2010 NFL Season

NEW.ERA

About the new OT, just learned a couple of interesting points, one of which is pretty obvious, the other not so much. First, if a team kicks off to start OT then their defense forces a safety, they win because the other team obviously had their possession. I assume then that if there's a turnover, the team gaining possession needs only a FG to win because again, the other team had its possession.

But how about this situation? (Excerpt from foxsports.com fan chat with Mike Pereira):

===

[Comment From Tony Tony : ]

I heard this morning that if a team attempts an onside kick to start overtime and recovers, that counts as a possession for the team being kicked to, so if the recovering team kicks a field goal in that situation, they win. True?

Tuesday January 4, 2011 1:19 Tony

1:21 Mike Pereira: You are ALL OVER THIS, Tony! This is where the word "opportunity" comes in. If I am the kicking team and I kick the ball to you, that is your opportunity.

If you fail to recover the onside kick or if you muff the kick and the kicking team recovers, that is considered your opportunity. Therefore, in your scenario the fact that the receiving team had the opportunity to recover that onside kick means that they have had their possession.

If the offense then goes on to kick a field goal on their first possession -- game over.

===

Wow...you can win by recovering on onsides kick and driving for a FG. Would anyone ever do it? Suppose you have the best D in the league, would you risk giving the other team a short field knowing they can't beat you with a FG?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing Lewis is going to get complete control of the organization in terms of personnel if he's to stay, that's basically what I feel like is gonna keep him in Cincy, he wants it all 100%. Which may or may not be a good thing.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I would welcome McDaniels as Offensive Coordinator. Hell, I'd welcome you as OC after 2 years with Dabol.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

No agreement made in a meeting with Mike Brown?! You're kidding me! :rolleyes:

The guy is the biggest :censored: owner in sports and one of his many idiotic tactics is to scream and yell in negotiations to get the other person to back down.

I know the guy who used to sit in on the negotiations for the team's radio deal and no matter what figure they gave him Mike Brown would walk out of the meeting.

See ya Marvin.

Edit: Upset alert. Marvin Lewis will return to coach the Bengals in 2011.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lewis-returns-for-record-breaking-ninth-season/086eea7e-4c34-4e7a-a060-500fcb76ed4a

PvO6ZWJ.png

BTW, the site also pointed out that the Saints-Seahawks game will be the first played under the new St. Brett Memorial Overtime Rule (my name for it, not theirs). So remember, 3 won't win it in OT any more, at least not on the first possession. Can't wait to see the reaction when, as inevitably will happen, a team kicks a FG that would have advanced them under the old rules but they end up losing under the new.

Which makes me think, does that change coaches' decision-making on 4th down in OT? Say it's 4th and goal at the two. If you get a TD, you win now; if you kick a FG you could still lose the game. If you go for it and don't get it, you have them pinned back and can play field position. What would you do?

Hopefully people will say "The old rule was bull- :censored:. It's nice to see that it takes more than winning the toss and getting a couple first downs to win a playoff game in OT." They won't say that, but I'm hoping they will. More likely it will be met with the same sort of breathless hysteria that a 7-9 team making the playoffs was met with. This is the NFL. We are NFL fans. Overreacting is what we do. :D

I like the rule itself, but I don't like that its being enacted for the playoffs. The playoffs should be consistent with the regular season when it comes to rules. I won't overreact if the rule does come into effect this postseason. However I will insist that it becomes a part of the next regular season, which I'm doing now anyway.

Well I'm sure Roger Goodell will take your concerns into consideration. "However I will insist that it becomes a part of the next regular season."What are you going to do, send an email to the league office? Post it to your twitter account? Bitch about it on Facebook? Or worse, here? No offense dude, but that post is nothing short of hilarious. Thank goodness you won't overreact.

What the :censored: are some of you people smoking?

LOL, I was talking more about the extent of bitching I will do on this board. Which is about the only "bitching" I do about sports at all. I would think most people that have read the majority of my posts here would realize that I'm not very serious about sports. Not sure what it is in this thread, but most people seem to be completely misjudging the amount of concern I'm putting into these playoff issues. I must be typing in a different tone, than I intend to. Just to be clear:

-I feel the any division winner deserves a spot in the playoffs, but not necessarily a home game.

-The rules for the playoffs should be consistent with with regular season.

-I don't plan to lose any sleep or take any action to skew things toward my opinion. I'm not going to take my concerns to any social networks. Nor would I waste the time to contact Goodell. I could honestly care less.

About the new OT, just learned a couple of interesting points, one of which is pretty obvious, the other not so much. First, if a team kicks off to start OT then their defense forces a safety, they win because the other team obviously had their possession. I assume then that if there's a turnover, the team gaining possession needs only a FG to win because again, the other team had its possession.

But how about this situation? (Excerpt from foxsports.com fan chat with Mike Pereira):

===

I heard this morning that if a team attempts an onside kick to start overtime and recovers, that counts as a possession for the team being kicked to, so if the recovering team kicks a field goal in that situation, they win. True?

1:21 Mike Pereira: You are ALL OVER THIS, Tony! This is where the word "opportunity" comes in. If I am the kicking team and I kick the ball to you, that is your opportunity.

If you fail to recover the onside kick or if you muff the kick and the kicking team recovers, that is considered your opportunity. Therefore, in your scenario the fact that the receiving team had the opportunity to recover that onside kick means that they have had their possession.

If the offense then goes on to kick a field goal on their first possession -- game over.

===

Wow...you can win by recovering on onsides kick and driving for a FG. Would anyone ever do it? Suppose you have the best D in the league, would you risk giving the other team a short field knowing they can't beat you with a FG?

If you have such a great defense, you should have no reservations about giving the other team the ball, knowing you'll get the ball back....

===

===

Or you might consider if you kick the field goal on your first possession, trying an onside kick to follow, knowing it's game over if you recover it.

LvZYtbZ.png

Cable was still ten under .500 as head coach, and Al probably thinks a lot of that Campbell/Gradkowski waffling cost the team games, so it's not completely indefensible. The fact that he went 6-0 against cupcake teams but 2-8 on the harder part of the schedule just shows that he's not the guy you go forth with.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Cable was still ten under .500 as head coach, and Al probably thinks a lot of that Campbell/Gradkowski waffling cost the team games, so it's not completely indefensible. The fact that he went 6-0 against cupcake teams but 2-8 on the harder part of the schedule just shows that he's not the guy you go forth with.

Any other team in the NFL, and that point holds water. However...these are DA RRAAIIDAHHZ we talkin' bout here--and Senile Al. And, the total record during his tenure really only tells part of the story...when he took over, that team was in shambles, so it'd only be fitting that Cable lost a lot initially...but ain't a fan in America that can say that team hasn't showed some improvement over the past two seasons, from when cable took over up to this point. AND the team finished with a non-losing record for the first time in a couple years.

So, that said, if Cable ain't the guy to go forth with, who else out there is? Who the hell else out there would want to coach this team? Under Senile Al, no less?

Don't worry, I'll wait...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Hey Buc, what an unexpectedly good year for your Buccaneers, man. Meant to mention that before. Nobody in their right mind would have predicted 10 wins this year and Freeman is very impressive. Next year's NFC South is going to be a dogfight, especially if the Panthers come up with a capable coach and somebody to play QB.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived