb. He made some tough throws and put them right on the money. He has an odd throwing motion, such that my wife even commented on it. Looks like he's throwing a dart as opposed to a football but hey, as long as it goes where it's supposed to, it works.

Now to the big picture. Situations like McNabb out/Kolb in are tests of faith, the faith fans have that the coaching staff and front office know what they're doing. I have that faith now in Payton and Mickey Loomis of the Saints. Their track record is such that when they do something, I think, "Okay, that seems like an odd move but I assume they know what they're doing." And usually they do.

An opposite example was back in 2002, when the Saints were sitting at 9-4 and needed to win 1 of their final 3 to make the playoffs. QB Aaron Brooks was nicked with a shoulder injury they kept denying but Haslett stayed with him rather than some guy named Jake Delhomme, who went to Carolina the very next season and damn near hoisted the Lombardi. The Saints lost all three and their season was over. That's when I lost faith in Haslett & Co. :cursing:

So BBTV, the question is, do you believe in Andy?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Interesting to see how long the Eagles are patient with Kolb. The really interesting thing is that BBTV sold us the whole Kolb in, McNabb out strategy as a win now (well, win soon) strategy.

The real message is that if the Eagles don't win soon, there is nowhere else for Andy Reid to look. Over the next year or two, he is a coach with a bundle of pressure on him.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

FWIW, my wife and I watched the first half of the Eagles-Bengals game and I was impressed by Kolb. He made some tough throws and put them right on the money. He has an odd throwing motion, such that my wife even commented on it. Looks like he's throwing a dart as opposed to a football but hey, as long as it goes where it's supposed to, it works.

Now to the big picture. Situations like McNabb out/Kolb in are tests of faith, the faith fans have that the coaching staff and front office know what they're doing. I have that faith now in Payton and Mickey Loomis of the Saints. Their track record is such that when they do something, I think, "Okay, that seems like an odd move but I assume they know what they're doing." And usually they do.

An opposite example was back in 2002, when the Saints were sitting at 9-4 and needed to win 1 of their final 3 to make the playoffs. QB Aaron Brooks was nicked with a shoulder injury they kept denying but Haslett stayed with him rather than some guy named Jake Delhomme, who went to Carolina the very next season and damn near hoisted the Lombardi. The Saints lost all three and their season was over. That's when I lost faith in Haslett & Co. :cursing:

So BBTV, the question is, do you believe in Andy?

In most cases no. I think he's a horrible game day coach, and as GM, he has made some poor decisions when it comes to talent evaluation (though to be fair, a lot of his controversial moves have worked out as well, and he has kept the team competitive throughout his entire tenure.) However, he seems to have a knack with QBs. He worked with Favre, he drafted McNabb despite public opposition (he said that he wanted him even if the Browns had taken Akili Smith and left Couch on the table), he turned AJ Feeley into something, won games with Jeff Garcia, etc. He loved Donovan like a son (well, a son who isn't in jail for various crimes) and for him to use a high pick on Kolb and finally make the call to give up on Donovan really says something. In this one case, I'm willing to defer to his judgment.

Interesting to see how long the Eagles are patient with Kolb. The really interesting thing is that BBTV sold us the whole Kolb in, McNabb out strategy as a win now (well, win soon) strategy.

The real message is that if the Eagles don't win soon, there is nowhere else for Andy Reid to look. Over the next year or two, he is a coach with a bundle of pressure on him.

This is certainly "win now". They're definitely not a super bowl team this year, but they're not rebuilding either. As for pressure on Reid, there is NONE (at least not from the organization.) He essentially has a lifetime contract, and will coach as long as he wants to. As for pressure from the fans, well, he hasn't been popular with the fans for a long time, and unless he changes his personality and / or stops calling bootlegs on third and inches, he never will be.

My point on Reid is that he can't lean on McNabb for blame now, and at some point, especialyl with a win now mentality, then he can't shiftthe blame, so if the whole organization really is in win now shape and they don't win, what does the ownership do?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

My point on Reid is that he can't lean on McNabb for blame now, and at some point, especialyl with a win now mentality, then he can't shiftthe blame, so if the whole organization really is in win now shape and they don't win, what does the ownership do?

Reid has never leaned on McNabb or pointed the finger at him. He always (at least publicly) puts the blame on himself (which most people think is just an act.) It just doesn't matter though. The owner (Jeff Lurie) and president (Joe Banner) love him and will never get rid of him, even if he goes 1-15 for several years. Reid has total control of the football operation, and has essentially been given a lifetime contract (not literally, but just from what they've said and how they've reacted to his failures before.) He doesn't need anyone to blame. He has no worries. This is not an arguable point.

Archived