Prokhorov: Nets to change name for 2012 Brooklyn move

Waffles

I really hope they don't stick with Nets. It's really not a good name at all, and "Brooklyn Nets" sounds like a group of women dancers (as many people have pointed out).

Knights would be a great name. But I also love the idea of Brooklyn Atlantics - it has history behind it, as it pays homage to the old Brooklyn Atlantics baseball team of the 19th Century, who were the first recognized champions of baseball and among the first professional baseball clubs ever. It also refers to the location of the arena - on Atlantic Avenue, over Atlantic Yards. It won't happen, but Brooklyn Atlantics would work on many different levels.

These should be their top 2 choices. Can't go wrong with either. Brooklyn Nets sounds too much like they're trying to go for an ABA name. It'd be one thing if they were going New York Nets, cuz the name kind of stayed with flow when chained to New York Nets, but Brooklyn Nets sounds like a wannabe name.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How the hell is "Nets" a classic-sounding name? It's amazing how things get roundly mocked or criticized around here right up until they are about to change, then all of a sudden they're great and untouchable. See Wizards identity, Clippers jerseys, Nets, etc.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

How the hell is "Nets" a classic-sounding name? It's amazing how things get roundly mocked or criticized around here right up until they are about to change, then all of a sudden they're great and untouchable. See Wizards identity, Clippers jerseys, Nets, etc.

I'm confused on the definition of a classic-sounding name, but in the sense that Nets is kind of quirky, you'd never name a new team that in this day and age, and it's a plural, then I think it fits. Heat? Not a classic-sounding name. Nets, however, seems to be int he same quirky, outdated realm as Lakers. It just works, because it's kind of dumb.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Americans like dumb things.

That explains Jersey Shore.

Personally I think they should keep the Nets name. Not because its a good name, but because its the only one they have had, and it doesn't sound bad after Brooklyn.

Actually, it sounds terrible after Brooklyn. "Brooklynettes." Sounds like a cheerleading squad that drops its R's.

Well, that might be a problem if everyone said team names as if they were one word. Brooklyn (Space) Nets.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Actually, it sounds terrible after Brooklyn. "Brooklynettes." Sounds like a cheerleading squad that drops its R's.

Well, that might be a problem if everyone said team names as if they were one word. Brooklyn (Space) Nets.

Because Brooklyn ends with an "n" and Nets begins with an "n," the two words naturally flow into one another when said together. It almost takes a concerted effort to separate those "n" sounds, even if there is a slight pause or hesitation between the two words.

Some words naturally run together in normal conversation. For instance, most native New Yorkers say "Lawn Guyland," not "Long (pause) Island" or "New York" as if it were one word, not "New (pause) York." Brooklyn Nets would be the same, guaranteed, and it'd come out sounding like "Brooklynettes" with an emphasis on the last syllable.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

"Superbas? was the nickname of the baseball team that would later be called the Brooklyn Dodgers (now the Los Angeles Dodgers). ?Superba? was the title of an 1890s entertainment spectacle brought forth by the Hanlon family. When Ned Hanlon (no relation) managed the Brooklyn club in 1899, his team was called ?Hanlon?s Superbas.? Hanlon was let go as manager in 1905. The Brooklyn team would continue to be called the Superbas until 1910.

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/bridegrooms_brooklyn_baseball_team/

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Brooklyn Superbas... it has history and is unigue. Veryyy unigue. Altho, I have no idea what a Superba is.

Ned Hanlon owned and managed the Brooklyn team at the time and he and his family were known for their spectacle show called 'Superba' in the 1890's. The show was, I gather, equal parts daredevil acrobatics and pantomime. Since the team was just the Brooklyn Baseball Club, the press hung the Superbas nickname on them during the Hanlon tenure.

"Superbas? was the nickname of the baseball team that would later be called the Brooklyn Dodgers (now the Los Angeles Dodgers). ?Superba? was the title of an 1890s entertainment spectacle brought forth by the Hanlon family. When Ned Hanlon (no relation) managed the Brooklyn club in 1899, his team was called ?Hanlon?s Superbas.? Hanlon was let go as manager in 1905. The Brooklyn team would continue to be called the Superbas until 1910.

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/bridegrooms_brooklyn_baseball_team/

Dang, beaten to the punch as I was writing my response... ;). Although the article I read must have been poorly written because it implied the Hanlon's were related and that he had some ownership stake and was involved in the show somehow. Oh well, that's the Internet for you. The pickings on the subject seem pretty slim.

Although, if Hanlon wasn't involved with that show it must have been *very* popular if the press could make that tenuous Hanlon name connection for their nickname and everyone knew what they were talking about.

People generally don't enunciate carefully enough to prevent that sort of elision, especially in a place as famous for unconventional pronunciation as Brooklyn, I'd wager.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

People generally don't enunciate carefully enough to prevent that sort of elision, especially in a place as famous for unconventional pronunciation as Brooklyn, I'd wager.

Indeed. Keep in mind, this is the borough that gave rise to fuhgeddaboudit (which is completely real, having unintentionally said it many times myself) - there's no way your average Brooklynite puts a distinct pause in between "Brooklyn" and "Nets."

(Not a criticism of Brooklynites, BTW, considering I never would say "Brooklyn (pause) Nets" either.)

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

To be fair, folks will likely say "BROOKlynNETS", with equal emphasis on "Brook" and "Nets." In comparison, I think "Brooklynettes" would be pronounced with extra emphasis on "Nets."

A small difference in pronunciation, to be sure, but one nonetheless.

To be fair, folks will likely say "BROOKlynNETS", with equal emphasis on "Brook" and "Nets." In comparison, I think "Brooklynettes" would be pronounced with extra emphasis on "Nets."

po-TAY-to po-TAH-to

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

At least one person understands the intricacies of the language. This is the phenomenon to which I was referring, the admiral and xTr1pleXx. When you say Brooklyn Nets, you have two points of emphasis, those being the first syllable of Brooklyn and, of course, the word Nets. Brooklynettes has a different spoken rhythm because it's one word. The only emphasis is placed on the final syllable. As a result, it's pretty easy to hear and distinguish the difference between someone saying Brooklyn Nets and Brooklynettes, even if they are an overly lax speaker.

At least one person understands the intricacies of the language.

Thanks for telling me I don't understand the intricacies of the English language because I got the idea that people slur their words! :)

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's like calling a hockey team "Goals" or a football team "End Zones." It's dumb.

Well, sort of. The net is part of the assembly that's collectively referred to as the 'goal' in basketball, much the same way the net is part of the assembly that's collectively referred to as the goal in hockey, soccer, lacrosse and other sports of the ilk. Other parts of the basketball goal include the rim and the backboard. In each one of these sports, the net is a specific and integral part of the goal assembly.

Doesn't make it the best name in the world, but I think we can all agree that Nets is a much better name for a basketball, hockey, lacrosse or soccer team than Goals. Or End Zones. I also think that Bats or Diamonds would be a fine name for a baseball team. Totally depends on the situation whether or not these types of names work.

Archived