2010 NFL Season

NEW.ERA

In the NFL, your division schedule is 37.5% of your season. I wouldn't say anything is "set up" on 37.5%. At least back in the old 6 division format, a team played HALF of the games within the division. Look at the Raiders, they aren't going to the playoffs, but they worst they can do is 5-1 in the AFC West. The best either the Chiefs or Chargers can do is 3-3. If the NFL schedule was set up on divisional play, then wouldn't the Raiders be the AFC West playoff representative?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the NFL, your division schedule is 37.5% of your season. I wouldn't say anything is "set up" on 37.5%. At least back in the old 6 division format, a team played HALF of the games within the division. Look at the Raiders, they aren't going to the playoffs, but they worst they can do is 5-1 in the AFC West. The best either the Chiefs or Chargers can do is 3-3. If the NFL schedule was set up on divisional play, then wouldn't the Raiders be the AFC West playoff representative?

This. I posted in one of the realignment threads about how bigger divisions would create more divisional matchups and then make the "division championship" mean something other than "team that won more games than other teams that they are arbitrarily grouped with." Division games really mean very little any more, and will mean much, much less when the schedule expands to 18 games. At least now they play big roles in tie breakers.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Rex Ryan is the best thing to happen to NFL coaching since his father.

FYP.

Any team headed by a son of Buddy Ryan's instantly becomes my second favorite team. I hope Rob Ryan doesn't get hired by the Giants or Cowboys.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Looks like Childress won't have to be unemployed any longer than he wants to be.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/Reid_on_Childress_Im_here_with_open_arms.html

It's one thing for the NFL to reward division winners (especially those who are 7-9) an automatic spot in the playoffs, but to award them a home playoffs game over a Wild Card team who's got three or four more wins than them? something similar is going on over in the AFC as well, where both Wild Card teams will finish with better records than the botton two division winners. This is somethin the NFL has gotta look at over the offseason.

I disagree. If the division winner is so poor, shouldn't the wild card team have no problem beating them no matter where the game is played? This is a fluke season and it will all even itself out in the end after the Rams or Seahawks get bounced in the first round by the Saints.

I agree that all division winners should have an automatic spot in the playoffs. However, I believe teams should EARN homefield for the first round. Look at what;s going on now. The Saints, Ravens and Jets will all finish with 11 or 12 wins. But because they're locked in divisions with other 12+ win teams (NE, PIT, ATL), they are almost guaranteed to play all their games on the road in order to "reward" 7-8-9 game division winners home-field. It's crap.

Then why even have divisions in the first place? Why not just have two tables, take the top 6 teams and seed accordingly. I like the system the way it is. If you want a home playoff game, be the best team in your division. Who cares how great or poor the division next you is. Take care of business and beat the teams your division if you want to be the best. And guess what.... If you're the best team in your division, yet you suck, you're going to get embarrassed in front of your home fans wildcard weekend.

I have to agree with Cujo on this one. Yes, the division winner that sucks will get embarrassed at home. However the better wild card team is forced to play 3 straight road games if they want to make the Super Bowl. I know its been done before, but that's an extreme disadvantage. Now to an extent I agree with you that they shouldn't complain because they lost their division. But at the same time they may have had a much harder division to play in. I have no probably with a 7-9 division winner making the playoffs, but it does bother me some that they will be given a home game.

Solution: Don't lose to Atlanta at home by a field goal. Or :censored: ing beat Arizona and Cleveland.

Otherwise...

DealWithItMokyu.gif

/Division winner will be 8-8.

I have no problem using that argument for the Packers (or whoever the first team out of the playoffs happens to be), but I don't think it applys in this situation. In this situation the Saints have proven they are a playoff team. It seems really odd for a Rams fan (I'm just using them because they are the NFC West leader at the moment) to say if you want home field advantage don't lose to the Falcons, Cardinals, and Browns. While the Rams lost to 2 of those teams and also the Lions (and 5 other teams).

I think alot of people underestimate how hard it is to go on the road in the NFL. With that said, yes the #6 seed in the NFC has no excuses for losing to the NFC West leader at home regardless. But it makes it that much harder to go on the road against the #1 seed the following week. You're penalizing them for having a harder schedule.

No, we're penalizing them for dropping the ball in the regular season. Every team controls its destiny at the start of the season and the NFL is crystal clear about what it takes to get a home playoff game; you can only blame yourself if you lose.

Since when is winning 11 or 12 games out of 16 "dropping the ball"? Ironically, in trying to make your point you ended up making mine. If anyone dropped the ball in the regular season, it's a 7-9 or 8-8 team who is only in the playoffs to begin with because the other teams in their division happen to be worse! The point here is that home playoff games should be earned.

If you are a fabulously good team that "deserves" a home game because you are a fabulously good team, you should win all of your games. All of them. Otherwise you are vulnerable, not so special, and get back in line with everyone else who dropped the ball at home against a Division Rival.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Just another day at the office for the New York Jets....

Coach Ryan questioned on foot fetish videos featuring his wife. http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5946852

Hard Knocks may just become Jets F***ed Up Crazy Time from now on

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Jets have called a news conference tomorrow at 1pm to unveil the new helmet logo for next year. It has been leaked, and is already being referred to as the "Sexy Rexy" logo...

97eeed97.png

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Who's to say he doesn't have one of those, too? The next video to leak will be him approaching a ziggurat of cupcakes, holding the camcorder and saying "you really take care of your sprinkles."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Who's to say he doesn't have one of those, too? The next video to leak will be him approaching a ziggurat of cupcakes, holding the camcorder and saying "you really take care of your sprinkles."

In all my years of going to college the most important thing I learned was this; "Never say or do anything in front of a camera or microphone that you don't want to share with the entire world." Good advice then. Good advice now.

BB52Big.jpg

xzibit-happy.jpg

Of all the coaches in the NFL to get caught doing something like this...Sexy Rexy was the first one to come to mind.

Any of you Atlanta-area members going to Saints-Falcons?

Also, thought this was a nice story about how Saints coaches and players spend time with their families following home games.

===

The post-game playtime has become one of Payton's proudest - albeit least heralded - achievements during his five-year tenure as head coach. At some point in 2006, Payton said his then-6-year-old son Connor asked him to play a game of "Catch" on the Superdome field, a Thomas Morstead punt away from the VIP tent. Payton obliged. What began as a simple game of father-and-son "Catch" has mushroomed into a free-wheeling football festival for a litany of players, coaches and staff members and their families. The offspring of grounds crew and concession workers intermingle with the boys of millionaire athletes and coaches.

The games usually are split into two groups: A pickup game between the older boys, in which Payton often plays quarterback for both sides; and a collection of individual father-son games for younger kids.

For the Saints players and coaches, the family time is a welcome decompression from the intense battle waged minutes earlier. "It takes you away from the game and lets you relax a little bit and let your guard down and just be a dad," TE David Thomas said. "You're not thinking about football. It doesn't matter if I played really good or I played really bad. At that point I'm just happy to be on the field with my boys and having a good time."

For the boys, it's a chance to play on the same field as their famous fathers. And for the mothers, it's a chance to see father-son bonding in one of the most spectacular settings in the world. "It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for them," said Erin Shanle as Scott played with Jagger, 6, and Kingston, 2. "It's unique and special for them to be on the field where their daddy plays games."

Even the biggest Saints game in Superdome history didn't cancel the ritual. It only enhanced the experience.

"Here it was the NFC championship game, we're going to the Super Bowl and there's confetti everywhere and Connor was like, 'Dad, we're not going to be able to play, there's paper all over the field,'" Payton said. "I said, 'We're going to be able to play. The footing's just not going to be as good.'"

===

Full Article

9147227-large.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived