Prokhorov: Nets to change name for 2012 Brooklyn move

Waffles

In the NetsDaily translation of the interview, provided by a Russian-speaking fan, Prokhorov is asked "What will be the team's name after the move to Brooklyn?" His response: "I can not tell you right now, but the documents are already submitted to the NBA office. The name change will happen in 2012 season."

Given that this is translated, couldn't it simply mean that the team's name will change from the "New Jersey Nets" to the "Brooklyn Nets" or "New York Nets"?

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope the team chooses a name like Knights or Barons. It would be nice to see an NBA pick a nickname that will last. There seems to be too many teams that have outdated nicknames. Raptors seemed like a cool nickname when Jurassic Park was popular, now it just seems a little strange.

Brooklyn Central Red Aremy - a nod to the old Soviet Union Regime (they would need to have CCCP on all jerseys)

Brooklyn Wolverines - a nod to Patrick Swayzie and the other find lads who helped terrorize the Communist infiltrators in "Red Dawn"

But in all seriousness...

Brooklyn Bridges - I am NOT from New York, but after visiting I have to say the Brooklyn Bridge is without a doubt one of the most beautiful sites in the US. Sorry Golden Gaters, just is.

I doubt they would go with a name like that, but just my humble opinion it would be the best way for a quick and easy to adopt identity (other than Dodgers, and I doubt they would want to go there)

I know the name is stupid, but I'm kind of disappointed they won't be the Nets once they make the move. It's been around for so long, it'll just feel weird to lose it, and I don't even follow the NBA that religiously.

If they are going to change it, though, Brooklyn Knights is the way to go. A blue and orange colour scheme, however, is not.

Also, Brooklyn Trotskies. Just throwing it out there :P

the NBA got to where it is largely by riding hip hop's coat-tails in the 90s, but we all know what integrity means to guys like David Stern)

Gonna go out on a limb and say it had more to do with the greatest basketball player of all time being in our midst

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

True but right after MJ there was that strange Iverson era which was all hip hop. The league quickly realized it was a mistake. Funny but that was right around the time that American basketball started to go downhill on an international level. The game had changed to almost a playround style too much one on one. Bad shooting, too much dribbling not enough passing. And 1 streetball is one of the worst things for young kids to watch and it has really hurt the game here. I coach various teams at the AAU level and every kid thinks they're the next skip to my lou or hot sauce dribbling like crazy and killing the flow of the game while alienating their teammates. I recently went on a trip to Japan and went to a basketball clinic there. I was absolutely amazed at the unselfihness of the players and the passing was unbelieveable. We have got to get back to teaching our kids the fundamaentals and the team game or we won't be the best anymore that is what hip hop has done to basketball. Guys, sorry for the long tangent completely off the subject but I could'nt resist.

boilerplate rubbish about hip-hop ruining the NBA with YE GODS ONE-ON-ONE and "fundamentals" existing beyond the NBA

What do you call the basketball played by the 2003, 2005, and 2007 champions? And, for that matter, 2004?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_Knights

Hm. Guess someone thought of it a while ago. Not that some rinky-dink youth soccer club can't be bought off, of course. Better to go with "New York Nets." I'm sorta weary of the whole fetishization of Brooklyn.

boilerplate rubbish about hip-hop ruining the NBA with YE GODS ONE-ON-ONE and "fundamentals" existing beyond the NBA

What do you call the basketball played by the 2003, 2005, and 2007 champions? And, for that matter, 2004?

Boring?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In the NetsDaily translation of the interview, provided by a Russian-speaking fan, Prokhorov is asked "What will be the team's name after the move to Brooklyn?" His response: "I can not tell you right now, but the documents are already submitted to the NBA office. The name change will happen in 2012 season."

Given that this is translated, couldn't it simply mean that the team's name will change from the "New Jersey Nets" to the "Brooklyn Nets" or "New York Nets"?

No. A city name change requires no documentation under the NBA's governing instruments. This is a city and nickname change.

nav-logo.png

Archived