NEW.ERA

2010 NFL Season

The game could still be played somewhere else, as I've heard the bathrooms at TCF Bank Stadium are not insulated, and the pipes in the bathrooms could possibly be frozen, which would be an issue.

Oh, and if I was 18 and lived in Minneapolis, I'd sure as hell be out there shoveling snow for the experience.

This is why the NFL has not committed to the game there as of tonight. In fact, the Vikings are trying hard to save the game there for so many reasons. If they have to relocate, they prefer Atlanta! because Indy, Detroit, and St. Louis are "too close for Bears fans".

On the negative side, there's a Hawks game that night, and I want no part of all that traffic that'll be downtown that night.

On the bright side, if tickets were free for this game....screw the Hawks, I'm going next door!

I dont get it, the Vikings have no shot in that game, is this some sick twisted hope that Brettness plays in primetime the rest of his caeer.

Eagles-Vikings 12/26 game has been flexed to SNF... for some reason.

I dont get it, the Vikings have no shot in that game, is this some sick twisted hope that Brettness plays in primetime the rest of his caeer.

That game was originally Bengals/Chargers. NO@ATL play Monday night. I think that the Jets and Colts have already played the max number of primetime games too.

And apparently Vick = Ratings

A big-market battle of NFC East rivals scored NBC's second-largest NFL audience since resuming coverage in 2006.

Sunday's Eagles/Cowboys game drew a 15.2 final rating and 25.728 million viewers on NBC, up 20% in ratings and 23% in viewership from Week 14 last year (PHI/NYG: 12.7, 20.882 mil), and up 88% and 98%, respectively, from Week 14 in 2008 (WSH/BAL: 8.1, 13.286 mil).

The Eagles' win ranks as the third-highest rated, second-most viewed regular season NFL telecast on NBC since the network resumed airing games in 2006. Only the Vikings/Saints Kickoff Game (16.5) and Vikings/Packers in Week 7 (15.4) drew better ratings, and only Vikings/Saints drew more viewers (27.485 mil).

That and FOX probably didn't want to give up the Giants @ Packers in the 4:15pm slot

That game was originally Bengals/Chargers. NO@ATL play Monday night. I think that the Jets and Colts have already played the max number of primetime games too.

A big-market battle of NFC East rivals scored NBC's second-largest NFL audience since resuming coverage in 2006.

Sunday's Eagles/Cowboys game drew a 15.2 final rating and 25.728 million viewers on NBC, up 20% in ratings and 23% in viewership from Week 14 last year (PHI/NYG: 12.7, 20.882 mil), and up 88% and 98%, respectively, from Week 14 in 2008 (WSH/BAL: 8.1, 13.286 mil).

The Eagles' win ranks as the third-highest rated, second-most viewed regular season NFL telecast on NBC since the network resumed airing games in 2006. Only the Vikings/Saints Kickoff Game (16.5) and Vikings/Packers in Week 7 (15.4) drew better ratings, and only Vikings/Saints drew more viewers (27.485 mil).

There's a difference the Eagles were playing America's Team. I don't think they will get near the ratings with Vick vs Patrick Ramsey.

There's a difference the Eagles were playing America's Team. I don't think they will get near the ratings with Vick vs Patrick Ramsey.

Click on that link (for the first time) and see that Eagles/Giants and Eagles/Cowboys both had over 23Mm viewers. For comparison, the Oct. 10 game (PHL/SF) had Kolb as their QB against your boy Alex Smith.

I'm just happy there's going to be outdoor football in Minnesota again, albeit for one game. I haven't seen an outdoor game in Minnesota at the professional level in my life and growing up on NFL Films I've been promised awesomeness. I hope it snows a lot.

Yes, on Dec. 20, 2010. And the last outdoor game in Minnesota was...Dec. 20, 1981. Given the whole set of circumstances, that's just a very weird coincidence.

BTW, somebody was grumbling (rightly so) about playoff seedings and division winners with losing records. NFL Network is reporting the league is considering a previously-defeated proposal submitted by Atlanta's Rich McKay that would have playoff positions 3-6 seeded by record instead of division winners automatically having a home game. So this season for example, if the playoffs started today St. Louis would play at New Orleans instead of the other way around. Assuming the division winner would win any ties, instead of today's 3 through 6 seeds being Eagles-Rams-Saints-Giants in the NFC, it would be Saints-Eagles-Giants-Rams.

I'm just happy there's going to be outdoor football in Minnesota again, albeit for one game. I haven't seen an outdoor game in Minnesota at the professional level in my life and growing up on NFL Films I've been promised awesomeness. I hope it snows a lot.

Yes, on Dec. 20, 2010. And the last outdoor game in Minnesota was...Dec. 20, 1981. Given the whole set of circumstances, that's just a very weird coincidence.

BTW, somebody was grumbling (rightly so) about playoff seedings and division winners with losing records. NFL Network is reporting the league is considering a previously-defeated proposal submitted by Atlanta's Rich McKay that would have playoff positions 3-6 seeded by record instead of division winners automatically having a home game. So this season for example, if the playoffs started today St. Louis would play at New Orleans instead of the other way around. Assuming the division winner would win any ties, instead of today's 3 through 6 seeds being Eagles-Rams-Saints-Giants in the NFC, it would be Saints-Eagles-Giants-Rams.

Or we could tell the Saints that they should have bothered to win that game against the Falcons or Arizona or Cleveland (WTF?!) or the Giants that maybe they should consider not getting shelled by crappy Dallas, Indianapolis, and Tennessee teams. It's not that hard. If you aren't getting that home playoff game you think you should have, it's probably because you lost a game or two somewhere that you shouldn't have.

The Bears filing a protest makes this seem more like negotiations for Mayweather v. Pacquiao.

Dear Bears: suck it up; you're professional football players. You should be able to handle hard ground for one of your 16 games. (Thought: Maybe they should just leave the snow on the field to soften the blows?)

NFL Network is reporting the league is considering a previously-defeated proposal submitted by Atlanta's Rich McKay that would have playoff positions 3-6 seeded by record instead of division winners automatically having a home game. So this season for example, if the playoffs started today St. Louis would play at New Orleans instead of the other way around. Assuming the division winner would win any ties, instead of today's 3 through 6 seeds being Eagles-Rams-Saints-Giants in the NFC, it would be Saints-Eagles-Giants-Rams.

In favour of that. Something similar should happen in the NHL. I never liked the Southeast Division champ getting an automatic 3rd seed, especially back in 2002.

This.

I have one more reason to hate the Bears.

This.

I have one more reason to hate the Bears.

Their superior record wasn't enough, eh? :P

Agreed. Having to ask fans to do manual labour on your behalf isn't a good sign.

Oh, it's just as much a publicity stunt as anything else. You have to admit, the whole thing's adorably Minnesotan. Mrs. Olafssen made enough hot dish for the whole team!

The Bears protesting anybody's field condition is hilarious, especially after Jay Cutler protested his own.

Agreed. Having to ask fans to do manual labour on your behalf isn't a good sign.

Oh, it's just as much a publicity stunt as anything else. You have to admit, the whole thing's adorably Minnesotan. Mrs. Olafssen made enough hot dish for the whole team!

Didn't think of it that way. Will there be a nice spread in the church basement for afterwards?

So basically - you're being a little too hard on them in this case. It's a one-off situation and since sports teams rely on event and facility staff who (most anyway) only do the job part time in addition to their real jobs, it's extremely difficult to put together a contingency plan to deal with this kind of thing.

I stand corrected then.

The Bears protesting anybody's field condition is hilarious, especially after Jay Cutler protested his own.

Some people did give up on waiting for the honor of shoveling.

Megan Steinke, 18, who lives near Dinkytown, got to the stadium at 7 a.m. After more than a two-hour wait, her line had barely budged.

"I've just had it," Steinke said. "I'm going home and warming up."

Some shoveling recruits began arriving as early at 6 a.m. By 9 a.m., most of the many hundreds were still waiting to enter the stadium and get to work. Some were leaving, obviously thwarted by the time it was taking to be checked in. Would-be laborers were being divided into two groups before being allowed entry -- those with a shovel and those without

Star Tribune

Or we could tell the Saints that they should have bothered to win that game against the Falcons or Arizona or Cleveland (WTF?!) or the Giants that maybe they should consider not getting shelled by crappy Dallas, Indianapolis, and Tennessee teams. It's not that hard. If you aren't getting that home playoff game you think you should have, it's probably because you lost a game or two somewhere that you shouldn't have.

I would agree with you if we were talking about getting into the playoffs. However the Saints have already proven (or will in this scenario), that they are a playoff team. I don't think they should be "penalized" for finishing second in a better division. I'm a little torn on this issue. I think it is a good idea. I don't mind an 8-8 or 7-9 team getting into the playoffs, but it does kinda bother me that they would get a home game. After all they were already extremely lucky to get into the playoffs since their division as a whole was so weak.

The game could still be played somewhere else, as I've heard the bathrooms at TCF Bank Stadium are not insulated, and the pipes in the bathrooms could possibly be frozen, which would be an issue.

Not to mention the traffic and parking nightmare, as there is nowhere near enough parking space available near the stadium to accommodate 50,000 fans. (This, by the way, was intentional on the U's part, as they want to discourage tailgating and encourage fans to use shuttle buses to and from the stadium, but the buses only run for Gopher games.) Downtown's where all the parking is, which is one reason why the Vikings want their new stadium downtown and not to share TCFBS on any sort of long-term basis.

As for moving the game out of Minnesota, the only alternate venue that has been seriously discussed up to now is Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy, which is right down the road from Chicago. It would amount to another home game for the Bears. Also, the Vikings are planning on having a special ceremony for their 50 greatest players of all time during pregame or halftime. Would they still do that playing in Indianapolis?

The Vikings and the NFL will (literally) move mountains (or snow) and brave the fires of holy hell itself to pull off this game at TCFBS, if for no other reason for PR and the new stadium effort's sake. The U of M football program stands to gain from it too, as TCFBS is their new crown jewel and supposed to be this huge recruiting tool, but they don't get very many opportunities like this to showcase it to a national TV audience.