Prokhorov: Nets to change name for 2012 Brooklyn move

Waffles

Remember way back when (1994) the Nets held a fan voting to pick the franchise "new" name: Dragons won (there were variations to the name as Swamp Dragons or Fire Dragons) and maybe they will use that. But my choice would be Knights or Barons.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember way back when (1994) the Nets held a fan voting to pick the franchise "new" name: Dragons won (there were variations to the name as Swamp Dragons or Fire Dragons) and maybe they will use that. But my choice would be Knights or Barons.

Doesn't another Croat basketball player need to die in a car wreck first?

/too soon?

//Go with Knights

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Tiptops. Close the thread.

I believe that's within your powers.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Brooklyn Deckers :P

As a Net fan (who admittedly doesn't really watch more than 10-12 games anymore, because I'm not even near as into basketball as I used to be as a youngster) I really can't say I blame the team. Nets is (lets face it) a pretty dumb name, and I can't help but wonder if it weren't for having a Jets/Mets in the area if they ever would have adopted it in the first place.

Also, would this be the first "full" name change of a team that didn't move out of a Metropolitan area since the Bullets became the Wizards? I don't mean a Mighty Ducks of Anaheim > Anaheim Ducks or Anaheim Angels > Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim type of change.

I also don't mean some minor-league team in some league nobody's ever heard of.

I guess its still in the metropolitan "area", but its still a location change i.e. New Jersey to Brooklyn. So I dont put it in the same boat as the Wizards name change.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

in the end, atleast it wont be the bobcats :wacko:

i would have liked to see the nets stay, it's a great name regardless.

i just hope it's classy. i'm really starting to hate the NBA. First the super sonics and now this...WTF...

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Did'nt somebody already find that the Nets had gotten Brooklyn Knights copyrighted or something like that. I also remember seeing a website showing what the new arena would look like and something like a knight chess piece being in the background.

Isn't this kind of old news? I thought they said there was going to be a name change when Jay-Z bought the team and said he was going to move them to Brooklyn. I think there was even a website that showed a hint of a logo for a team called the Brooklyn Knights or something along those lines. The logo kind of looked like the horse from the old Pistons logo. You couldn't actually see the logo because it was all shadowed.

This and this is what I remember as well. Brooklyn Knights has been rumored for at least a few years.

(Actually, there is a New York Cosmos, again, so never mind).

So? Nobody has a problem with the MLB and NFL both having teams named the Cardinals, and nobody cared when the NHL and NFL both had teams named the Jets.

Unfortunately, they both play in the same city.

Still think Brooklyn Knights is an awesome name. The team should have a navy and orange scheme though.

So did these two though...

0411_large.jpg8005.jpg

And there were at times 2 or more teams in New York named Yankees, Dodgers, Giants, etc.

Heck, there's two in New York RIGHT NOW named the Yankees:

StatenIslandYankees.png

Besides, not enough people care about soccer, especially minor teams, for this to matter. I would argue that more people probably know about the Staten Island Yankees than the newest incarnation of the Cosmos. The Nets could take the name if they want.

Anubis.png

(Actually, there is a New York Cosmos, again, so never mind).

So? Nobody has a problem with the MLB and NFL both having teams named the Cardinals, and nobody cared when the NHL and NFL both had teams named the Jets.

Unfortunately, they both play in the same city.

Still think Brooklyn Knights is an awesome name. The team should have a navy and orange scheme though.

So did these two though...

0411_large.jpg8005.jpg

And there were at times 2 or more teams in New York named Yankees, Dodgers, Giants, etc.

Heck, there's two in New York RIGHT NOW named the Yankees:

StatenIslandYankees.png

Besides, not enough people care about soccer, especially minor teams, for this to matter. I would argue that more people probably know about the Staten Island Yankees than the newest incarnation of the Cosmos. The Nets could take the name if they want.

1 - with the football and baseball Giants, that was a fairly common practice back then.

2 - are the SI Yanks owned by the Yankees? Anyways, the Cosmos name will always be associated with the NASL team (especially if they end up as an MLS team) that while I'd love to see the Cosmonauts, I think that just kills it.

He should've bought the Wizards. The Washington Cosmonauts. I can see it now :P

6fQjS3M.png

If we're going the Jay-Z route, then it'd be the Brooklyn Dynasty (nickname for Roc-a-Fella and now Roc Nation). If we're going the Prokhorov route, it'd be the Brooklyn Dynamo.

Both combined...say hello to your BROOKLYN DYNOS. (And now Toronto can finally change their name to the Huskies)!

bYhYmxh.png

RIP Brooklyn Nets... what couldve actually been a cool team name

How exactly is that a cool team name? How is "Nets" a relevant team name at all? It's like a baseball team being the New York Bases, or football team being the New York End Zones.

Go 'Zones!

Dead on, Vet. Though I would have used "Goal Posts" for football.

newsig.jpg

RIP Brooklyn Nets... what couldve actually been a cool team name

How exactly is that a cool team name? How is "Nets" a relevant team name at all? It's like a baseball team being the New York Bases, or football team being the New York End Zones.

Go 'Zones!

Dead on, Vet. Though I would have used "Goal Posts" for football.

I think the New York Pylons would be appropriate. It could represent both the pylons and the plural of "pile on" with some poetic license.

ua_logo.jpg

Yes there used to be a Brooklyn Knights logo. It was on the website BrooklynKnights.com. However, the site has been taken down this past year ( Really can't remember when). I think it disappeared sometime around time when they were considering scrapping the Brooklyn move.

The logo had the Nets shield with a horse in front of it. You couldn't make it out too well because it was darkened like it was awaiting to be unveiled.

Yes there used to be a Brooklyn Knights logo. It was on the website BrooklynKnights.com. However, the site has been taken down this past year ( Really can't remember when). I think it disappeared sometime around time when they were considering scrapping the Brooklyn move.

The logo had the Nets shield with a horse in front of it. You couldn't make it out too well because it was darkened like it was awaiting to be unveiled.

Thank you. I thought there was something to that and I don't recall it ever being debunked here. Of course, Prokhorov could go his own route, but it seems the plan was in place for "Brooklyn Knights," which makes sense on many levels, including the "BK" initials, the "Brooklynites" angle and the fact that it is at least close to "Nets," which while not great, has enough history -- including in NY -- that people will be calling for its return before long no matter what they are renamed.

Archived