Prokhorov: Nets to change name for 2012 Brooklyn move

Waffles

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excuse me for being a Bill Simmons fan, but awhile ago on his podcast he was talking about this and had the idea of taking Golden State's nickname from them and naming the Nets the Brooklyn Warriors. Then Golden State would have to find a new name, but they are irrelevent anyway, so they could fold I suppose.

Brooklyn Warriors. It's nice.

I suppose the joke here is that the Knicks haven't exactly been relevant in recent years either, right?

Do people really honestly believe that Sacramento or Golden State would give up their nicknames just so some team in a larger city can use it?

Excuse me for being a Bill Simmons fan, but awhile ago on his podcast he was talking about this and had the idea of taking Golden State's nickname from them and naming the Nets the Brooklyn Warriors. Then Golden State would have to find a new name, but they are irrelevent anyway, so they could fold I suppose.

Brooklyn Warriors. It's nice.

I suppose the joke here is that the Knicks haven't exactly been relevant in recent years either, right?

Do people really honestly believe that Sacramento or Golden State would give up their nicknames just so some team in a larger city can use it?

No.

I doubt it, but this is the NBA we're talking about...

RIP Brooklyn Nets... what couldve actually been a cool team name

How exactly is that a cool team name? How is "Nets" a relevant team name at all? It's like a baseball team being the New York Bases, or football team being the New York End Zones.

Go 'Zones!

When the Nets, then a member of the ABA and known as New Jersey Americans, moved to New York via Long Island in 1968, the renamed themselves the Neew York Nets. The name rhymed with 2 other NY Metro Area professional sports teams, the Mets (MLB) and the Jets (AFL and later NFL); additionally, the "Nets" name is related to basketball in general, since the net, of course, is part of a basketball hoop.

I'm not sure what the point of your history lesson was. It's still a dumb name for a sports team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Brooklyn Superbas

I have no idea what a Superba is, but I've always loved the name. When I was younger I used to hope that Brooklyn got an expansion MLB team that adopted that name (of course as a little kid, I didn't realize that Brooklyn was in NYC and that there was no chance for expansion there.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

and the name it will no-doubt be: Brooklyn Dodgers. Regardless of sport, whenever a new sports team comes into BK they try to use this name. A couple times they have.

I can't imagine that the L.A. Dodgers would allow that. And, regardless of the history, would we really want two teams in the four major sports leagues with such a location-specific nickname? Sure, there's two Cardinals, two Giants, two Panthers, etc., but two Dodgers?? I just can't see it.

I'm pretty sure the Los Angeles Dodgers won't have a say in this. You also forgot the Texas and New York Rangers. If it's possible for the other duplicates, what's the difference here. There is none.

and the name it will no-doubt be: Brooklyn Dodgers. Regardless of sport, whenever a new sports team comes into BK they try to use this name. A couple times they have.

I can't imagine that the L.A. Dodgers would allow that. And, regardless of the history, would we really want two teams in the four major sports leagues with such a location-specific nickname? Sure, there's two Cardinals, two Giants, two Panthers, etc., but two Dodgers?? I just can't see it.

I'm pretty sure the Los Angeles Dodgers won't have a say in this. You also forgot the Texas and New York Rangers. If it's possible for the other duplicates, what's the difference here. There is none.

You seem pretty certain there, but I'd suspect that you're mistaken.

The L.A. Dodgers still own the rights to the name "Brooklyn Dodgers", and they're not giving them up any time soon, as they (and MLB) still make a ton of money marketing Brooklyn Dodger gear. The other examples you cite are different, as there was likely nobody who owned "Houston Texans" or "New York Rangers" back when those teams were named. The Chiefs may still own "Dallas Texans", and may have been able to claim that a professional football team named the Texans infringed on their rights, but they either don't, or signed off on it.

Here's the Brooklyn Dodger link:

http://www.trademark...s-78832044.html

Whatsoever Prokhorov want, Prokhorov get. He has much opulence.

When he has chance to buy most sub-premium NBA team package...

...he jump in it.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

When is the last time the NBA had this happen? What are you talking about? This is the NBA?Explain. To my recollection a city never gave it's name over to another simply because the other wanted. So what's with this is the NBA?

It hasn't happened before... although there was a lot of speculation about the Hornets swapping identities with Utah when they first moved to New Orleans. Either way, in a league as merchandise-driven and devoid of integrity as the NBA, I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility.

Whatsoever Prokhorov want, Prokhorov get. He has much opulence.

When he has chance to buy most sub-premium NBA team package...

...he jump in it.

I want to thank the both of you for making that commercial, and any Nets reference, about 20x better. Now I won't be able to read anything regarding Mikhail Prokhorov without thinking, "I wonder if he keeps specially-bred miniature giraffes as pets."

Because if he does, you know Hova's got a hippo the size of a hamster.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Brooklyn Rebels? or even Brooklyn Devils. We used to have a baseball and football team called the Giants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Brooklyn#Civil_War

Civil War

Fervent in the Union cause, the city of Brooklyn played a major role in supplying troops and materiel for the American Civil War. The most well known regiment to be sent off to war from the city was the 14th Brooklyn "Red Legged Devils". They fought from 1861 to 1864 and wore red the entire war. They were the only Regiment named after a city, and President Lincoln called them into service personally, making them part of a handful of 3 year enlisted soldiers in April 1861. Unlike other regiments during the American Civil War, the 14th wore a uniform inspired by that of the French Chasseurs, a light infantry used for quick assaults on the enemy.

150px-SSP.jpg

As both a seaport and a manufacturing center, Brooklyn was well prepared to play to the Union's strengths in shipping and manufacturing. The two combined in shipbuilding; the ironclad Monitor was built in Brooklyn.

I doubt it, but this is the NBA we're talking about...

It's not going to happen. The Warriors haven't been much to write home about for quite a long while now but they still are an old franchise dating back to the 1940s, have won three championships and are very popular in their little sphere of influence. The Kings haven't been nearly as successful, but they, too, enjoy a very high degree of popularity in the Sacramento area. These franchises are not just going to give up their identity on a whim, no matter how much cash might be thrown their way.

Brooklyn Rebels? or even Brooklyn Devils. We used to have a baseball and football team called the Giants.

http://en.wikipedia....oklyn#Civil_War

Civil War

Fervent in the Union cause, the city of Brooklyn played a major role in supplying troops and materiel for the American Civil War. The most well known regiment to be sent off to war from the city was the 14th Brooklyn "Red Legged Devils". They fought from 1861 to 1864 and wore red the entire war. They were the only Regiment named after a city, and President Lincoln called them into service personally, making them part of a handful of 3 year enlisted soldiers in April 1861. Unlike other regiments during the American Civil War, the 14th wore a uniform inspired by that of the French Chasseurs, a light infantry used for quick assaults on the enemy.

150px-SSP.jpg

As both a seaport and a manufacturing center, Brooklyn was well prepared to play to the Union's strengths in shipping and manufacturing. The two combined in shipbuilding; the ironclad Monitor was built in Brooklyn.

If the civil war was happening today, I wonder who would buy the rights to the soldiers' uniforms? The North could have a swoosh, while the Confederacy would have a UA on it.

http://en.wikipedia....oklyn#Civil_War

Civil War

150px-SSP.jpg

If the civil war was happening today, I wonder who would buy the rights to the soldiers' uniforms? The North could have a swoosh, while the Confederacy would have a UA on it.

Yep, Nike always signs the winners. :D

Seriously, though - it's gotta be "Knights," but I rather like "Ironclads."

Archived