2010 NFL Season

NEW.ERA

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Antonio Cromartie says, in reference to Rex Ryan's comment this week that Brady "points" when he scores, apparently to taunt opponents:

"We see that a lot. He does it a lot," Cromartie said. "That's the kind of guy he is. We really don't give a damn, to tell you the truth."

Okay, what kind of guy is Brady?

"An ass----.

"---- him."

He would also go onto say

"I hate them," Cromartie said. "I don't care. I hate them."

Brady or the Patriots?

"Both," he said.

"Everything is personal with me and the Patriots and what they did to us," Cromartie said. "So, I really don't care. I don't have too much to say about them. I'm just ready to play ball on Sunday."

So who's the next Jet to make a stupid comment this week about the Patriots?

Not that New England needs it, as they just continue to win games, but does 'bulletin board material' really inspire teams to play harder?

"Well, we were just going to take the field and just go through the motions, but since he/they said THAT about us...."

The Patriots are handling this well by not taking the bait. The Jets will be the the Jets. This time, they just need to let the talk happen ON THE FIELD.

I honestly applaud the Jets. I'm so sick of the "Patriot Way" and "close to the vest" and "do your job" talk that surrounds the Patriots, because they're nowhere near as classy as the media hypes them up to be. Everything from Brady's "glance at the refs when a defender comes near" routine, to Belichick's a-holish treatment of the press, to Spygate, it's all completely classless. The "classy" image is the product of the sports media's collective boner for all things Northeastern.

If the Patriots were a West Coast team, Belichick would be slaughtered weekly in the national media.

I honestly applaud the Jets. I'm so sick of the "Patriot Way" and "close to the vest" and "do your job" talk that surrounds the Patriots, because they're nowhere near as classy as the media hypes them up to be. Everything from Brady's "glance at the refs when a defender comes near" routine, to Belichick's a-holish treatment of the press, to Spygate, it's all completely classless. The "classy" image is the product of the sports media's collective boner for all things Northeastern.

If the Patriots were a West Coast team, Belichick would be slaughtered weekly in the national media.

All that + 3 Lombardis in the 2000s = media suckfest.

Objectively speaking, one really can't argue with the methods, if one takes into account those three NFL championships.

On the other side...there's a definitely a certain arrogance about the team. BUUUUTTTT....when you've won as much as they have, it kinda happens. And until someone knocks them back off their perch, that Patriot swag gon' keep rolling.

(And am I actually defending the Patriots here??? :wacko: )

If this score holds and Seattle wins, I'll be curious to see the argument that ends up blaming this on the NFL and the fact that a 7-9 team is in the playoffs.

I blame the loss on a defense that apparently thought just showing up and putting on their uniforms was enough.

But...as stated in the playoffs thread, this is Boise State-OU all over again. There's no doubt the Saints (or whoever) would have had a better shot vs. a real playoff team (Giants or Bucs) because the Saints, at least the D, had already chalked up this game as a win when they deplaned at Sea-Tac. You want proof? I watched the proof a few weeks ago from section 323 in the Georgia Dome when the very same defense that just laid down for the Seahawks held Atlanta to 7 points in just as hostile an environment.

One game doesn't change anything - a 7-9 team has no business in the playoffs and this will be illustrated next week when the not-as-jacked Seahawks are away from Qwest playing a team that isn't looking past them.

Yeah, the Bears are going to roll over the Seahawks if they get them next week, just like earlier in the season...

And how the Saints rolled over the Seahawks earlier in the season?

The bears lost to the seahawks earlier in the season.

That was his point. I countered with the fact that the Saints beat the Seahawks earlier this season. None of it means anything now, as New Orleans discovered yesterday. How bad was the stink coming off the Saints' D? Imagine this place after a week-long power outage. :D

pike_market_picture_t0321.jpg

BTW, why doesn't Seattle get Leon Washington on the field more? As dangerous a threat as he is, seems they'd get him out on offense more often.

But for some reason everyone remember when the Patriots smacked the Jets, and no one recalls of week 2.

New England always gets a pass when they fail in the playoffs. Think about it. The Pats almost always enter the season as favorites to run away with the AFC and win it all. For whatever reason, nobody calls them out or rips into them when they come up short. I gotta give then credit thought, they've milked those three titles pretty well. After six seasons of missing out on the Lombardi, you'd think Belichick and Brady would begin to catch some flack for the Patriots' late season woes.

New England always gets a pass when they fail in the playoffs. Think about it. The Pats almost always enter the season as favorites to run away with the AFC and win it all. For whatever reason, nobody calls them out or rips into them when they come up short. I gotta give then credit thought, they've milked those three titles pretty well. After six seasons of missing out on the Lombardi, you'd think Belichick and Brady would begin to catch some flack for the Patriots' late season woes.

Here is why they "get a pass" when they lose in the playoffs.

Since the Brady/Belichick era, the Patriots have made the playoffs 8 out of 10 seasons, winning the Super Bowl 3 of those times. They played in the Super Bowl in 4 of those 8 playoff appearances, had a perfect regular season and have only gotten bounced in their first playoff game of a particular season once (2005 Divisional vs. Denver, and 2009 Wild Card vs. Baltimore.) Also, the 2 times the Patriots missed the playoffs since Brady has been the quarterback were seasons where they didn't make it based on tiebreakers (9-7 in 2002, 11-5 in 2008), so they've been consistent.

It's not like the Patriots have been the Colts who are the Braves of football or the Braves who were, well, the Braves of baseball.

I don't know if I buy this Rex Ryan, "this is personal" stuff. It might actually be personal, but there's no reason to tell the whole world or especially the team you're playing. What I see is a ploy to take the pressure off the team and put it on himself. It worked against Manning and the Colts, why not try it against New England? Cromartie is now joining in.

It seems that the NFL will go after one last cash grab before the CBA ends.

NFL will sell "outdoor plaza" tickets for Super Bowl XLV

From the story:

The NFL and Dallas Cowboys plan to sell tickets for a newly created plaza adjacent to the east Game Day Fan Plaza. Ticket holders would be allowed to watch the Super Bowl on outdoor video screens at least a football field's length away from the action.

The Cowboys had considered creating a similar ticket ? one with access to an end zone plaza but not the stadium ? for the regular season but never pursued that.

Fans with these new Super Bowl plaza tickets would have to go through the same level of screening ? including metal detectors, pat downs and bag checks ? as people with game tickets. The plaza is expected to include food and drink vendors as well as one or more stages for entertainment.

The adjacent Game Day Fan Plazas on each end of the stadium are reserved for people with game tickets.

Now, the "standing room areas" we have seen now have bleachers, as seen here:

SuperBowlStadium04standaloneprod_affiliate58.jpg

So they are not selling tickets for the east and west plazas outside the glass doors. They plan to sell tickets for an area BEYOND that!

Parking for the game is $72 (and basically sold out), so how much do you think they are going to charge for this?

Antonio Cromartie says, in reference to Rex Ryan's comment this week that Brady "points" when he scores, apparently to taunt opponents:

"We see that a lot. He does it a lot," Cromartie said. "That's the kind of guy he is. We really don't give a damn, to tell you the truth."

Okay, what kind of guy is Brady?

"An ass----.

"---- him."

He would also go onto say

"I hate them," Cromartie said. "I don't care. I hate them."

Brady or the Patriots?

"Both," he said.

"Everything is personal with me and the Patriots and what they did to us," Cromartie said. "So, I really don't care. I don't have too much to say about them. I'm just ready to play ball on Sunday."

So who's the next Jet to make a stupid comment this week about the Patriots?

I don't understand this - people on here complain all the time about how the spoiled professional athletes don't care as much as the fans, and when you have one come out and say stuff that a fan would, people complain?

Not that New England needs it, as they just continue to win games, but does 'bulletin board material' really inspire teams to play harder?

"Well, we were just going to take the field and just go through the motions, but since he/they said THAT about us...."

Exactly. Maybe it helps you get fired up and get that initial adrenaline rush, but honestly, if you are at the level of an NFL player, and are in a goddam playoff game, do you really need someone talking smack to get you excited? I've always thought that "bulletin board material" was ridiculously overrated and is pretty much just something for writers to write about.

Nobody would care enough to slaughter him. We probably wouldn't even know his last name.

If you can still manage to talk :censored: to a team after they most recently beat you 45-3...I guess I have no choice but to admire that. That's really ballsy.

Yeah - it's ballsy, it's fun, it's what sports should be. Hell - I'd bring in Mean Gene and let the players cut promos in the locker room before each game, and play them on the jumbotron.

The Jets are a mouthy team. It is who they are.

You fu*ked them up? Ok, they get right back up and say "Eh, lucky shot, assh-le" and keep on doing their thing. There is a part of me that absolutely loves that about this team.

I've said it on here a hundred times - Buddy Ryan was my favorite coach ever. His defensive players all had a swagger, all had personality, and weren't afraid to let their emotions show on the field (nor was Buddy afraid to show emotion.) Unfortunately, Buddy really didn't give a damn about offense, literally telling Randall Cunningham "I don't know, just go out there and do some stuff." I love that Rex has some of that in him, even if it does come across as contrived and as schtick sometimes. There are more cameras now, more money, more... everything. Either way, I would have loved for Buddy to win a SB ring (though it could easily be argued that he was the man in Chicago - he did get carried off the field after all) so since that isn't going to happen, I want Rex to win one for him (as long as it doesn't come at the expense of the Eagles of course.)

I love that the Jets run their mouths. If I was a Jet fan, I would be completely into it and all "suck on that, Patriots!" It creates a much more exciting dynamic going into these games between the two teams. I hate the Jets, but now that's actually because I respect them and have an actual reason to care so much as to get excited to face them. Honestly, watching the Patriots is different now because of Rexy's team. It's more high-stakes and truthfully, more fun.

Say what you want about the Patriots, but they don't take :censored: and they don't talk :censored:, but let you know about it on the field only. They mind their own business and the fact that it has so many people (and other teams) riled up is, I think, a testament to their success because if they sucked, nobody would give a crap (whereas talking trash gets attention no matter how good you are). So far, it's worked.

Everyone knows about Bill Walsh and Joe Montana, and for good reason. Every word I have heard about them and the 49ers of the '80s in my life has been reverential. Winning is geography-blind -- like I said, if the Patriots weren't successful, everyone would think their style is a joke and laugh at them. The fact that you find Belichick's treatment of the press "a-holish" rather than "lame" says a lot more about what they have accomplished than their character.

I don't understand this - people on here complain all the time about how the spoiled professional athletes don't care as much as the fans, and when you have one come out and say stuff that a fan would, people complain?

Neither do I. This isn't the only place it's happening. I was listening to ESPN radio on my way home tonight and the host was having a cow over Ryan's comments. He went on for 15 minutes talking about how sports "doesn't need this type of nonsense" etc. Yet these...ahem... "journalists" are the first ones to complain when athletes and coaches give them the same tired answers over and over again. I think Rex Ryan running his mouth is great. It's fun and it loosens up a league that is as uptight as it gets. The NFL needs more Rex Ryans and Antonio Cromarties.

That said, New England is still going to lay another beating on the Jets. They'll just enjoy it a little more now.

Archived