2010 NFL Season

NEW.ERA

My point on Reid is that he can't lean on McNabb for blame now, and at some point, especialyl with a win now mentality, then he can't shiftthe blame, so if the whole organization really is in win now shape and they don't win, what does the ownership do?

Reid has never leaned on McNabb or pointed the finger at him. He always (at least publicly) puts the blame on himself (which most people think is just an act.) It just doesn't matter though. The owner (Jeff Lurie) and president (Joe Banner) love him and will never get rid of him, even if he goes 1-15 for several years. Reid has total control of the football operation, and has essentially been given a lifetime contract (not literally, but just from what they've said and how they've reacted to his failures before.) He doesn't need anyone to blame. He has no worries. This is not an arguable point.

All owners make supportive noises about their coaches. And I don't believe there is a coach in the NFL, with the possible exception of Bellichick, who is totally safe. And if things do go pear shaped, Reid might find that out! Especially in a division as competetive as the one the Eagles are in.

Look, I am not saying Reid will go, but the owners have allowed a huge personnel move in letting McNabb go to a divisional rival. If that goes wrong, what else can the ownership do? They obviously want to win, if after a couple of years the Eagles are not near the playoffs, what choice does Lurie have? (honest question, what next for the Eagles?)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point on Reid is that he can't lean on McNabb for blame now, and at some point, especialyl with a win now mentality, then he can't shiftthe blame, so if the whole organization really is in win now shape and they don't win, what does the ownership do?

Reid has never leaned on McNabb or pointed the finger at him. He always (at least publicly) puts the blame on himself (which most people think is just an act.) It just doesn't matter though. The owner (Jeff Lurie) and president (Joe Banner) love him and will never get rid of him, even if he goes 1-15 for several years. Reid has total control of the football operation, and has essentially been given a lifetime contract (not literally, but just from what they've said and how they've reacted to his failures before.) He doesn't need anyone to blame. He has no worries. This is not an arguable point.

All owners make supportive noises about their coaches. And I don't believe there is a coach in the NFL, with the possible exception of Bellichick, who is totally safe. And if things do go pear shaped, Reid might find that out! Especially in a division as competetive as the one the Eagles are in.

Look, I am not saying Reid will go, but the owners have allowed a huge personnel move in letting McNabb go to a divisional rival. If that goes wrong, what else can the ownership do? They obviously want to win, if after a couple of years the Eagles are not near the playoffs, what choice does Lurie have? (honest question, what next for the Eagles?)

I've said this before, and I'm saying it now - you are not here, you do not follow this team on a daily basis, you do not work for the team, and you don't play cards with writers who speak to these guys privately and candidly. The statement that I made is fact. You cannot debate fact.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So Sean Payton's on the hot seat in New Orleans, huh? :wacko: I'll leave it to others to compile a full list of 'safe' coaches but Payton for some reason came right to my mind. B)

Borrowing from another sport, I think the Eagles' situation might be called the "Bobby Cox Conundrum." The Braves have had enough success to keep Cox here (something like 13 straight division titles before last year) but not enough to satisfy any serious fan (1 WS title). Such teams always have a chance, usually a good to great chance, to challenge for a title but for whatever reason, seldom or never end up winning it. Yet it seems foolish to consider firing such a 'successful' manager (or coach) and starting all over, so it goes on and on and on. Sometimes they get over the hump - Tom Landry's Cowboys were derisively called "Next Year's Champions" before they started winning SBs - and sometimes not.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Bobby Cox is a good comparison. One notable exception is that Reid is also John Schuerholz in this situation.

Here's an evaluation on every pass Kolb threw the other night. I'm sure once the season starts, every move he makes will be scrutinized even worse than this.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Evaluating_Kolbs_performance.html

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So Sean Payton's on the hot seat in New Orleans, huh? :wacko: I'll leave it to others to compile a full list of 'safe' coaches but Payton for some reason came right to my mind. B)

Borrowing from another sport, I think the Eagles' situation might be called the "Bobby Cox Conundrum." The Braves have had enough success to keep Cox here (something like 13 straight division titles before last year) but not enough to satisfy any serious fan (1 WS title). Such teams always have a chance, usually a good to great chance, to challenge for a title but for whatever reason, seldom or never end up winning it. Yet it seems foolish to consider firing such a 'successful' manager (or coach) and starting all over, so it goes on and on and on. Sometimes they get over the hump - Tom Landry's Cowboys were derisively called "Next Year's Champions" before they started winning SBs - and sometimes not.

I am not saying that every coach needs a good season to avoid being canned, but there really aren't many coaches around that can feel that the sack is completely beyond the realm of possibility forever. Heck even Tom Landry was fired eventually.

Again I am not saying Reid will be fired or should be fired or anything like that. But without McNabb he has put some more pressure on himself. That's all I am saying. Yeah perhaps ownership might be behind him, but Eagles fans don't have McNabb to boo anymore, so what happens if they turn big time on Reid? Again, what do the Eagles do next if they go say 5-11 and 4-12 in succesive seasons? That's not a rhetorical question, it's what would be the way forward of Kolb turns into a bust, without letting Reid go?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I am not saying that every coach needs a good season to avoid being canned, but there really aren't many coaches around that can feel that the sack is completely beyond the realm of possibility forever. Heck even Tom Landry was fired eventually.

Again I am not saying Reid will be fired or should be fired or anything like that. But without McNabb he has put some more pressure on himself. That's all I am saying. Yeah perhaps ownership might be behind him, but Eagles fans don't have McNabb to boo anymore, so what happens if they turn big time on Reid? Again, what do the Eagles do next if they go say 5-11 and 4-12 in succesive seasons? That's not a rhetorical question, it's what would be the way forward of Kolb turns into a bust, without letting Reid go?

For the most part, Eagles fans already can't stand Reid, and haven't for a long time. Donovan would have gotten it 10x worse if not for the fact that a lot of people blame his failings on Reid's mishandling of his talents and trying to force him into an offense that he's simply not equipped to run. There are a lot of people that think that McNabb could have a lot of success with a different coach, and that Reid could have a lot of success wtih a different QB. Part of Reid's genius (and yes, I do think that he does this at least a bit on purpose) is that he does frustrate the fanbase and acts as a shield for the players. Obviously, QB is too high-profile to hide, but for the most part, he absorbs a lot of the beatings that some of the players would be receiving under normal circumstances. The ownership/ management really doesn't give a rat's ass what the fans think, and they've pretty much made that clear with the Dawkins mis-deal and the Vick signing (among other moves.) They feel that the combination of Andy's coaching and personnel decisions with their fiscal management has made them the "gold standard" (their words, not mine) of the NFL. He's safe no matter what happens.

Hey, who were you dickweeds that said Dan LeFevour would be good? This guy blows!

No doubt about it. The guy's a complete bust. You can always tell how good a QB is going to be after he plays a couple of quarters in preseason games. :rolleyes:

BB52Big.jpg

Preseason is where mid/late-round MAC players shine and get overhyped as Really Being A Steal. You're not supposed to stink up the joint like that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hey, who were you dickweeds that said Dan LeFevour would be good? This guy blows!

Trade you Bradford and his retarded contract for him. If St. Louis is hell bent on running a ball control/game manager offense, they might as well get a QB who is paid as such.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ran across this interesting rule change for 2010 that affects stadiums, not the play on the field. It's from the Falcons' website so that explains the Georgia Dome angle. I fixed an obvious typo, the writer had to mean 'prohibited from', not 'allowed to', otherwise it makes no sense. I've edited out some irrelevant info and added some of my own. My stuff is in italics.

===

Flowery Branch, Ga. — If it seems louder this season inside the Georgia Dome it might not be just because the home team is winning.

In March, the NFL quietly abolished a 21-year-old rule that allowed teams to encourage prohibited teams from encouraging their home crowds to get as loud as possible.

Under the old rules, the franchise was not allowed to display any signage or video messaging that specifically encouraged fans to make noise. Additionally, any club-controlled audio, PA announcements, music, etc, could not occur while the visiting team had the ball with the play clock running.

With the new rules in place the Falcons (and any home team) can now use any available means to encourage fans to get as loud as humanly possible, with the only stipulation being that the in-game messaging must cease when the play clock hits 15 seconds.

White said some trial and error will be in play during the season, with up to 11 different new elements expected to be introduced during the season.

One that won’t be completely foreign to Falcons fans is the decibel meter. AtlantaFalcons.com tracked the peak and average dBs during each home game of the 2008 season, with the thrilling last-second victory over the Chicago Bears as the highpoint of the dBs at just under 120, the sound of operating a jackhammer against concrete.

The in-game decibel meter will be used at critical moments in the game with the hope that with fans seeing how loud they are they will be motivated to get even louder.

The team will also introduce a false start tally board in tandem with the dB meter that shows the dome crowd their impact on the game. (Smart idea!) False start totals will be tracked through the season and with the decibel meter, fans will be encouraged and expected to out-loud themselves each week. It’s also another way to keep fans engaged in a live game that features many television stoppages, often muting the crowd out of a game-changing play.

The tally board and the decibel meter are just two of the tricks White and his team plan to employ to keep fans captivated, the Georgia Domebooming, and the Falcons winning.

“We’re going to use everything within the rules that we can to try and create an even more raucous and overwhelming home field advantage for us,” said White.

The Falcons have already shown that the Georgia Dome is a home for winners in the two years under Head Coach Mike Smith. White believes the raising of restrictions by the NFL around crowd noise will only help continue that trend and perhaps raise the roof on the dome just a little higher.

“A large part of the reason that the Falcons have been 13-3 at home over the last two seasons has been the fans and how engaged they’ve been in the game and how they’ve rallied behind the team,” he said. “In 2010 everybody needs to get ready because we’re going to take it a whole new level. We’re going to turn the Georgia Dome into a place that nobody wants to come to play. These new rules combined with the already incredible fans that we have are going to make it unbelievable inside the Georgia Dome on Sundays.”

===

Another piece on the change.

Hope they're paying attention at the Superdome...

Man that's just corny. What's next - piping in crowd noise a-la WCW?

You shouldn't need to be told when to make noise and when to shut up (though the Eagles do display a "quite please" message on the video board if there is a lot of noise while the offense is in the huddle.)

I've always hated the "lets make noise!!" gimmicks that are used at NBA and NHL games, and even at some MLB games. Yeah, it's crazy, but it's contrived craziness. Just let it happen naturally.

What's next - cowbells and thunderstixx?

One that won’t be completely foreign to Falcons fans is the decibel meter. AtlantaFalcons.com tracked the peak and average dBs during each home game of the 2008 season, with the thrilling last-second victory over the Chicago Bears as the highpoint of the dBs at just under 120, the sound of operating a jackhammer against concrete.

Ah, memories.

Even still, that decibel meter thing was a bit of a footnote on the website back then. Now? That junk is probably going to be front and center.

Man that's just corny. What's next - piping in crowd noise a-la WCW?

You shouldn't need to be told when to make noise and when to shut up (though the Eagles do display a "quite please" message on the video board if there is a lot of noise while the offense is in the huddle.)

I've always hated the "lets make noise!!" gimmicks that are used at NBA and NHL games, and even at some MLB games. Yeah, it's crazy, but it's contrived craziness. Just let it happen naturally.

What's next - cowbells and thunderstixx?

I think it's embarassing how it seems that it's louder during a Bulls game when they show the "make noise" message or stuff like that than there's a big play. You can tell while watching a game on TV when there is one of these messages because it just gets loud for no reason. And this doesn't even include the crowd going crazier for their Big Macs than anything else.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'm sure most of Arizona is wishing Kurt Warner would come out of retirement. I have a feeling we'll see Skelton as starter in Week 8, because Leinart and Derek Anderson are just awful

Should've traded for McNabb.

Another item I just ran across...ESPN is airing a Saints special tonight with Jon Gruden. He gave Payton his first NFL job so they go way back. From Pat Yasinskas' NFC South blog:

===

There will be some must-see television for New Orleans Saints fans Tuesday. ESPN will air a one-hour special called Gruden’s Champ Camp at 7 p.m. ET. It will also re-air at 11 p.m. ET on ESPN2.

Jon Gruden the former coach and current ESPN analyst was out at Saints camp when I was in early August and he got to spend a lot of time with coach Sean Payton and Drew Brees -- that’s a trio of some of the greatest offensive minds of our generation.

Gruden was given great access because he and Payton are old buddies and used to coach together as assistants in Philadelphia. The show also will feature audio of Payton who wore a microphone on the first day of training camp and there’s going to be some rare video of Gruden and Payton from back when they were with the Eagles.

===

So for anyone who hasn't had their fill of the Saints, there ya go. B)

BTW, I agree on the 'make some noise' business in the stadiums. We went to a couple of Georgia Force games and that was a MAJOR turnoff.

What was of more interest to me was the possible interference with opposing offenses with playing music and so on up until the play clock hits 15 seconds.

Archived