2010 NFL Season

NEW.ERA

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's one thing for the NFL to reward division winners (especially those who are 7-9) an automatic spot in the playoffs, but to award them a home playoffs game over a Wild Card team who's got three or four more wins than them? something similar is going on over in the AFC as well, where both Wild Card teams will finish with better records than the botton two division winners. This is somethin the NFL has gotta look at over the offseason.

I disagree. If the division winner is so poor, shouldn't the wild card team have no problem beating them no matter where the game is played? This is a fluke season and it will all even itself out in the end after the Rams or Seahawks get bounced in the first round by the Saints.

I agree that all division winners should have an automatic spot in the playoffs. However, I believe teams should EARN homefield for the first round. Look at what;s going on now. The Saints, Ravens and Jets will all finish with 11 or 12 wins. But because they're locked in divisions with other 12+ win teams (NE, PIT, ATL), they are almost guaranteed to play all their games on the road in order to "reward" 7-8-9 game division winners home-field. It's crap.

Then why even have divisions in the first place? Why not just have two tables, take the top 6 teams and seed accordingly. I like the system the way it is. If you want a home playoff game, be the best team in your division. Who cares how great or poor the division next you is. Take care of business and beat the teams your division if you want to be the best. And guess what.... If you're the best team in your division, yet you suck, you're going to get embarrassed in front of your home fans wildcard weekend.

Tebow's starting vs. The Raiders, I'm getting in my bomb shelter.

And goes on a 40 yard run for a TD. Most of you are too young to remember a Bears QB named Bobby Douglass but Tebow reminds me of Douglass. Bobby Douglass was a good runner and not much else. Douglass used to hold the single season rushing record for NFL QBs. Anyway, Tebow reminds me of Douglass.

t_39826.jpg

I'm not...especially since the Saints ended up with him for a couple of years.

Picture+28.jpg

Can anyone who is a Seahawks fan here explain to me how the hell the freaking 49ers, a team Seattle curbstomped in the season opener in Seattle, all of a sudden appears and drops 40!

This doesn't make sense. How can the crappy Niners be this good all of a sudden?

Whatever... Bring on the Falcons.

You think Pete could inspire his boys for just one lousy week and beat a team that just flew 2600 miles and is looking ahead to a MNF showdown with their bitter division rivals? Just askin'. B)

I'm saying this now: BlueSky has jinxed the Seahawks... How else can you explain what Atlanta is doing right now at Qwest Field, hm?

No, Seattle just isn't very good and the Falcons are fantastic this year. So far.

Falcons win again. Thanks to the Giants providing the NFL with the Choke of the Year, the Falcons are the first NFC team to clinch a playoff spot. All they have to do to clinch the division is win one of the next two games at home: Saints on MNF, & the Panthers. Surely they're getting one out of those two. I damn sure want both wins, though I SO HAPPEEE

Just 3 years ago, this team was in 100% George Clinton funk after the Vick-Petrino atomic bomb hit the franchise. Now, 11-5 in '08, 9-7 in '09, and already 12 victories in 2010. Never in my wildest dreams did I think the Falcons would be at this point in 2010. I'm ecstatic as hell.

EDIT: The Seahawks are 6-8, yet still tied for the divisional lead. lolNFCWest.

Me neither. :cursing:

I'm very disappointed in the Saints. Weather didn't even enter the equation yesterday, the Ravens are just tougher and ran the ball right down the Saints' throats. They gave up 208 rushing yards to Baltimore and 233 yards from scrimmage to Ray Rice. Michael Turner has to be licking his chops. :mad:

Incredibly, the Saints can still win the South and the #1 seed. All they have to do is win out and have Atlanta lose to Carolina at home in the last game.

Yeah, I'm laughing too at the prospect of that happening. :D

The Saints should win in the Wild Card round but if the next step is an outdoor game at Chicago, NY, or Philly, all bets are off.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

4 wins in the last 6 games for the Bills. I know they still have a ton of work to do infusing talent into this roster, but the improvement this team has shown since the 0-8 start has been great to see. Really enjoying Chan Gailey as a HC.

I told myself after a few good games by Fitz that I wouldn't do this, but I'm getting closer and closer to saying we don't need to draft a QB in the first round next year. Never mind the fact that if the Bills keep winning they have no shot at Luck or Newton anyways. There are much bigger needs in the D-Front-7 and Off. Tackle.

So how many of us had the Jets going into Heinz Field and beating the Steelers? Especially after the Jets had scored a whopping 19 points in their last three games? After their loss to Miami last week I left the Jets for dead.

I think you're a bit off with that stat, but you are dead on about the Jets having all been left for dead. It was great statement win for the team, rolling into the 'Burgh and silencing 70,000 Terrible Towels. One of NYJ's best wins of the year. With ten wins already and the division out of reach, it's not so much about winnings games now, but more about priming Mark Sanchez for another playoff run. Dude needs to get back to the level he was on during the first half of the year.

I am indeed. I misread one of the scores. It should have said 9 points in their last two games. I changed your 26-10 win against Cincinnati to a 26-10 loss. Sorry about that.

BB52Big.jpg

Seriously, this is ridiculous. Favre...go away. Get out of football forever. I get that he's a legend and will go down as one of the best, but I'm getting physically ill each time I see his name in a headline. The guy needs to be locked away from anything-NFL related until his HOF induction, then give him 15 minutes and let his memory die out in the annals of history.

I am tired of Favre in all aspects. If I could, I would've have given him a graceful retirement with the Packers, but instead I'm just a guy and he's just a selfish douchebag.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Vikes must be that desperate for a QB tonight, hm?

They need a guinea pig to test out the stadium's surface :P

Yeah, but I'd rather see the guinea pig be the rookie QB then the old ego driven 'I must play at all times!' QB whose arm would probably shatter on the frozen turf of TCF Bank Stadium.

It's one thing for the NFL to reward division winners (especially those who are 7-9) an automatic spot in the playoffs, but to award them a home playoffs game over a Wild Card team who's got three or four more wins than them? something similar is going on over in the AFC as well, where both Wild Card teams will finish with better records than the botton two division winners. This is somethin the NFL has gotta look at over the offseason.

I disagree. If the division winner is so poor, shouldn't the wild card team have no problem beating them no matter where the game is played? This is a fluke season and it will all even itself out in the end after the Rams or Seahawks get bounced in the first round by the Saints.

I agree that all division winners should have an automatic spot in the playoffs. However, I believe teams should EARN homefield for the first round. Look at what;s going on now. The Saints, Ravens and Jets will all finish with 11 or 12 wins. But because they're locked in divisions with other 12+ win teams (NE, PIT, ATL), they are almost guaranteed to play all their games on the road in order to "reward" 7-8-9 game division winners home-field. It's crap.

Then why even have divisions in the first place? Why not just have two tables, take the top 6 teams and seed accordingly. I like the system the way it is. If you want a home playoff game, be the best team in your division. Who cares how great or poor the division next you is. Take care of business and beat the teams your division if you want to be the best. And guess what.... If you're the best team in your division, yet you suck, you're going to get embarrassed in front of your home fans wildcard weekend.

I have to agree with Cujo on this one. Yes, the division winner that sucks will get embarrassed at home. However the better wild card team is forced to play 3 straight road games if they want to make the Super Bowl. I know its been done before, but that's an extreme disadvantage. Now to an extent I agree with you that they shouldn't complain because they lost their division. But at the same time they may have had a much harder division to play in. I have no probably with a 7-9 division winner making the playoffs, but it does bother me some that they will be given a home game.

I have to agree with Cujo on this one. Yes, the division winner that sucks will get embarrassed at home. However the better wild card team is forced to play 3 straight road games if they want to make the Super Bowl. I know its been done before, but that's an extreme disadvantage. Now to an extent I agree with you that they shouldn't complain because they lost their division. But at the same time they may have had a much harder division to play in. I have no probably with a 7-9 division winner making the playoffs, but it does bother me some that they will be given a home game.

This is clearly the crux of the issue. We may end up with a Wild Card team that would have won the NFC West by 5 games. Obviously the wild card team has done far more to earn a home game than a 7-9 or 8-8 division "champion."

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

This is clearly the crux of the issue. We may end up with a Wild Card team that would have won the NFC West by 5 games. Obviously the wild card team has done far more to earn a home game than a 7-9 or 8-8 division "champion."

The whole point of a division is to have a reward for winning it; that reward is a higher seed and a home game in the first round. The way to eliminate this issue would be to have no divisions, but that isn't a good idea.

Seriously, this is ridiculous. Favre...go away. Get out of football forever. I get that he's a legend and will go down as one of the best, but I'm getting physically ill each time I see his name in a headline. The guy needs to be locked away from anything-NFL related until his HOF induction, then give him 15 minutes and let his memory die out in the annals of history.

I am tired of Favre in all aspects. If I could, I would've have given him a graceful retirement with the Packers, but instead I'm just a guy and he's just a selfish douchebag.

Amen. Thankfully his streak's over. So he has no reason to come back next season.

I can't wait for ESPN Monday Night Football to go buck wild if Favre starts tonight on the "frozen tundra". I can see it scrolled across the screen in bold jumbo letters, ala TD #500: !!! VINTAGE BRETT FAVRE MAGIC !!!

6uXNWAo.png

The whole point of a division is to have a reward for winning it; that reward is a higher seed and a home game in the first round. The way to eliminate this issue would be to have no divisions, but that isn't a good idea.

Really the whole point of a division is so every region of the country is guaranteed to be represented in the playoffs. It'd be bad for TV if only the east coast teams made the playoffs.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived