Prokhorov: Nets to change name for 2012 Brooklyn move

Waffles

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this too. This cannot seriously be the route the Brooklyn team will go. It's so bad and unprofessional and un-NBA. I think the league has to approve logos beforehand and I cant see them allowing this garbage. Yahoo's sports coverage isnt the most credible. They seem to write articles just to cause a stir, so I hope that is the case here. I think Brooklyn/New York Nets is a perfect classy name with history. If they ever use this logo. or something like this, I will lose a lot of respect for the NBA and hope this team goes 0-82.

Is it just me or does the current blue/gray/red theme suit the Brooklyn whatevers much better than it does the New Jersey Nets?

The New Jersey Nets are supposed to be garish red/white/blue, not the subdued blue/grey/red.

But the subdued blue/gray/red really conjures the nostalgic feel, Brooklyn Dodgers aesthetic that they're presumably aiming for after the move.

I don't find them all that nostalgic. They're more bland than anything else, and the net pattern is a fairly modern stroke. So is the trend of subduing team colors, come to think of it. So no.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

From Paul Lukas himself:

Question: Are the Nets slated to become the Brooklyn New Yorkers? Answer: No. I have been told by an NBA source what the Nets will be called when they move a few stinking blocks from my house to Brooklyn, and while I’m not at liberty to disclose what the team name will be, I can affirm that it is definitely not the New Yorkers. Trust me on this one.

That was fun while it lasted.

From Paul Lukas himself:

Question: Are the Nets slated to become the Brooklyn New Yorkers? Answer: No. I have been told by an NBA source what the Nets will be called when they move a few stinking blocks from my house to Brooklyn, and while I?m not at liberty to disclose what the team name will be, I can affirm that it is definitely not the New Yorkers. Trust me on this one.

Thank G-d.

*crosses fingers for Brooklyn Knights*

From Paul Lukas himself:

Question: Are the Nets slated to become the Brooklyn New Yorkers? Answer: No. I have been told by an NBA source what the Nets will be called when they move a few stinking blocks from my house to Brooklyn, and while I?m not at liberty to disclose what the team name will be, I can affirm that it is definitely not the New Yorkers. Trust me on this one.

That was horrifying while it lasted. Thank God that's over.

I was hoping that Prokhorov would introduce a European naming style to the NBA, one which would unite the entire city of New York, while still retaining the Nets monicker in some way.

Inter Nets.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

From Paul Lukas himself:

Thank G-d.

*crosses fingers for Brooklyn Knights*

agreed...i have a Knights concept in the beginning stages so maybe this news can give me some gusto to go forward with it.

I don't find them all that nostalgic. They're more bland than anything else, and the net pattern is a fairly modern stroke. So is the trend of subduing team colors, come to think of it. So no.

Hmm, maybe. I didn't mean the Net pattern, that was just corny. I just felt like dark blue and gray feels like Brooklyn Dodgers to me - blue caps, grey road unis...probably I'm influenced by black and white pictures making things seem "subdued". I still think the gray seems Brooklyn Dodgersish in a way that would otherwise be unbearably drab for a modern NBA team.

From Paul Lukas himself:

*reads waaaay too far into Lukas' post*

Oh my god, are they taking the NY Liberty name from the WNBA?

From Paul Lukas himself:

i was just about to post this, much to the relief of all involved.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

From Paul Lukas himself:

i was just about to post this, much to the relief of all involved.

Anybody mind sending Lukas a note asking if he actually likes the name they choose, not what it is ofcourse. I tend to agree with his opinions so it would be rather interesting to see.

Thanks.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Archived